• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

sometimes the only answer is.. or the dog days of summer

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Got out for a nice Guzzi swan-about yesterday morning. This despite the heat and humidity. I, for one, struggle with this time of year on the Gulf Coast of TEXAS. Grinds me down. Summer never ends. Blowtorch sun, and drip down your neck humidity, add mosquitoes, then there are road rage cagers, and construction everywhere.

The answer, for me, is to ride anyway. There is something unique about firing up the machine, and rolling away. A nice cruise, sort of like flying. Cools off at speed, and sometimes like yesterday-- there are enough clouds to break the sun, and its more bearable. Right gear helps. The blue Italian sang its songs, what a magnificent piece of engineering. I wanted more than 60 miles, but my body said nope. Afternoon nap required for recovery, and rehydration.

Dog days, more like Black Dog days for me. 2019 has been just "challenging". Its not over yet. My emotional swings are beveled off by bike rides. But, I have to almost force myself to go ride.

Fall will come?

I rode 65 miles here yesterday morning yesterday as well on some dirt roads in Bandera and Kerr counties... it was a nice head clearing.

Wife has been on a business trip for almost 2 weeks so I can't even ride to work since I need to handle drop-off and pick-up for the little ones.

My solution has been planning my trip to the Skip Barber museum this November. Finding camping sites and plotting our routes. That and ordering a cheapie Akaso action camera (Chinese GoPro knock off) and mounting accessories for the bike.

When I was growing up in Texas and we would have 21 straight days of triple digit temperatures we called it August.

While the heat is harder on my bones than it was 50 years ago, I've spent most free moments over the past two months walking behind a 24" shredder, not riding. Riding isn't bad compared to working outdoors in the sun - on foot. I don't know... Back in the '60s the buses didn't have air conditioning, the schools didn't have air conditioning, the house I grew up in didn't have air conditioning. My best friend and I would spend six weeks each summer living in a camp at the river with our parents shifting duty watching us by day or staying over at night. Great way to be a kid. What's the Nike slogan? Just do it.
m

When I was growing up in Texas and we would have 21 straight days of triple digit temperatures we called it August.
Back in the '60s the buses didn't have air conditioning, the schools didn't have air conditioning, the house I grew up in didn't have air conditioning.
I danced to that tune also.

All I know is that if it's not fun, you're doing it wrong. Said another way, stop doing it if it's not fun.

Personally, I don't ride if I think it's too hot to enjoy. Then again....it's rarely too hot to enjoy a short ride in the morning.

I'm not saying it's not even better when the temp is perfect too....just that I've had quite a few days where I've done a lot of sweating and still had a big smile on my face.

I myself never had to walk uphill to school... both ways. I like my A/C, so I guess I'm a softie. ;-)

I got plenty other things to keep me occupied for a month without riding. Contrary to what my wife thinks, having too many hobbies can be a good thing.

A woman and man drive through a small town.
Her: Isn't that a glorious old Victorian house.
Him: Yes, if you're an unemployed carpenter.

While I love our place in the sticks, I sometimes think it is more maintenance than a wooden sailboat.

Yesterday morning sucked. Even at 6 am it was too hot and humid. I was sweating when I got to class (about a 1:15 ride in Houston traffic, was worse than normal yesterday).
Today was not bad at all, almost cool at speed, but even in traffic was comfortable. Coming home today around 2 pm was brutal. Yesterday was not as bad temp wise, but I got rained on.

Lucydad, glad you're getting through. Me, I'm the opposite, I love summer. But I was raised on the coast so I also maintain summer is for playing in the water. So I'll ride, but there is room in the riding schedule to tube the river, hit the beach or chill at the lake. Spring and Fall for camping, hiking and of course riding. As for winter, that's misery to me. I hate being cold, it hurts my bones.

The humidity, can't stand it. Makes my hair crazy.

Hair? What's that? Except on my back... lol... given that, I am thinking the Italian Terror needs fired up tomorrow. Need to plan route not intersecting major road construction. I got nailed last weekend at Crabb River road.

Lol

Ugh it seems construction is everywhere these days, can't escape it. It's happening around here too. I've begun to think it may be time to consider escaping this city prison, trapped by traffic congestion, school zones, stop lights, road construction, new bldg construction. The noise - it's getting too loud here and has been the last few years.

Amen to that. I lived in San Antonio in the early 60s when nobody had A/C. I remember the first A/C-equipped buses, called "Dreamliners." Somehow we spent the summer on our bicycles, & never even noticed the heat & humidity. Ah, to be 14 again......

I myself never had to walk uphill to school... both ways. I like my A/C, so I guess I'm a softie. ;-)

Being as I was an Army brat & dormed through high school in Germany in the late 60s, I did sometimes walk through a foot of snow to school ---- but it was only 100 yards.

Amen to that. I lived in San Antonio in the early 60s when nobody had A/C. I remember the first A/C-equipped buses, called "Dreamliners." Somehow we spent the summer on our bicycles, & never even noticed the heat & humidity. Ah, to be 14 again......

Being as I was an Army brat & dormed through high school in Germany in the late 60s, I did sometimes walk through a foot of snow to school ---- but it was only 100 yards.

Meters?

Was planning a ride this morning, but had to do some deadline type estate contract/lawyer type business. After that, too hot. But I did go into garage, adjust MV Agusta tire pressures, cleaned the bike, checked oil both bikes... ready to roll early Saturday. Traffic is better on Saturdays anyway.

Back