• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Soozy's 50 First Dates Tour:The Ride Report

For my last day in the Pacific Northwest, we went to McMinville to see the Spruce Goose.

Here is some pie for your pie run Saturday.

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4771.jpg

See the tail section in the background? BIG

IMG_4778.jpg

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4789.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4794.jpg

I had to stitch the tail picture.

TailofSpruceGoose.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

IMG_4806.jpg

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4809.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg

Look at the pontoon compared to the fuselage.

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4823.jpg

Three stitches and I didn't get the whole wing. Each engine is 3000hp and there are 8 of them. When Hughes flew it, he had a man standing behind each engine monitoring it. There was plenty of clearance...11 feet.

Wholewing.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4828.jpg

Frontleft.jpg

IMG_4838.jpg

Inside the Goose

IMG_4841.jpg

Huges collected tons of beach balls for the test flight and stuff them in the wing tips and pontoons.

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

Tip of wing to tip of wing takes this whole hangar!

IMG_4846.jpg

Pan of the Spruce Goose

Some fun stuff...

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

There was a separate building running great flight IMAX shows and a third building with space stuff. We heard they are on the short list to receive one of the decommissioned space shuttles soon.

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

IMG_4865.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4888.jpg

As a kid, I was always fascinated with the F-15. Here it is...

IMG_4889.jpg

I have to get packed and ready to head toward Montana tomorrow. I may stop in Walla Walla, or go further.

I will be using the SPOT again for the duration of the trip to Colorado.

Soozy--- Your trip is absolutely great! The Spruce Goose is something I remember seeing fly during the "Movietone News" when I was at a local movie theater in NY.
I guess instead of "Spruce Goose" they could have called it "Birch B#@ch", but at the time, that name wouldn't have "flown"----:trust::lol2:

3754989628_fe38ba50cf.jpg

Hmmm, they had an SR-71 under that wing when I was there. Was it gone, or did they just move it somewhere else?

And you made me curious about that ship.

3311.JPG

Name / Owner (Manager) / Flag: IRONWOOD IMO No: unknown, Department of Labor, Jobs Corps Maritime Training Program, Astoria, Oregon. Flag: U.S.A.

Comments: May 10, 2007. Three other ships constructed during WWII were seen in port at Astoria, Oregon, or in the Columbia River. This one, the IRONWOOD, entered Coast Guard service as a Seagoing Tender (WLB-297) in 1943 and remained in service until decommissioned in 2000. Evidently, ships of this class (Balsam, 180 footers) were built to last as witnessed by the number that have found useful employment after USCG decommissioning - I saw two others in the space of a few days. IRONWOOD is now a jobs training ship based at Astoria.

Year built / Builder: 1943, Coast Guard Yard, Curtis Bay, Baltimore MD, U.S.A.

Details: 935 t standard displacement. Dimensions: loa: 180.0 ft b: 37.0 ft draught: 13.0 ft. Main engine: 1, D-E Power: 1,200 hp Speed: 15.0 knots.

Last edited:
Wow Soozy, You sound like an old Salt. I'm proud of you!

Ok, when did they move the Spruce Goose Long Beach?

For those that don't already know, Soozy loves to sail. She has a small sailboat but has had trouble getting a title for it. Maybe someone "in the know" can help her out, and a few folks can throw a tech day to make the boat seaworthy again.

There, the cat is out of the bag.

I am sitting in Lolo Mt right now. It was a great ride from Portland to here and I am exhausted.

More later!

As a kid, I was always fascinated with the F-15. Here it is...

IMG_4889.jpg

X-15, essentially a rocket that can be flown like a plane. I believe that many of the pilots received the title of Astronauts. 50 miles up. At those altitudes, it used small thrusters to maneuver since there was not enough atmosphere to wing control surfaces to have any effect.

The museum shots are fantastic. I could spend weeks and weeks in those places!

Carry on... :thumb:

Last edited:
I think this was a 550 mile day. Leaving Portland, I rode beside the Columbia River for better than a hundred miles. I saw the parts of the river where we sailed on Thursday. Sigh The gorge that is home to the Columbia is very steep, wide, and rocky. As you near the border, the cliffs draw closer together and become rounder and treeless.

pano.jpg

I left I-84 and went up 730 for a little while. This took me past better than a hundred miles of wheat fields which were in the middle of harvest.

IMG_4903.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

Amber waves of grain....

IMG_4905.jpg

I picked up US 12 and rode through Walla walla and found myself climbing into foothills along the side of a river...Clearwater I think. I know the rivers chhanged as I climbed through the mountains to Lolo Pass, but I was right by a billion postcards, calendars, and ooh aah places ALL DAY!

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

And I saw a bike I actually recognized! It is a Yamaha BW 350.

IMG_4909.jpg

This ride, from start to finish, had NOT ONE bad mile in it. It should be done across several days because there are Lewis and Clark historical markers every few miles, there are state parks and national monuments every few miles, the Clearwater River was full of stops where you can swim and tube, there are locks and dams, tons of vineyards and winerys, and it is gorgeous!

13 seconds of mountain stream

Safe in West Yellowstone! I am going exploring in the town. But first a conversation I had while loading my bike this morning.

Mr. Leather covered do-rag guy was parked up against my bike. I will call him LC for this.

Me: How are you?
LC: Huh? Oh fine. Where you from?
Me: Texas, but I just came out of Portland.
LC: Huh?
Me: TEXAS!
LC: OH, you will love Idaho as you cross it.
Me: I was there yesterday.
Me: I just came thru the Lolo Pass yesterday.
LC: Oh, you did Northern Idaho.
Me: I did?
LC: Where are you headed?
Me: Yellowstone.
Me: YELLOWSTONE.
LC: Oh, you can't get there without crossing Idaho.
Me: Where are you from?
LC: Huh? Hey did you get pelted by that big hail yesterday? Cause I don't wear a helmet and it really hurt.
Me: I haven't seen even a drop of rain in almost 5000 miles.
Me: Hey when is Sturgis?
LC: Huh? Oh I stay away from Sturgis because it is too loud. I don't want to hurt my hearing.

Me: HUH?

And he starts his bike when my back was turned causing me to jump about a foot off the ground from the volume.

safe in west yellowstone! I am going exploring in the town. But first a conversation i had whilr loading my bike this morning.

Mr. Leather covered do-rag guy was parked up against my bike. I will call him lc for this.

Me: How are you?
Lc: Huh? Oh fine. Where you from?
Me: Texas, but i just came out of portland.
Lc: Huh?
Me: Texas!
Lc: Oh, you will love idaho as you cross it.
Me: I was there yesterday.
Me: I just came thru the lolo pass yesterday.
Lc: Oh, you did northern idaho.
Me: I did?
Lc: Where are you headed?
Lc: Oh, you can't get there without crossing idaho.
Me: Where are you from?
Lc: Huh? Hey did you get pelted by that big hail yesterday? Cause i don't wear a helmet and it really hurt.
Me: I haven't seen even a drop of rain in almost 5000 miles.
Me: Hey when is sturgis?
Lc: Huh? Oh i stay away from sturgis because it is too loud. I don't want to hurt my hearing.

Me: Huh?

And he starts his bike when my back was turned causing me to jump about a foot off the ground from the volume.

huh?

I have a few pictures from today.

This is for Rachel.

IMG_4912.jpg

These are the Tobacco Root Mountains in Montana.

TobaccoRootMountains.jpg

These are more Montana mountains.

MontanaMountains.jpg

Saw this fellow on the road.

IMG_4919.jpg

His web site says he has been traveling for 26 years.

IMG_4920.jpg

West Yellowstone is a touristy small town.

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

As I went into Bullwinkle's for dinner, this was going on.

StormOverWYellowstone.jpg

It brought in a downpour and hail.

IMG_4947.jpg

I was out walking with my umbrella, so I still have not been rained on while riding over 5000 miles now. It was a beautiful storm!

It brought in a downpour and hail.

IMG_4947.jpg

I was out walking with my umbrella, so I still have not been rained on while riding over 5000 miles now. It was a beautiful storm!

Those pesky modern vehicles almost spoil this pic.

At least your bike is getting a good bath. Btw, what have you done as far as maintenance along the way?

I really like that picture. This one looks even more old timey.

IMG_4945.jpg

Maintenance was all planned to last about 7000 miles as far as fluids and tires. I put in synthetics the day before leaving and got new tires the week before.
I check the oil and add a few ounces when it creeps down. So far, I have used about one third of a quart and have done 5000 miles. Not bad! The tires are wearing very evenly because I am in twisties as much as I am on straight roads. They will get me home. I check the tires before every other long day and air them. I like them at 41. Most folks on Burgs do 36ish. Mine have gone as low as 35.

The motor is definitely getting louder and is at 47000 miles or so. Seth wants to do the valves when I get home.

Sooz,
Got real busy painting my house so I can sell it and go on tour like you are. I am catching up on your last week. I love the reports and pictures, it reminds me of the words in America the beautiful "from sea to shining sea".

Instead of doing a pun on Juwanna I decided to Google it. Here is the link. Looks like you have a soul brother !

http://www.haro-online.com/movies/juwanna_mann.html

Come back safe and breakfast is still on me.

lj

Yup Joker, amber waves of grain, and purple mountain majesties too! I am looking forward to breakfast.

I am safe in Jackson Hole. Wyoming. I did the Yellowstone Park today and learned that I no longer control the weather. Soaking rain, quarter sized and bigger hail, lightning, construction, traffic, and about 10 miles of slimey muddy road where they stop you for about 30 minutes then let one lane go. Four times I was waiting.

And I STILL had a great time!

Pictures later, I am on date 21 and 22!

20 was earlier today in a rainstorm. :mrgreen:

OK...the story of my day. I ride out of West Yellowstone straight into the park and decide to take a side trip, but missed the entrance so I decided to take the second entrance, otherwise known as the exit. It was steep and a hard right and I let the bike tip a little too far. I sat there holding it trying so hard to pull it back up. I gave up and laid it down gently. Now it is on its right side practically upside down. Spin it positive now Sooz. I get to practice picking the bike up! That is it. So I do the back up use your legs thing, but there are no hand holds because as I said the bike is upside down.

Lucky for me a man and his wife drive up. Turns out that he had LOTS of practice picking his wife's bike up as she explained. He and I gave it the old heave ho and I was upright once again.

I have to quit dropping the bike.

After that, I had a great time seeing many wonderous things.

DuckLake.jpg

Kepler Falls

Falls.jpg

Tetons.jpg

Geyserfields.jpg

I dropped the bike for this rock.

IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_4960.jpg

IMG_4972.jpg

Driftwood by scalding

IMG_4977.jpg

I hit construction for many miles. It was gravel then turned to dirt, then it rained and it turned to slushy mud. It was scary to me. Soon a rider drew up next to me, so we chatted during the long stops. When we finally got out of the construction I made a photo stop and he went on. The rain started hard, so I dove for a little store, and my new friend Donald was already there. He bought hot chocolate and became date # 20!

IMG_5001.jpg

IMG_5002.jpg

IMG_5007.jpg

My hotel in Jackson Hole.

IMG_5016.jpg

I was unloading my bike and met Kevin and Flavio who were checking in so they could dry out. We all agreed to have dinner together. I will post pictures from that in a while!

After time to dry out and clean up, Kevin and Flavio dropped by to pick me up for dinner. I rode with Kevin on his Goldwing. It is hard to trust another person when you are a rider! No worries, Kevin put nearly 200,000 miles on his older Goldwing before he got this one. None of us were in gear as it was all soaked, so we squided to dinner and toured the town on bikes and on foot.

My dates #21 and 22. Flavio on the left and Kevin on the right. These guys used to work together in the San Francisco area. Flavio is still there, and Kevin is in Idaho.

IMG_5028.jpg

The town. I am shooting from the back of the Goldwing.

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

The town square had one of these on each corner.

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

IMG_5024.jpg

Work the camera, Flavio.

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5044.jpg

A great T shirt!

IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

Crazy beautiful!

IMG_5049.jpg

The bikes.

IMG_5053.jpg

This is not a common car, but I knew what it was as soon as I saw it.

IMG_5050.jpg

Nope...not Delorean. No...not Z. Old Lambo? Nope. Hint....Ford motor. Same motor as the 59 station wagons had.

There it is! Bricklin.

IMG_5051.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The Bricklin SV-1 was a gull-wing door sports car assembled in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. The body panels were manufactured in a separate plant in Minto, New Brunswick. Manufactured from 1974 until early 1976 for the U.S. market, the car was the creation of Malcolm Bricklin, a Jewish American millionaire who had previously founded Subaru of America. Due to Bricklin's lack of experience in the auto industry, coupled with the fact that the cars were not properly designed or engineered, the Bricklin factory was not able to produce vehicles fast enough to make a profit. As a result, only 2,854 cars were built before the company went into receivership, owing the New Brunswick government $23 million.

In his attempt to make a fast profit, Bricklin attempted to bond fiberglass to acrylic plastic--something the plastics industry had not perfected at the time--resulting in a high failure rate and high production costs (more often than not, the panels cracked while still in their molds). The result was a poorly built pseudo sports car that dealers refused to sell. It soon became obvious that Bricklins claims of a "high performance safety car" were nonsense. Also contributing to the company's decline was Bricklin's tendency to assign inexperienced family members to executive positions on his Board. It is believed that fewer than 1,000 Bricklin cars still exist.[1]

The model name (SV-1), stood for "safety vehicle one". The original idea for the Bricklin SV-1 was a safe and economical sports car; however, due to the safety consideration of making the car heavier, it became more expensive. The Bricklin was designed for safety with an integrated roll cage, 5 mph bumpers, and side beams. The body was fibreglass with bonded acrylic in five "safety" colours: white, red, green, orange and suntan. The cars had no cigarette lighter or ashtray.[2] Non-smoker Malcolm Bricklin believed it was unsafe to smoke and drive. The Bricklin is the only production vehicle in automotive history with factory powered gull-wing doors that opened and closed at the touch of a button (when they worked), unlike the later DeLorean DMC-12, which featured manual operation of its gull-wing doors. The power operation of the Bricklin's doors, however, was plagued with electrical problems. They also leaked, which caused problems for dealers who got little factory support in correcting these problems.

Power came from a 360 cu in (5,899 cc) AMC 360 V8 for 1974. Later cars used a 351 cu in (5,752 cc) Ford Windsor V8. A high-performance V8 was chosen so that in case of an impending accident, the power of the V8 was enough for the owner to pull away from the potential accident. The weight of the car, however, made this implausable. The front suspension used A-arms and coil springs, while the rear used leaf springs on a live axle. 772 model year 1974 cars were produced, 137 of which had four-speed manual transmissions. All 1975 and 1976 cars had automatic transmissions

They weighed nearly 3500 pounds!

It was another great day and here are a few videos of falls and steaming or boiling things.

Angry little Geyser

Kepler Falls

Noisy steam vents

Sooz, if you go to Grand Junction, CO ride the National Monument and then stop by the Hair Loft at 2493 Highway 6 and 50 # 16
Grand Junction, CO 81505-1104
(970) 242-2132
and say hello to my cousin Sylvia.

I am in Vernal Utah. I think I am going to make Buena Vista tomorrow. I will arrive just in time to help my brother Joe move again. And my niece Jenny will have her baby while I am there. And West Fest is going on.

Looks like you took the wrong exit from Yellowstone and missed Bear Tooth Pass:eek2:

I like what you did with that picture M38A1! Thanks!!

Rasz, I am getting ready to plan tomorrow.

Rich...............
There is a Bear Tooth Pass?????

Now I have to go back. Darn.

And Tracker, I wish you could have stood there to see it for yourself.

I got a late start this morning. It was cold and a heavy fog sat over Jackson Hole until about 9:30. Kevin and Flavio were dragging also, so when we all checked out, we had breakfast together and rode out of town to the split in the road for 191 for me and 26 for the guys.

IMG_5054.jpg

IMG_5055.jpg

Hugs all around and we parted.

It was cold riding, and I had to gear up like it was winter in Texas. The ride was lovely with all the scenery. I really enjoyed Wyoming. The views are mountainous but are very visible because the trees aren't hiding the views. In fact, the trees aren't there.

The two kinds of mountains I have ridden could be a metaphor for people. The tree covered mountains hide their structure and the surprises and glimpses come suddenly around a corner. People can be hidden and surprising and that can be nice. The Wyoming mountains are sage covered and you can see everything to great distances. I love seeing the shape of the land. I enjoy people who don't hide themselves.

I don't think I was below 7000 ft in Wyoming.

IMG_5071.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

BeginningoftheFlamingGorge.jpg

The land was still high as I entered Utah, but the color changed to a lot of red and the mountains became more rugged.

FlamingGorge.jpg

BridgenearFlamingGorgeDam.jpg

This is the last pull off before the Flaming Gorge Dam.

IMG_5080.jpg

You get into wide twisties after the dam and just when you think you are in the rhythm of the road, you pass mining areas where the trucks have caked up the highway with wet red clay! About 15 miles out of Vernal. there is a sign that says: Steep grade and 10 switchbacks ahead. I checked the altitude and was at about 7000 feet. After each switchback, there was another sign reading: 9 more to go...8 more...all the way to one switchback to go. They had to think we needed encouragement. These are wide 20mph switches that would be easy to do at 45 except for the gravel piles around some of them.

I highly recommend the ride from Jackson Hole to Vernal!

Hey Soozy, I forgot to tell you to watch out for Ara and Spirit up there. They are still around Yellowstone someplace. Hope you got to see them.

Back