• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Some warbird fun...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Precision Camera had a Moose Peterson seminar on Air-to-Air and Ground-to-Air photography this past weekend. Friday evening was spent in the classroom where Moose gave his presentation on how to shoot this kind of shot. Saturday morning was spent in San Marcos at the Commemorative Air Force hangar to apply the skills we learned the previous evening. Initially there was only one warbird (T6) rolled out of the hangar for some static shots, then it took off for Georgetown to the North about 60 miles. The T6 did one fly-by over the hangar for us to practice and that was it for the Ground-to-Air experience. To say I was a bit disappointed would be an understatement. However, I totally understand the cost associated with flying these old aircraft. A P39 AiraCobra was later rolled out. There were four re-enactors present to model by the aircraft this year. Yet the "Rosie the Riveter" women were not there. Again, a bit of a disappointment. So what we wound up with was a hangar shoot of static aircraft and four dudes dressed up in period correct uniform. I'm glad I brought along some artificial sunshine for a few portrait type shots.

Here's a few snaps from the San Marcos experience:

DSC_5059.jpg

DSC_9871.jpg

DSC_9906.jpg

DSC_9968.jpg

After the San Marcos shoot was done I headed back to Georgetown where of all things the T6 that left San Marcos earlier in the day was now there at the airport! A big car show was going on and the T6 along with the B25J "Devil Dog" were giving pay-for-hops. There was a second T6 there as well.
DSC_5652.jpg

DSC_5904.jpg

Overall, the seminar part was fun and I picked up on a few tidbits of information I could apply down the road. Moose is a hoot to listen to his stories. The practical shoot part on Saturday was a bust in my opinion. I'd call it more of an environmental portrait opportunity than a "Reach For The Sky" as promoted. And the Georgetown shoot was sheer luck the birds were up for the car show. That said, I did apply some technical things learned about prop rpm/shutter speed, and sunlight direction for highlighting prop rotation that carried over well.

If you'd like to see the entire gallery, click >>HERE<<

Nice. It's good to see you are still out and about with a camera.

Nice. It's good to see you are still out and about with a camera.
Thanks!

I still try to create images worth a smile to myself or someone else. Well, that and bug Woodbutcher on "hey - what kind of bird is this"? lol

Back