• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

some rides are better than others..

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

It was a gorgeous day: warm and dry and clear and low wind. I took the Italian Terror out, aka Betttina, the MV Agusta B3 Dragster RR. Nice long loop of about 80 miles towards the coast and back.

However, the traffic was horrid: seems everyone was out on a Saturday morning. Endless red lights, left turners, and constant vehicles running up to stop at intersection just before I rode past. I never really relaxed on this ride, except for a few brief sections. Of course I got caught behind a truck and camper blocking the view, and ten mph below any speed limits. I made it home fine, but not much fun.

Maybe tomorrow will be better? I think I will try NW and W on the blue Goose.

YMMV. But yeah, some rides are not that good.

LoL LD

Always remember the old adage
“the worst day on the bike is still better than the best day on the job.”

I rode both Super Dukes and the 950 SMR. I did 3 45 mile loops. Got it done for me. The most traffic was a group of 5 bicyclists taking up the whole lane. Yesterday I scared up a deer on the 690 SMC-R and was able to stop easily before hitting the thing. Every motorcycle ride is a joy. Some are just more better than others, you know, Thicker-er.

Ride now, it's only going to get worse:

I rode both Super Dukes and the 950 SMR. I did 3 45 mile loops. Got it done for me. The most traffic was a group of 5 bicyclists taking up the whole lane. Yesterday I scared up a deer on the 690 SMC-R and was able to stop easily before hitting the thing. Every motorcycle ride is a joy. Some are just more better than others, you know, Thicker-er.
With your garage about any ride is going to be exciting!! Awesome.

As both a pedal (my weekend choice lately) and motor cyclist, I don't cut bicyclists much slack when they inconsiderately take up the lane. I'll offer up a beep of the horn on approach and if no attempt is made to "skinny up" then more beeping will surely ensue.

Last edited:
Yep... some are worse than others.

The bane of my existence has been dogs lately. I've had more dogs run off of peoples property to chase me in the last month than in the last 12+ years of street riding. What gives?

Quite honestly, I don't blame you a bit. It's a savage place. But then again, yours is a pretty bold statement coming from someone who lives in Houston, which is literally the most miserable motorcycling I've ever endured.
Touché. :-)

Houston is not exactly the mecca of motorcycling destinations, that's for sure. The saving grace is that there are some better roads not too far out, and the hill country is 2-3hrs west. Can't hold a candle to places like SoCal canyons and Smokie Mountains obviously, but I suppose next to a blind person, 1-eye man is king.

As both a pedal (my weekend choice lately) and motor cyclist, I don't cut bicyclists much slack when they inconsideraly take up the lane. I'll offer up a beep of the horn on approach and if no attempt is made to "skinny up" then more beeping will surely ensue.
I used to ride road bicycles and it's really a double edged sword. If you try and.make yourself skinny, some people will fly by you like you aren't even there and run you off the road. So...you take the entire lane.

I found myself doing both. I take the lane until there's a.car back, have them slow down, and then I move over and get skinny so they could pass. Of course, if the other lane was open, they could just pass without slowing down.

I think I will focus riding during weekday mornings, and skip weekends and see if it's better. Downside is more truck construction traffic creeping along and spewing gravel.

Another thing to consider is instead of more frequent short rides staying closer to home, do longer rides that gets you out of the city hustle and bustle. There are a few retirees in the Houston area I know from a Kawasaki forum and they say their typical day ride is 200-300 miles. I don't think you necessarily need to go that far out, but I like that they take the time to get away from the busy roads to enjoy the good bits. You still have to ride through traffic to and fro, but at least a greater % of your riding time is spent out in the open.

This morning I took a longer ride out west, on I-69, to Willis then Fulshear and home. Traffic was lighter.

One of the issues has been literally years of road construction around Sugar Land area: makes getting out of the city more difficult. I-69 is finally open enough it is reasonable, although the Hwy Ten cut north from 69 to 36 is now so poorly marked that I missed it, had to ride more miles, loop around, and find it again.

I avoided the nasty entry/exit always chaotic Shell station -- filled at a safer place.

The MV is actually a very fine cruiser for longer distances. Beautiful day. Grateful.

Attachments

• MV_Brutale_RR_A_Jul27_18 copy.jpg
    MV_Brutale_RR_A_Jul27_18 copy.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 120
I like that hwy 10 then 36 to Sealy. Straight roads but seldom any traffic. When I used to do long day rides and long weekend 3-Sister runs with a small group, we would meet up at Newman's Bakery in Bellville for breakfast. That route takes me straight to it.

Just make sure to ride like a schoolboy through the 2 little towns along the way, Orchard and Wallis.

I like that hwy 10 then 36 to Sealy. Straight roads but seldom any traffic. When I used to do long day rides and long weekend 3-Sister runs with a small group, we would meet up at Newman's Bakery in Bellville for breakfast. That route takes me straight to it.

Just make sure to ride like a schoolboy through the 2 little towns along the way, Orchard and Wallis.

Yes on Orchard and Wallis speed traps..I am very careful. Also large trucks, and patience. I used to meet my riding buddy at Newman's, but stopped with virus risk. Likely Guzzi turn tomorrow, and skip the weekend.

Back