• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Somebody take me to elementary school on heated gear.....

Thanks a lot to everyone for the information. Sounds like the heated gear is the way to go and a jacket would be better than a vest.

One thing that I am wondering is how a liner would interact with my riding jacket. I see that I would need to wear a long johns top as a base layer and then put on the heated liner. Would I then use the windproof liner in my riding jacket over the heated liner or the quilted insulated liner? I know....dumb question but like I said in the title of this post, this is elementary school for me since I have no experience or knowledge in this segment of riding.

I don't see a need for anything over your heated jacket other than your regular jacket unless your regular jacket is mesh. If so, than yes, you need to have something over that so the wind isn't pulling the heat from the jacket. That's one of the reasons I like Warm n Safe's "shirt" as it puts the heat right next to my body.

Last edited:
If it's cold as in 40 degrees and below then yes, I will wear a sweatshirt over the top of the heated shirt with my jacket over the top of that, and if necessary I will put a fisherman's windbreaker over my jacket to cut any wind infiltration.

Probably just the windproof liner is all you'll need but if there is enough space for the quilted liner too, that would be good for arctic conditions.

Probably just the windproof liner is all you'll need but if there is enough space for the quilted liner too, that would be good for arctic conditions.
Agree. One of the main reasons I like the heated gear is to get rid of the bulk.

All you should really need on top of the heated jacket is something to break wind and of course to provide protection. There is room for the insulated liner, but I don't use it because I don't like the bulk. I just turn up the jacket a bit more.

Anybody have issue with keeping the battery voltage up while riding with heated gear? I’m on a KTM 690 specifically.

Anybody have issue with keeping the battery voltage up while riding with heated gear? I’m on a KTM 690 specifically.
Even on my Wing, if I'm sitting at a light and me and wife both have our gear on and all my lights are blazing, and all my electronics are running... my battery will start to run down and I'll get the warning on my radar detector. But as soon as I'm back under way with higher RPMs then I'm fine.

If a bike uses incandescent bulbs, switching to LEDs can help free up some wattage.
That said, my 20 year old bike's charging system appears to do okay.

Back