• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

South East TX TARA DS Ride, Saturday March 18 (2017)

Reaction score
The Purpose:
In an effort to start the Houston area chapter of the TARA (Texas Adventure Riders Association) I am planning a DS ride on March 18, 2017 just west of Houston. The purpose of this ride is to generate interest in TARA and get DS riders together in the SE Texas area for planning future rides and discuss meeting locations. The ultimate goal is to resurrect the “ET750” ride for maybe later this year and give a small taste to new riders of what SE Texas has to offer.
The Ride:
The ride will start at Bu-cee’s in Waller TX and ride to Sam Houston National Forrest then make a loop west and finally back to Buc-ee’s in Waller TX. This loop is about 75% dirt roads (all public roads) and follows some of the “Day 2, ET750” route. The planned routes include both paved and off-pavement riding and is suitable for any street-legal dual sport adventure bike. I have run this route several times and added small adjustments to make it fun. The route is about 225 miles long and takes a good 6 hours to run.
My thought is to meet at Buc-ee’s in Waller TX at 7am for a M&G, coffee, breakfast and gas. There is plenty of room to park your vehicle if you trailer your bike, plus Buc-ee’s sells ethanol free gas at this location!
Stands up at 8am so please have a full tank of gas before we leave because the first scheduled stop for gas is in Shiro TX (~100 miles from start). There are gas stops in the area but most are off the planned route.

In:
BornAgain
my6
FLY
William Wolfen
Doctor Z
qwerty11010
LeloTX
Ari Garcia
bpstacey
hambone334
Motex +2
Goyko

Half way meet up:
Tourmeister
Woodsguy

Maybe:
Bosvark
Rustylane (See you on the next one)
subcomm
mcrider

Shaping up to a good ride!

Attachments

• Bucky's 250.jpg
    Bucky's 250.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 516
  • Bucky's 250 V1.2.gpx
    1 MB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Let's do this. I'm in. How about we get there early and have breakfast....

Last edited:
Thanks for your lead with this ride jdsmetx.. would love to explore that part of Tx with y'all - My Vstrom 1000 has slicks on - better to put the nobblies on for this ride would you say? Gerhard

Thanks for your lead with this ride jdsmetx.. would love to explore that part of Tx with y'all - My Vstrom 1000 has slicks on - better to put the nobblies on for this ride would you say? Gerhard

Bosvark, welcome! Most of the roads are very derivable and has some rocks that can make it interesting. I would recommend some kind of knobbies for good traction. The best of my knowledge there is no deep sand so should be a good ride.

The Purpose:

The Ride:
The ride will start at Bu-cee’s in Waller TX and ride to Sam Houston National Forrest then make a loop west and finally back to Buc-ee’s in Waller TX. This loop is about 75% dirt roads (all public roads) and follows some of the “Day 2, ET750” route. The planned routes include both paved and off-pavement riding and is suitable for any street-legal dual sport adventure bike. I have run this route several times and added small adjustments to make it fun. The route is about 225 miles long and takes a good 6 hours to run.
My thought is to meet at Buc-ee’s in Waller TX at 7am for a M&G, coffee, breakfast and gas. There is plenty of room to park your vehicle if you trailer your bike, plus Buc-ee’s sells ethanol free gas at this location!
Stands up at 8am so please have a full tank of gas before we leave because the first scheduled stop for gas is in Shiro TX (~100 miles from start). There are gas stops in the area but most are off the planned route.

jdsmetx- thank you for taking the time to track this route and provide a gpx file. If this could be archived under East Tx routes for easy recollection on the TARA website that would be superb! I see it is on there now but not sure if that will go away when future rides pop up.

jdsmetx- thank you for taking the time to track this route and provide a gpx file. If this could be archived under East Tx routes for easy recollection on the TARA website that would be superb! I see it is on there now but not sure if that will go away when future rides pop up.

Rustylane7, this is a good point and I will contact Trailboss to see if he can add to the list you mentioned above.
Are you going to join us for a ride? Hope to see you there.

Ok, unless things change it looks like I'll be in town for this one. I've already got the route loaded in my GPS. Looking forward to it!

I'll try to attend. If my schedule allows, considering I have to drive from Dallas.:rider:

Riders,
GPS File Update:
Please be advised the GPS file has been updated with small changes. I rode the route today and modified the GPS file to a new version "Bucky's 250 V1.2". This will be the final version and the one we will ride on Saturday March 18th. Please refer to post#1 for the latest version.

Road Conditions:
Road conditions are very good. There is minimal road construction in SHNF but the road graders are out in force and some roads are very rocky with loose gravel. Most importantly, the dust should be very little to none! Overall the roads are damp with good traction.

Final Details:
I will post final details on Thursday March 16th. If you have any questions please let me know,

Back