• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Soozy's 50 First Dates Tour:The Ride Report

IIRC, a story about an SR-21 crew going from west to eat across the US saying they had gone over Kansas in about 6 minutes and that was the way to get across Kansas! :rofl:

Be sure to do Mt. St. Helens while in the area. Awesome.
Great pictures, Thanks for sharing your journey.

After a visit to John and Carla's church, The River, I walked outside to this...

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4456.jpg

Need another hint?

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

Now you get it...it is Kitt! For real. A member of the church bought him.

Kitt

The Tacoma Museum of Glass is a wonderful place to spend time.

The first displays were artist's renditions of drawings by children. They are GREAT! I am on board for any mixing of kids and art. I taught art in Christian Academies for 9 years. Well...and to my 4 kids...always messin' the house... I had no qualifications except that I love uncorking creativity. As I slept in one morning my spawn produced a video which they proudly showed me when I got up. There was a Mickey Mouse on my front porch and fire traveled down a string from off camera to Mickey...who blew up and turned into ketchup covered Mickey body parts. My kids were playing with fire while I was asleep?!

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

I was not allowed to photograph in the main gallery, but in the hot room, pictures and video were OK.

The hot room is inside of this structure.

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

From the inside...

IMG_4473.jpg

This is an active glass blowing industry.

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

This video is 3 minutes of the fellows completing a piece.

Glass Blowing

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4487.jpg

IMG_4488.jpg

IMG_4489.jpg

IMG_4490.jpg

This one is for sale...several thousand dollars. It had a spiro-graph motif and was very beautiful.

IMG_4494.jpg

On the grounds outside of the museum are the best pieces.

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

IMG_4503.jpg

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4512.jpg

Then it got better as we entered the Glass Bridge.

IMG_4514.jpg

The walls along one side of the bridge are showcases of beautiful works.

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

Then you pass under a ceiling STUFFED with sea shell-like works. This was my favorite!

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4534.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

I had to try Texas_Joker's reflection shot.

IMG_4538.jpg

Cool bridge, Mt Rainier, Museum of Glass, the harbor, Tacoma Dome, and an ugly building.

IMG_4463.jpg

OMG I love glass blown pieces - it just absolutely fascinates my the way they can make things.

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES.

Love you story telling

Texas Joker...12 posts so far and at least 13 of them are puns!

Thank you CWDancer. You would not believe the colors in person. The same artist designed the glass ceiling in the Flower Room in the Bellagio in Vegas. I lifted this picture from the web.

9088_4.jpg

I thought about hail too, Dave. The colorful pieces are protected by Lexan. It isn't the clearest plastic for the display but it is so strong(yet flexible). But all that clear glass could take a beating. Most of the clear glass was of simple design. Overheat a blob on the end of the pole and spin it. There were hundreds. By the way, the clear glass that is cut off, wasted, or broken goes back in the kiln with the molten glass. That kiln is never shut off. It takes more energy to come back up to temp than to just leave it going all the time. Plus the liquid glass in it would have to be ladled out before a shut down so that it would not break the kiln as it cooled.

I made a run to Mt. Rainier today. I decided to go across the north side and around the east side to end up at Paradise, which is on the southwest side. As I arrived at the last place to buy gas for the run around Rainier, the pumps were coned off...no gas. 52 miles ahead and 30 miles out of the way(that means 30 back also) there would be gas. It was a gorgeous ride and full of other riders doing the side trips. I got pictures of a few of the bikes that passed me several times. As these guys pulled up and parked one Harley rider was complaining about the oil his bike was throwing all over his legs. I heard his buddy say, "Like I have said, pal, that's why you need to get a YA....MA....HA!"

Whistlin' Jack's Lodge and Tavern. Very cool.

IMG_4548.jpg

Super charged? Cold air intake? Decoration?

IMG_4549.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

I didn't have lunch, but I did get a picture of the carriage in front of the restrooms.

IMG_4552.jpg

I zipped out of the parking lot to the left across the double yellow lines. They had just been painted while I was inside. That would have been a good thing to know before I zipped across them. My rear tire took a detour from the path of the front tire for a couple seconds as I crossed the wet paint, but that was OK because then it snapped back. Wheee! And then I was stuck behind the striping truck which was painting a double yellow to the left and a single white to the right. It wasn't long before he moved and I was moving again. I got back to the place I had been before the gas detour and got a few pictures.

This was to be as close as I got to Rainier today. I just didn't know it yet.

IMG_4544.jpg

These springs were everywhere.

IMG_4554.jpg

STEEP...all day everything was steep. I just have to face up to this truth...I can ride the mountains and LOVE it, but stopping for pictures sets off the irrational fear of heights and messes with my natural cool and calm. My heart rate changes, my legs rubberize, my hands lose dexterity. So unless the pull off is huge like this one, no pictures for you guys.

IMG_4547.jpg

I arrived at the vacant National Park HQ's to find a tiny paper sign that the Steven's Ranch Road was closed for repairs until August. Then the parade of trucks carrying boulders I had seen all day started to make sense.

So I rode out the way I rode in. I was tired by then so I decided to finish the run to Paradise tomorrow!!

I made it to Mt Rainier finally! I now know that what I like about oceans is the water and what I like about mountains is how the water flows out of them.

On the road up, I crossed this bridge and stopped to take pictures.

IMG_4558.jpg

It was a bridge built over Christine Falls. This is not them, but some wayward spring that will join up later.

IMG_4559.jpg

Here is a look up one side of the road.

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

Here is the view after the walk down.

IMG_4577.jpg

I made short videos so you can hear it! I did not know you can't rotate the video like you can a photo. So enjoy the sideways waterfall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SzfqD8RvcQ

And I got closer.

IMG_4579.jpg

This is a steep and rugged place.

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4584.jpg

I found the Narada Falls next. Wow wa wow wow wow!

IMG_4586.jpg

IMG_4587.jpg

I love catching the wildness of the water on camera.

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4589.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

Yes, I walked to the lower view and made pictures and a video just for you.

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

The next three shots are not the same spot. I have zoomed and have shot three pictures to stitch. The water changes so rapidly the autostitch couldn't match them.

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4600.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

OOh...aahh!

IMG_4603.jpg

Looking down Narada Falls

Narada Falls from the view point

I made it to Paradise at 3500 feet. The Steven's Ranch Road takes you up higher, but is closed. Rainier is just over 14000 feet high.

IMG_4612.jpg

I stopped to get a picture of the Nisqually Glacier...a river of ice. This is the headwaters of the Nisqually River which has provided us with the beautiful Falls.

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg

While I was studying maps of the area, I looked at Mt St Helens from the satellite view. The lake in this picture is Spirit Lake. It sure does look like a Fox.

IMG_4623.jpg

I pack tomorrow for two days in Portland before I head across to Colorado.

Your cousins are so cool, Hannah. You guys would have a blast together. Most of my cousins are here, too. John, Jerry, and Sally Jo. My father John married my mother Bettie Jo and they had Jim, John, and Joe. I want to know what happened to MY J name.

well technically u could have been "J"ary but we shall all reffer to you now as "J"oozy

:) one summer maybe i shall have time.... haha ya right

I want the name Juwanna. "Juwanna Sooz" I could wear muumuu's and own a tiki bar. Just the t-shirt sales alone would support me. Tye dyed t's with just this on the front: JUWANNA?

Hannah, plan ahead like I did. You will have time. I gave birth to you 20 years ago so you could mow the lawn for me while I take this trip. It is all in the planning.

Joozy Juwanna,

Since you like the waterfalls so much, I hope while you're in Portland that you've allowed time to go see Multnomah. There's a road out of Portland towards Mt. Hood that follows the Columbia River. A while after leaving town you'll see a sign "<---- Scenic Route 19 miles". Once on that road have your camera ready and your foot on the brake-there's a falls around almost every curve it seems like. In my opinion some are prettier than Multnomah, but it's the showpiece of the drive at 619 feet (total; there are two drops, a major and a minor).

I can't wait to see what Joker does with "Juwanna". Juwanna beer with that?
;-)

Wishing you the Best of Luck on the remainder of your adventure and a safe return.

The same artist designed the glass ceiling in the Flower Room in the Bellagio in Vegas. I lifted this picture from the web.

9088_4.jpg

I thought about hail too, Dave. The colorful pieces are protected by Lexan. It isn't the clearest plastic for the display but it is so strong(yet flexible). But all that clear glass could take a beating. Most of the clear glass was of simple design. Overheat a blob on the end of the pole and spin it. There were hundreds. By the way, the clear glass that is cut off, wasted, or broken goes back in the kiln with the molten glass. That kiln is never shut off. It takes more energy to come back up to temp than to just leave it going all the time. Plus the liquid glass in it would have to be ladled out before a shut down so that it would not break the kiln as it cooled.

Soozy, we were in Vegas a few weeks ago and saw the ceiling in the Bellagio. It was quite impressive. Thanks for the behind the scenes look. Also, thanks for sharing your incredible trip with us.

Vegas_2009_089.jpg

Wasn't that room just yummy to every sense?!! Your picture is very beautiful, I appreciate you posting it.

Tank...I am going to follow the Columbia River as I leave Portland, so I will take your advice and go see the falls.

So on to Portland in the morning. It will be an interesting day as we are making the first trip on a brand new 42 foot Valiant sailboat. John works with Phil who has saved for his lifetime to be able to purchase this boat new. Phil invited John and Carla to join him for the first time to raise the sails. This is a big moment in a person realizing a dream and I get to tag along! Carla and I have made a nice picnic complete with strawberries and champagne to send us all off.

I think it is a three hour tour....(couldn't pass up that opportunity:mrgreen:).

Friday we will see the Spruce Goose, and Saturday I leave early to make the trip toward Colorado. I think I am down to three weeks of summer left!

I think I am down to three weeks of summer left!

Hasn't this summer just flown by?! I can't believe we are that close to having to go back to the little darlings!

Really enjoying your report and pictures!

Joozy Juwanna,

Since you like the waterfalls so much, I hope while you're in Portland that you've allowed time to go see Multnomah. There's a road out of Portland towards Mt. Hood that follows the Columbia River. A while after leaving town you'll see a sign "<---- Scenic Route 19 miles". Once on that road have your camera ready and your foot on the brake-there's a falls around almost every curve it seems like. In my opinion some are prettier than Multnomah, but it's the showpiece of the drive at 619 feet (total; there are two drops, a major and a minor).

I can't wait to see what Joker does with "Juwanna". Juwanna beer with that?
;-)

Wishing you the Best of Luck on the remainder of your adventure and a safe return.

+100000000

Hwy 84 east and I believe its at Corbet that you'll find the exit to the Scenic Hwy. That is some of the most beautiful scenery you can imagine. I lived just a few miles from the Scenic Hwy and my kids and I would love to drive up there and hike the falls. Oh, I'm so homesick now! We would go to Vista House and just hang out for the sunset. It's worth the time.

Keep up the good work, "Jooooozzzzzyyy". Prayers for a continued safe, awesome trip.

Thank you for that, Wally!

Yesterday was one of those unbelievable bucket list days. So let me get straight to the pictures of the maiden voyage of the Barlavento. Windward.

IMG_4642.jpg

She is a brand new 42 foot Valiant sailing yacht and had never had her sails raised.

IMG_4643.jpg

Phil, her owner became DATE #19. :mrgreen:

IMG_4644.jpg

The cabin is lovely.

IMG_4645.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

So we motor out to the Columbia River and up with the sails! Main first. It is a self reefing sail which is hauled up electrically.

IMG_4648.jpg

Then the jib...which furls around the thingy and is drawn out by hand.

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

Johnny takes the wheel for a little while. The wind is extremely light and blowing down river, so we tack upriver. After an hour of tacking we see that we are in the same spot as where we started due to the current.

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

Phil fires up the 55hp inboard diesel and we head for a bridge just to see the other side of it. Now I have the wheel!! And they better not even think about taking it away from me.

IMG_4665.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4670.jpg

I posted all of these pictures so I can look back at how HAPPY I was at this moment in time!

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

This boat carries 57 feet of mast, but no worries because the bridge is about 150 feet up there.

IMG_4684.jpg

We waited a moment on the barge to clear the bridge.

IMG_4688.jpg

Like a floating light house.

IMG_4691.jpg

Fun sights along the way! Carla and I prepared hors d'ouvres and scrumptious chicken salad with grapes and pecans stuffed in **** bread with avocado, cucumber, and tomato. We popped the top on a rose champagne and toasted the Barlavento while avoiding collision with this...

The Ironwood

We saw the other side of the bridge, and came about still under power. Soon after motoring under the bridge again, we caught some wind and the river busied up with afternoon sailing races. Off with the power and now WE BE SAILING!!!

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

That's right dude, we are on starboard tack...so fall off.

IMG_4705.jpg

Thank you!

IMG_4706.jpg

I kept this piece of inner dialogue to myself, but I was thinking, "I am sailing this big freaking ship with 57 foot mast and 9500 pound keel, drafting 6 feet, costing close to half a million, ocean worthy, first time with sails, threading my way through sailing races, barges, water skiers, and bridges and no one is worried?!" heheheh I quickly switched from closely watching all the electronics to FEELING the wind to find the pocket.

IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4733.jpg

IMG_4736.jpg

IMG_4738.jpg

Phil was enjoying being able to wander and tinker with trim.

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

Mt Hood in the distance.

IMG_4746.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

Oh Yeah!

Close hauled.

About 4 hours later, they ripped me loose from the wheel. This day will live on for me!

Seems like you were moving along at a pretty good clip - any idea how fast the boat was going?

Looks like a lot of fun!

Back