• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Soozy's 50 First Dates Tour:The Ride Report

Tanaya sure looks like her mommy.
She has her father's eyes. ;-) I sure do miss her.

Thanks so much, Soozy. I get to vicariously visit through you. I can't thank you enough for that, and I do hope you are having a good time there. I suspected y'all would enjoy each other. :mrgreen:
(did I ever tell you how much Hannah reminds me of Tanaya? :trust: )

I am glad you mentioned Hannah, because she just bought a second horse. Weird thing too...both are named Lucky. I KNOW she would love to get you to ride with her any weekend you want. Her number is mine ending in 74 instead of 76.

I spent time showing Tanaya your picture/stories on the web. The guys think you are HOT! They don't have much computer access so they haven't been seeing into your life like they could. Tanaya treasures the calendar and book you made for her.

I listened to Evan and Tanaya talk about tearing his bike down. I wondered how many guys would drool to hear a woman talk like that. I mean, I remember telling a guy that I have metric and SAE tools. He said I won him at SAE. heheheh

Bob and Linni have 3 sons and the oldest is named Seth. :mrgreen: Same as my son.

Evan told us he is leaving Tanaya and going on the road with me today!

Seattle, here I come!

I do have pictures from the Oregon Coast, but they will have to wait until later.

I thought that Tanaya was supposed to come down and visit Elz last fall. Sorry that she didn't get to do that. It's fun meeting all of these offspring that are responsible for their parent's gray hair! :giveup:

Soozy....

FedEx me the last slice......right now

Heheheh....I will put it in the front seat of the Mazzurati...Masurratti, uh...the really expensive car I am sending UPS to Janet.

The tracking number is

00IN98UR00DREAMS0000

Hold your breath, because it will be there soon! It was good pizza, too.

I am on my brother's front porch in Seattle. No one is home yet, but I have a 2 hour battery on this laptop.:mrgreen:

Bad news for me today............

I lost ONE shoe. It is on I-5 if anyone is going north.

So now I will be wearing motorcycle boots with my skirt if we go somewhere nice. heheheheheh

Elzi, I really enjoyed the kids. Evan, when he first heard, "A friend of my mom's who rides a scooter is going to stay a night here," he said NNOOOOo!
:mrgreen: I think he had us visualized as bent, grey, and wrinkled, and maybe using canes. He was wrong about the bent and cane part. We all sat up too late talking and laughing. Today is Evan's birthday!

Happy BDay Evan!

I have some pictures from Crescent City and along the Oregon coastline that I am just getting around to posting.

I love the sights and sounds and smells of a fishing village like Crescent City. There were ships horns, and the bells on buoys, sea birds, and the ever present wind and wave sounds. I found a great restaurant for seafood and had my favorite...scallops.

IMG_2999-1.jpg

Sent this back to Troy of Rio Dell.

IMG_2997-1.jpg

And snapped a shot of a couple of the larger boats in dry dock for maintenance.

IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_3002.jpg

I tried an artsy-fartsy sunset picture.

IMG_3000-1.jpg

I found the Oregon coast to be beautiful and less traveled than the California coast.

IMG_3003-1.jpg

IMG_3004-1.jpg

IMG_3005-1.jpg

IMG_3006-1.jpg

IMG_3007-1.jpg

IMG_3008-1.jpg

IMG_3015-1.jpg

See the bird, wings spread and enjoying himself? He sat there for the longest time just like that. I have seen one other bird do that, and it was an eagle.

IMG_3019-1.jpg

Moving on up the coast.

IMG_3021-1.jpg

IMG_3022-1.jpg

Here is your sound track for the next pictures...Roar, crash, whoosh, tweet tweet....

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3028-1.jpg

IMG_3029-1.jpg

IMG_3030-1.jpg

IMG_3031-1.jpg

IMG_3032-1.jpg

IMG_3035-1.jpg

Standing by the ocean or sitting by a fire are two things I can have a hard time leaving.

That catches me up to Seattle.

I was in traffic through Portland and could not get pictures, but it is such a beautiful place with all those bridges. I am thinking about going back down the coast as I leave.

Here is a link to a photo gallery of the bridges:

http://www.portlandbridges.com/ross-island-bridge.html

I am now with dates number 13, 14, 15, and 16! Pictures later tonight :mrgreen:

And my parting thought for the day.

I have watched many men look at bikes. Bandits...ooO(I wonder what she can do?) Ducattis...ooO(Yum! I'd like to ride her.) Stroms...ooO(I like them sturdy and tall.) Triumphs...ooO( Look at lines on that baby!) Apillias...ooO(Hot Italian mistress) I can read their thoughts as their eyes mist over. Then they look politely at my Burgman and I read their thoughts...ooO(I wonder what it would be like to do the geekiest girl on campus?)

My brother John works for Microsoft and has something to do with X-Box. He reminded me that my first motorcycle ride was in a crowded parking lot in Austin in the 70's. I was visiting him and he had bought a red Kawasaki 250. He told me here is the clutch, gears are one down and 3 up...something like that. Don't hit anything. End of lesson. I jumped on and went around and around in 1st or 2nd gear. It was great! I am officially a rider for 2 years this month.

Now I owe John a ride on the scooter. So he will soon know what it is like to do the geekiest girl on campus.

It is not raining here.

Well, if your brother John works for Microsoft, I don't think he'll have a problem with looking Geeky on the Burgy. I think that look is a prerequisite for Employement at Microsoft.;-)
Heck, I'm a Macho Kinda guy and I have lusted over one since they came out.
It has something to do with my Childhood and the my Lambretta 150.
I'm loving your trip Soozy. If you get the chance zip over to McMinnville and walk downtown a bit. Melissa and I love the Downtown charm. They even have a scooter shop in the downtown area that is one of the friendliest stores I been in.
Oh, and there always the Spruce Goose in the Evergreen Museum. Another cool stop in McMinnville Or.

Curtis

If you like planes the Boeing Museum in Seattle and the Evergreen Avaition museum in Oregon are worth the trip.

Curtis, get on a plane with Melissa and fly up. I am here for two weeks....maybe more.

Thank you, Tomf!

Texfire, those are both on the list.

Sea Fair 09 is going on up here all month.

I can hardly believe I rode the scooter all the way up here.:rider:

Time to clean the bathroom and earn my keep!

Here you go, it's artsy fartsy now.

soozy.jpg

Where was this picture taken? I have a guess...

Now I am completely homesick. You went through my kids birth city and my 'hometown', Portland. I'm glad you found it beautiful.

You really know how to take a trip and document it, I've learned a great deal. Thank you for sharing.

That shot is Crescent City Ca...almost to Oregon. I HAVE to go back to Portland.

OK folks... I wrote this before the start:
Here is the itinerary for the first 2 weeks. As I am researching camp grounds and motels, I am realizing I am not being realistic on having time to see everything. 8) So I will have to do it again next year!!

June 20 Ruidosa NM 515

June 21 Alpine 404 TaiWiWi Lodge

June 22 South Rim Grand Canyon 350

June 23 North Rim and end in Hurricane 341

June 24 Bakersfield CA 447

June 25 Stockton CA 436 Fittysom'n is my host!

June 28 Day ride in Mill Valley CA

June 29 Rio Dell CA 315 Wannabeguru and Ms. host me!

June 30 Klamath Falls Or 286

July 1 Albany Or 214 Elzi's daughter hosts maybe

July 2 Seattle 223 My brother hosts

Total 3531....the first leg of the trip.

My mileage is 3669 right now. That was a pretty close guess! I must have done 138 miles of u-turns.:rider:

So I figure about 220 bucks in gas and about that in lodging to get here. How cool is that?! That is about a penny a smile.:mrgreen:

I called Phil, The Pasta Guy, and will be seeing him soon.

Hi Soozy!

I remember the first time I met you with Ken before you even bought the Burgman from Sharkey. Look at you now!

I am so happy that you are enjoying your self so much on this trip!:thumb:

Wow, Soozy! Just Wow! I SOOOO wanna be you when I grow up! :sun: I've been checking and reading all your posts and giggle every time. Can't wait for more!

:sun:

Curtis, get on a plane with Melissa and fly up. I am here for two weeks....maybe more.

I can hardly believe I rode the scooter all the way up here.:rider:

We'd love to, but, unfortunitly this is our, shall we say "Medical Summer"!

I'm about to have cataract surgery and Melissa is having her feet operated on.

Then I have some teeth I need to replace. (Old Crash Wounds) then I'm going to retire, I think. I'm shooting for this year.
(Depending on the Obama Influence of course!):miffed:

Your Burgman is plenty of Scooter. Your an inspiration to a lot of folks. I wonder if Suzuki knows about your Tour on the Burgman?

Your doing just fine and it's great to read about how much fun your having. Something to remember next semester when you want to smak down some unrully kid. You can say, "I'm doing this for the Summers Off", "I'm doing this for the Summers Off", "I'm doing this for the Summers Off".....:rider:

BTY, Melissas brother live in Seattle. He's a Gallagher type guy. He's into "Public Transportation". Don't ask!:mrgreen:

Have fun, and keep the camera going!

"I'm doing this for the Summers Off", "I'm doing this for the Summers Off", "I'm doing this for the Summers Off".....:rider:

That's my motto!

Thoroughly enjoying the ride report Soozy!

My brother had the day off so we went and fixed my shoe situation. I had one sandal and 2 boots. Elliot loaned me these loafers...

IMG_3092.jpg

...so I could go to REI for these cool new sandals.

IMG_3097.jpg

And I picked up this book. It has been 37 years since I read it. Seemed appropriate.

IMG_3094.jpg

We ran downtown and got on a Duck to do the tour.

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

Our Captain.

IMG_3136.jpg

Here is what we saw. Seattle is very beautiful.

Bamboo-like sculpture

IMG_3137.jpg

I am pretty sure this was a Michael Jackson tribute...right???

IMG_3156.jpg

A walk through fountain.

IMG_3160.jpg

We roll into the water.

IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

Look at the sloop...or whatever it is. I wished for a zoom lens.

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

They built a park around this old gas coal fired thingamajig. It was too toxic and expensive to remove.

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

The house from the movie Sleepless in Seattle.

IMG_3224.jpg

This bridge has a giant troll built under it that can fit a VW Bug in its hand. I will find it and get a picture for you.

IMG_3226.jpg

The blah blah draw bridge opening.

IMG_3229.jpg

It really is as much fun as these faces show.

IMG_3236.jpg

The city allows 500 residences on the water. This one is so cool!

IMG_3242.jpg

This person was denied becoming number 501, so she had this built and classified as a BOAT. It has to leave dock once a year to keep its status.

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

Mt. Ranier

IMG_3256.jpg

These next shots are of the Experience Music Project built by Gates partner, Paul Allen and designed by Frank Gehry. It is supposed to look like a guitar being smashed.

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

And the always lovely Space Needle. I was in it in 1962 and took a Space Needle ink pen home with me. I was so proud of it.

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

This fountain has changed since 62, and is even better.

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

This is for Pacman.

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

This is Elliot, my nephew. I will catch CJ soon, but for now know that they are twins and look a great deal alike.

IMG_3089.jpg

Thanks for letting us take a trip through your brain-on-a-road-trip :rider: Very entertaining ;-) Great ride :sun:

Tank to tank is correct! It was long and HOT! I did not stop for pictures because they would have been distant bumps and flat space or bumps leading to flat space. So much of the land supports no life and looks like big dirt piles. Like after Armagedden. There was a stream of traffic and brutal wind. I stayed comfortable by stopping frequently and drinking water plus soaking my shirt. That would last about 30 miles.

I covered 431 miles today. The satellite pictures on Google Maps show as much as I saw. The white areas on the sat pics are sand collecting around the edges of each basin I passed through. So I will give you what was in my head rather than what was in my eyes.

Hurricane is pretty cool. You just drop on large switchbacks into a valley which is Hurricane. As you leave, it gets rapidly hotter and flatter. As I got onto I 15, I was the slowest thing running down the highway. I think I was passed by a granny driving a 50 foot camper with a boat in tow. And I was speeding. So to entertain myself I had an internal dialogue going all day. Here are clips of it:

Hmmmm...I wonder if I can miss the reflectors every time I change lanes?

Hit...no
Hit...nope
Hit hit hit hit hit.
Miss whoo hoo! Wait. Is that good? Doing what I want once only?

hit hit...maybe I should TRY to hit the things.
miss miss miss
sigh ...I still did it once. I could look at the record differently. It doesn't have to be a failure. Guys hit on girls and even nope, no way, never, go away, get lost, ....(a hundred hits later) OK, is a win. That's it, I will think like a guy.
hit...hit...hit...miss...WHOOHOO!!!! I win.
Maybe I should ride the rumble strip while singing Row Row Row Your Boat.
IS that an officer?
I should stop and take a picture of that. Can trucks really have three trailers behind them? It is like a train on the road. Geez it is hot. I hate the way the tires wear flat in the center. Good thing the wind is blowing hard and making me ride leaned over. No engine braking? hehehe I am so lawless.

Things I have learned while on the road this trip.
1. Margaritas don't replace electrolytes
2. Soaking your shirt with water at a gas station gets attention...especially if you do it like you are in that Flashdance movie.
3. No matter how you pack the duffle bag, what you need is on the bottom.
4. Your lower legs get sore.
5. Yoga positions can be done while riding.
6. I have now experienced a desert BREEZE and breeze, my butt.
7. When you are enthusiastically gulping water down and find that you are being watched, belch loudly. That way they will not be embarrassed alone.
8. When you cool off, heat up, cool off, heat up all day, your sweaty pants will glue you to your seat.
9. All of your finger nails will eventually break.
10. Don't pass up gas.

Miss....hit hit hit
Fractions could be entertaining....I have done 30 miles out of 431 Will that reduce?
Now 31 out of 431 Pretty sure that won't reduce.
Miss
I am hungry!
Shut up stomach. You are not the boss of me.
Car load of guys! Suck your gut in... Yeah...what do you think of me now?
Wait sit in the cool ride position! One hand on hip and one on handle bar.
I'm bad all right. I mean, I am bad because I drifted into that drivers lane. Sorry. Stop trying to be cool cause you can't pull it off.

I am hungry
Shut up
hit
35 out of 431
Good song!
I am hungry
Shut up
hit
missmiss miss
Vegas!! I have been there. The day I married my 'baby daddy' (learned that from my kids I teach), Mark came to see me and asked me to not get married. I had no idea. So he moved away. It was good for him, too. I found him 2 years after my divorce. He had me fly to see him in Vegas where he lived, but flew to work every day on the airline with no name. It was known as JANET...Just Another Non Existant Terminal. He showed me a great time there...Hoover Dam, all the sights, dinner in the Statosphere. A great guy!
hit
I am hungry!
Shut up.
231 out of 431
Boron
Borax...hey that reminds me of the Twenty Mule Team Borax Ads.
Well look at that....Twenty Mule Team Borax Street
I thought Boron was a gas. What is that stuff those trucks are carrying that looks like cotton balls. Get back in your own lane missy.
Pay attention cause you could die out here.
hit...
miss
miss miss miss miss I am getting better. Why does the GPS say Bakersfield is 78 miles away and the road sign says 98? HEY! Zzyxz Road!
Dang...if I had another kid I would definitely name it Zzyxz.
This trip reminds me of the last year of grad school when the Intramural Department sent 18 of us to San Diego.
Is that an officer?
I am hungry
Shut up!!! Don't make me turn this bike around.
We went to San Diego in two OLD airport limos. One was a Checker and the other was a Pontiac. On the way out the 9 in one car bought water pistols and ambushed us at a stop. We owed them. So on the way back, the plan was to do a group Mooning. It was a great plan. I was the only girl so I drew driver. There was one guy for each window down the side and two guys for the back window. they all got posed for the moment and told me to go. 8 Butts to glass, we shot by. We had been riding for over 30 hours straight at that time and we were riding with windows down. It was at the climatic moment of the Moon that we quickly realized the weak point in our plan as the aroma of 8 butts with 30 riding hours hit us all at once.
That has to be an officer.
Yawn
Why am I going 50 in a 70? There really is an officer.
hit miss miss
343 out of 431. Is 431 prime?
Ok the GPS says I am here, but I am at Tehatchapi. Fun roads. Oh...I see Bakersfield National Cemetery.
I am hungry...
OK there is a room for 38 bucks with a Mexican restaurant in the parking lot. You have been good and can have a Margarita.
431 out of 431....now that reduces.

You know you do it too.:rider:

I called Fitty in Stockton. I am headed up the coast, but I won't make Stockton til the next day. Fitty is cooking up a meet up at a cool biker hang out and a ride back to his place. I get to see ocean tomorrow!

Hey Sooz, do you have a ride report running on BurgmanUSA, too? I took a quick look and didn't see anything. I think that is another group that would benefit from reading about your experiences (and antics).

:popcorn:

Holy cow what trip! I just had finished reading the last 8 pages of this thread and it has been very entertaining. If anyone who has read any part isn't envious of you Soozy their in denial ;-)

Back