• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Soozy's 50 First Dates Tour:The Ride Report

Does anyone else find this to be one of those 'priceless' shots? Here we have a gal from Texas on her scoot soaking her toes in the Pacific. Now how cool is that? :clap:

We are a well traveled group indeed.

Thursday June 25

IMG_2594.jpg

Soozy: Finally a good picture of you! Now I know who to look for when you arrive. BTW, if unsure how to find our home just call my cell when you get into Rio Dell. It may be easier for you to take first off-ramp into town and stop at the Shell gas station, call me and I'll find you. We are all of 2 minutes from there. Ride safe and ENJOY!
Wally

I love your new avatar, Janet!

That's one of her Deal's Gap pictures - she's bragging again... :giveup:

Soozy: Finally a good picture of you! Now I know who to look for when you arrive.

:eek2: and you are still planning to meet her?! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

---

Great pictures of the coastline and the critters, Sooz... :thumb:

Does anyone else find this to be one of those 'priceless' shots? Here we have a gal from Texas on her scoot soaking her toes in the Pacific. Now how cool is that? :clap:

We are a well traveled group indeed.

That picture right there has just made up my mind - my next trip puts my toes into the Pacific. :rider:

Ha! Soozy said: "I remember thinking it should be illegal to feel that good!" Fabulous ride Soozy! When my friends call it's all they wanna talk about!
Neal

Awww, you guys!! You make me feel so special.

I had a true blast today and am at Fitty's in Stockton. He is a great guy and has kept me laughing all day even in 20 miles of 3-10 mph bumper to bumper 100 degree heat traffic on the freeway. I experienced lane splitting at 0-30 mph. No, I didn't do it, and Fitty wanted to, but stuck with me because there are tricks and safety issues I just don't know.Brutal, and so worth it for the experiences of the day. I will post up all about it soon. I am taking a no-riding day tomorrow.

I was worried about you in "the commute"as I watched your SPOT. Enjoy the break from riding. Get fitty to give you a gud schedule toavoid the early morning rush hour down there. Remember you both are welcome as I previously mentioned! I'm on vacation until Tue morning. WOO-HOO!!!!!!! See ya soon. Keep the shinny side up.

omg omg omg

I HAD to stop because I am shaking from the combination of cold and excitement. I don't know which one contributed more.

Soozy, girl can I relate. My first long bike trip was up that very road and I got caught in a fog that made me so cold that I changed my plans of reaching Canada. At the motel I was shaking so much I couldn't fill out the registration.

I'm really enjoying your story.
Ride safe.

It was very cool this morning as I got onto the road. I was geared up with long johns and liner as if it was winter. Somehow, I turned an easy 89 mile route into closer to 110. A couple of times I was turning donuts to figure out which way the GPS wanted me to go. :rofl: I haven't looked at the spot yet. I stumbled onto the most amazing road not even on the GPS. It put me right where I needed to be...Alice's Restaurant. You know..."you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant, excepting Alice."

This road is there for access to residences all over the mountain. It is a one lane snake slithering around to the top where the restaurant is. It goes thru a stand of OLD redwood. Massive beauties! I made the mistake of turning up this road on my way in. So I made the same mistake on my way out.

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

DSCN7162.jpg

DSCN7160.jpg

I pulled into Alice's Restaurant and immediately was surrounded by men. Ok...a man talked to me. That is more truthful.

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

There were tons of fun bikes!

IMG_2689.jpg

Pat's Bandit 1250

IMG_2710.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

This is a Bandit 400. It is the truth.

IMG_2713.jpg

Then Pat arrived!!! Hugs and greetings followed. He really is hilarious:mrgreen:!

IMG_2697.jpg

We visited with other bikers and had a nice lunch. I wanted to stay forever.

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

When it was time to head to Stockton, we got into traffic that was moving so slow, we could have conversation while we rode. It took better than two hours to travel about 20 miles. Tomorrow is a non-riding day, but I just heard that the Gay Pride Parade is in San Francisco this weekend.

Look kids - it's a big hole in the ground! :lol2:

Awesome pics Soozy. You've got such a great spirit, it's no wonder you met #2 and #3 while just walking around a campsite.

Adventure, indeed! :thumb:

I was going to say the same thing! Seeing that hiking trail going down into the big hole makes me consider that I would much rather hike up a mountain, so it is "downhill" on the way home, rather than hike down into a big hole and have to climb out.

I also love to see Newcastle in ride report pictures. It seems to pop up a lot. Maybe Newcastle drinkers are just more prolific ride-reporters. :party:

I can't believe that tiny teardrop camper doesn't pop-up or pop-out for more space.

Your inner-dialog is way more entertaining than my own.

:rofl:

Knowing Dail, he will probably knock on your door next.

He is supposedly leaving soon (or already left), heading north and west, destination unknown. His SPOT link is now in his signature...

He may be headed to California! :eek2:

Okay, how is Dail's SPOT map interface so much less cluttered than everybody else's?

Okay, how is Dail's SPOT map interface so much less cluttered than everybody else's?

Soozy and other folks use the regular SPOT web (which has come a long way from its first showing) while Dail is using Jason-Jonas' version.

Happy rest day, Sooz! :yawn:

BTW, those Redwoods are small. We have some a bit bigger up here I can show you.

Soozy, I talked to Tanaya today to let her know you will be passing through. You have a place to stay that night if you wish. She's looking forward to meeting you! Just give her a call on her cell phone, or stop into the local HD shop in Albany and ask for the Shop Employee of the Month ;-)

BTW, if you are going up the Oregon coast Highway 101, let me know. On the Yaquina Bay is a fabulous restaurant: Mo's. It's on the pier overlooking the bay and they have THE best clam chowder and clams west of New England. From there, Hwy 20 meanders through the Coastal Range down into the Willamette Valley, into Philomath (where I used to live) and Corvallis, then veers northeast to Albany. Great ride through the mountains and along farmland, through small towns and a smallish college town (Corvallis). I think you would enjoy the ride.

Glad to see you are enjoying yourself!

Just a few more things for you all. The day that ended in Monterey was 269 miles long. Yesterday was 210 miles.

Here is a picture from inside the men's restroom at Alice's. Yes I took it.

IMG_2698.jpg

Some more redwood goodness.

IMG_2692.jpg

Remember this line from the song Alice's Restaurant?

"And I, I walked over to the, to the bench there, and there is, Group W's
where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after
committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly
looking people on the bench there. Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father
rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me! And
they was mean and nasty and ugly and horrible crime-type guys sitting on the
bench next to me. And the meanest, ugliest, nastiest one, the meanest
father raper of them all, was coming over to me and he was mean 'n' ugly
'n' nasty 'n' horrible and all kind of things and he sat down next to me
and said, "Kid, whad'ya get?" I said, "I didn't get nothing, I had to pay
$50 and pick up the garbage."

Well here is a Group W bench.

IMG_2699.jpg

Pat says you have to show your bike some love, so he had me out washing Fly and checking the tires and oil. I learned something I never knew. My bike has blue metal flakes in the paint.

Wash and blow dry. Waxed and Pledge on the plastic surfaces that are the dull grey.

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

Now that is a shiny surface.

IMG_2735.jpg

Pat's Harley...radio controled and about 30 unches long.

IMG_2744.jpg

I learned that the shocks on my bike were adjusted at 1 on the right side and 4 on the left side. Now they are the same!

Then Pat found out that I still have no confidence in putting the burg on the center stand. So he made me do it after patient coaching several times. I think I get it clearly now.

Now we are watching a popural curt movie. A Japanese gang western Quintin Tarrantino thing with lots of brood and walling (blood and warring). It has some great lines like, "How did he purr that off?" "I kick you in youl barrs!" Sukiyaki Western Django

Another outstanding day! The conversation with Pat has been a huge system of bunny trails. We have an unusual number of commonalities and the conversation sounds like this:

Well I was a service brat so ....I was too! Well maybe we were stationed together...hop hop hop
Dad was Stategic Air Command,,, mine too!...hop hop hop
When I was competing as a diver....I did too! hop hop hop
I screen printed for years....OMG hop hop hop
Youthful offenders...hop hop hop
Single hop hop hop

Neither one of us ever finishes a thought...hop hop hop

I also learned that Dan Gurney was one of the designers behind the machine known as Burgman.

Hi y'all.... 'Pat' here, the guy playing host to the Sooz'. She's been a wonderful guest, behaves well in public, and is a great conversationalist. But as she has already suggested, our conversations are peppered with, "YOU TOO!?!".... we do indeed seem to have a lot in common. As you already know, she enjoys keeping you abreast with her trip and was immediately on her 'puter sharing what her day entailed. Here she is sitting in an air conditioned environ' while the temps slowly approach 100* outside.

06-27-091.jpg

Before it got too hot though, we rolled the big Burgh' outside and set to cleaning her. Soozy added air to the tires as they were both 34psi (to 39/41), then bumped the pre-load up to max on her shocks. Her lovely addition of brand new blue anodized dust covers for her tires' valves seemed to bring out the blue metal-flake we discovered in her freshly washed (and polished) paint.

06-27-092.jpg

She then set to checking her oil and found it to be a bit low. I knew where she could get some Amsoil locally so we took the cage to a little mom/pop shop and bought a quart. She also thought it a good idea to buy a kit with which to plug her tires in the event of a puncture.

06-27-093.jpg

Soozy is up her stuff, keeps a watchful eye over her scoot, and knows what to do to keep it road worthy. I must say too that she knows how to ride. We tackled twisty stuff yesterday, bumpy conditions, hills, and a looooong drone on the freeway surrounded by cars-a-plenty.

She sports her "Scooter Trash" stickers with pride....
Drop in anytime Sooz', as I wanna be Scooter Trash someday and will be looking for tips. I'm partial to the time honored Vespa though, and hope to own one some day. I wanna be like Soozy when I grow up, Hardcore and a daring scooterista exploring the freeways and back roads of life....

RIDE ON GIRL!

06-27-09.jpg

I thought I'd post up and let you know I'm following your ride.
Been sick again, so no riding for me! Overheated at work again!!!:eek2:
Glad your having fun Soozy. You are in some of the best scenic motorcycle country on the west coast. (Woa, that sounds rather uncommital doesn't it?)
I got to ride Hwy 1 last Thanksgiving but I don't remember any of it. I was a little preoccuoied with traffic on the Ducati.

I'm going to insist Melissa read this report, and make sure she realizes that your Burgman is the scooter we were riding (albeit a Short ride) that she took the bug in the forehead on.

Stay safe and remember, "Where ever your go, There you are".
Savor the moment.

Glad you survived the desert!

Curtis

I must say too that she knows how to ride. We tackled twisty stuff yesterday, bumpy conditions, hills, and a looooong drone on the freeway surrounded by cars-a-plenty.

I thought the freeway was a nice 20 mile walk. I think I wore my boots out. :trust:

Soozy............You Rock!

Have fun, but come back to us safe and sound~!

Mike

The Sooz' is out again.... after a day of air conditioned rest, she's decided to explore some of the distant roads and country-side (she doesn't sit still very well when there's exploring to be done). I would like to have joined her, but my rotator cuff has been feeling it's tear and misplaced bicep tendon of late, and now I find myself fighting a tooth/head ache (root canal, wisdom, some'n?). In other words, I'm seriously drugged up on Vicodin, doubling the doses and trying to sit still (I'm hurt'n!). I'll be calling the dentist in the morning and surgery for my shoulder is scheduled for the 10th.

But Soozy knowingly set out in a day that was forecast to be unusually hot. I did my part preaching to her about drinking lots-o-water.... hope she took me seriously. As I type this, it's 108* here in the Central Valley. She wisely took off to parts cooler and more beautiful than the local environ's, but she's gonna hafta ride in this stuff to get back to the house.

108*...... jeez, better her than me. She is indeed "hardcore"!
:rider:

I am back from a lovely day touring Mill Valley up to Napa Valley. Visited a winery, rode around miles and miles in a hot convertible on twisties. The good kind of hot. Honda S2000. I wondered how hot it was as I rode home and learned of the 110 degrees as I walked into the house. It was like riding in blast furnace! I have to give the Olympia jacket kudos. It seems to hold enough of the sweat on the shoulders and the back, that I stayed comfortable.

I love San Francisco!

Back