• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

sometime... no more Italians, find one Japanese...frustrated

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
KTM forum said new 890 Duke R is European market only? Not sure. Yes, I checked out the small Duke, and yes there is a quality dealer in Houston, close to me. It would be a worthy replacement for my MV. Its Austrian, made in Asia?
TJs said they're getting one.

Mancuso SW used to be an excellent store when Carlos ran it. Now... not so much. As for them dropping Triumph, that is as much on Triumph as it is on Mancuso. Story I hear is Triumph wants dedicated floor space and minimum stock/orders. I think they want strong dealers with a big Triumph presence, at the expense of killing off stores that don't have a focus on pushing the brand.

Triumph customer service has gone downhill as well. Right after I signed the papers on my '09 Sprint ST at Mancuso SW, and while I was waiting to take delivery, with my family in their huge showroom, the service manager came and apologized that it will take about an hour delay, as Triumph USA has just approved the warranty replacement of the apparently cupped front tire. I test rode the bike and looked over the whole bike prior to that, and I honestly did not think the front tire was all that bad. Well, I wasn't gonna complain about a free new tire. Not 30mins later, they were done and I rode home.

Compare that to earlier this year my having to make 4 trips to the dealer service dept to get a frikking front turn signal replaced... and that was only approved after I made a phone inquiry directly to Triumph USA customer service. I spend way more money and time than if I just buy & replace the **** turn signal stalk myself.

Would I buy a Triumph again? If the bike is what I want... absolutely. All the Triumph triples I've owned were great and no less reliable than the Japanese bikes I've had. The bikes are not the problem; the dealer service dept and sometimes the mfr reps are. And that I find is a universal problem regardless of dealer or mfr. I've had facepalm experience with Japanese bike dealer service dept too. Each experience I accumulate just reaffirms my resolve to stay da heck away from dealer service dept like they are leper colonies.

Oh, the Low Ride Height version... AFAIK, it is not a special order unit, though if you really want to go that route, and you can find a dealer willing to go through with it, you probably can. It is just another model bike the dealer can put on their order sheet to the importer. The LRH model is common enough I've seen it in several dealers. Last new one I saw was at the Katy dealer, and it might have sat on their floor for a while. If you must buy from a local dealer though, it might be a hit and miss. OTOH, if you are willing to cast a wide net and buy from farther away (I've done so many times), there are plenty to be found.

I went with the LRH mostly for my oldest to ride. The suspension is a little stiffer than the regular ride height version, but there is still plenty of cornering clearance for carving corners. I will eventually rework it into regular ride height, after I get my son used to riding it (compared to his 250cc dual sport). I've already bought a 765 RS ohlins rear shock from ebay. The front only require a single replacement spring to make it into regular ride height, because it's Showa's SFF forks.

For now though... being able to plant both feet FLAT on terra firma sure is a rare treat I seldom get on 2 wheels.

Last edited:

Dunno if the restyled 2020 STR 765 R will have a LRH version or not.

Roman augers were positive today. The Guzzi and I had a nice centurium romp. Really nice not to have 20 mph winds for a change. Patience for now. MV out tomorrow, probably northwest.

You know what concerns me in Houston area: the very few independent motorcycle mechanic shops will shutter. I know of one, and he is superb (MPH). The other I have not tried, but has a great reputation (Motorcycles Unlimited). We shall re-evaluate the situation come fall.

Back