• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Some Peoples Kids

jfink

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Fink
The wife and I took the Wing and went for a long ride today up through the forest, to Livingston. We ate at the Blue Duck Kitchen, which I highly recommend if you are looking for a couples lunch/dinner destination. From there, we went up to Onalaska and made a wrong (really right) turn, which put us in Moscow then Corrigan. It was a fantastic day to ride and looking at the weather forecast, it looked like the last good ride day for us for a while.

So, coming back into Trinity, just before the railroad tracks my wife yells, look out for the cat. I saw the cat, but what she didn't immediately see was a 2 year old who had followed the cat onto the highway. He was probably two feet tall, really a little munchkin, kinda waddling across the road. The kid was obviously following the cat. This is Highway 94, a major road coming from Groveton. There were trucks and cars preparing to turn right onto 94 from a side street, another vehicle coming the other direction and me just coming into town. I am pretty sure they all saw what I saw, but just in case, I stopped within 20 feet of the kid blocking the side turning vehicles and began honking my horn (good horn on Goldwings). And so did the other vehicles. A woman, may be the mother, came running out, scooped up the child and ran back with the child in her arms. She didn't make eye contact with any of us. I am certain she was embarrassed and hopefully a little frightened for what she had let happen. The child was so small, it could have been easily missed and this could have turned out much worse than it did. I have always heard to watch out for children playing. Heck, there are signs everywhere. But I have never had this type of thing happen and it was a bit shocking to me.

We finished the ride uneventfully, even drove by Tourmeister's house and visited with our relatives who are building a house nearby. But I could not get that little kid waddling out onto the highway, out of my mind. So writing this down was therapy for me. :)

Glad it ended well.

Just a good reminder to keep attentive.
Kid is probably still clueless to what happened.

I thought your wife did not care to ride any more?
Or is that just the long European tours?

My in-laws have had several places around that area (Riverside, Trinity, Onalaska, Livingston) and is some pretty areas up there for sure. Never been up there on a bike though. :(

Just a good reminder to keep attentive.
Kid is probably still clueless to what happened.

I thought your wife did not care to ride any more?
Or is that just the long European tours?

My in-laws have had several places around that area (Riverside, Trinity, Onalaska, Livingston) and is some pretty areas up there for sure. Never been up there on a bike though. :(

Yeah, it's true. She doesn't ride much with me, so today was an exception. I wanted it to be a good one. So with lunch, visiting relatives and a very nice day, it turned out well. And as you mention, there are some really nice roads for just touring around. Took it easy, saw the sights, smelled the roses, and got a little bit of hay fever and sneezes. But hay (poor pun), that can happen sitting at home. :)

I was wondering where you were going with this, I'm glad it turned out okay. I figured you were going to say something like, then the baby daddy came out flashing tats and fingers

Is it the house almost right across from the entrance to our neighborhood (in Canyon Ranch subdivision)? Or, is it further down by that house with the horrid blue fence, blue roofs, etc,...?

Of course a toddler is clueless. And it's amazing how quickly a toddler can get away from you. I suspect that most parents here have experienced that.

Is it the house almost right across from the entrance to our neighborhood (in Canyon Ranch subdivision)? Or, is it further down by that house with the horrid blue fence, blue roofs, etc,...?

It is the one right at the entrance. They are finally making progress, now that they have resolved the problem with the original builder. Talking with them Monday, they were saying there are several people looking for that builder, he has just disappeared.

Of course a toddler is clueless. And it's amazing how quickly a toddler can get away from you. I suspect that most parents here have experienced that.

I totally agree, he will not remember this at all! If anything he will remember the cat. I like to give the people the benefit of the doubt and hope she just made a mistake ... a HUGE mistake and will not let it happen again.

Back