• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Somewhat OT: SEM color coat on waxed cotton?

Reaction score
I have a single Triumph leather and waxed cotton pannier, the cover is leather and the basic bottom of the bag is waxed cotton. I want to do a color change. I have some SEM color coat, a fabric & leather dye used for automotive interiors, in the color I want the bag to be. Now, I am confident I can recolor the leather part of the bag with the SEM, I've used it many times before on leather. Wondering if anyone here knows if the SEM will adhere to the waxed cotton part of the bag.

I am not going to be much help. What is SEM color coat?

haha. It's a vinyl and fabric dye used to restore or recondition/recolor automotive materials like carpet, dashboards, etc. Let of like a special paint.

My concern is that it won't adhere to the waxed cotton due to the wax. SEM's literature that I can find doesn't mention cotton/canvas at all, waxed or not.

I doubt it will work. The way I understand it, waxed cotton is done at the thread before it is woven into fabric so it is deeply infused. If this paint/dye can stick to wax or paraffin, then it might work but there aren't many things that can stick to wax.

Back