• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

South East TX TARA DS Ride, Saturday March 18 (2017)

I'll get the new GPX this evening. Looking forward to the ride. If we get enough turn out I'd be happy to lead a second group.

If I can get away, I might try to hook up with the group somewhere along the way.

Tourmeister, Hope you can make it! We will keep a watch out for you! :rider:

It's gonna be a beautiful day to ride....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Not sure yet, but would want to meet along the way if I do. I'd have to leave at 5am to make Waller at 7.

:tab NOT a chance in the world that I will be riding down to Waller by 7:00am!! :brainsnap :nono: :lol2:

:tab I was thinking of riding out 1374 to wait for the group to show up when they pop out of the NF. It looks like they are cutting across at Stubblefield Lake Rd. I was thinking I might be there at that corner on 1374 by 8:45-9:00am. Then I would run with the group until we reached Navasota. From there I would basically run the route as shown back to 1374, basically just cutting off the section of the route South of Hwy 105.

:tab That assumes they are running the section of the route North of Hwy 105 in a counter clockwise direction.

:tab By the way, just a word of caution for everyone...

:tab If you look at the route just South of Anderson, find the intersection of CR 406 and CR 215. It has an inverted V shape on the map. If you are heading East on 406, that intersection is JUST around a blind corner and there is very little time to stop if you are hauling. It can sneak up on you REAL easy. It is loose gravel so there will be a lot of sliding involved if you are trying to stop fast.

:tab Find Shiro and look on the East side of town. CR 233 starts at Bays Chapel Rd., and you'll see a small dog leg followed by a larger right/left with a short straight in the middle. It is paved from Bays Chapel until just before that second larger right/left section. You'll be coming up a hill and the pavement will end. It is a mix of gravel and sand, becoming mostly sand as you hit the corner. It is a tight 90 corner. If you blow it, you go right into a barbed wire fence. The stretch between the two corners and the next corner is also a mix of sand and gravel. Where CR 233 crosses CR232, there is a lot of piled up sand in the intersection. After that, there are two SHARP 90s before you reach Shiro. No sand in them to speak of, but they have very limited sight lines and tend to have more vehicle traffic on them than most of the rest of the dirt roads on the route. STAY on the right side of the road in these corners ;-)

:tab Now look North of Hwy 30 in the upper right section of the route for Hopewell Rd. From Birdwell to where Hopewell makes the 90 North, there are a few sections of sand. They aren't real bad. Recently the county has been dumping large aggregate on the road, so there have been some fairly deep patches of 1-2" diameter gravel. Just stay on the gas and you won't have any issues.

:tab When the route goes from FM 1696 to Scales Ranch Rd., not far from the above sections, there is a quick left/right corner. It can be pretty deep sand in the corner depending on recent weather and traffic. It used to all be fun deep sand, but again, the county has been laying down gravel. There are a few sections after the road starts heading South back to Hopewell that have some of that deep gravel. Quite a few of the corners are of the tight, narrow, and blind type as well.

:tab Is the Lunch stop in Iola?

I can't speak to the direction of travel, but I thought that the departure time was 8. No need to arrive at 7, just 7:45! Still to early for y'all I imagine. I certainly wouldn't mind heading counter clockwise to pick you guys up!

Scott, all these "challenging" corners you speak of sound like fun! But I have a sneaking suspicion I've been on most of them already...

Not really challenging, just something to be aware of ;-)

As much as i want to attend this ride i think i am out... I need to get a few things ready for the Big Bend departure next Thursday morning. I'll catch the next one.

Riders Final Update:

Meet up:
We will meet at Buc-ee’s in Waller TX at 7am Saturday March 18th (see Buc-ee’s site map for meet up location). Buc-ee’s serves breakfast burritos, coffee, snacks and other breakfast items. Riders meeting at 7:45am, kickstands up and ready to ride at 8am.
Lunch:
There are three possibilities:
1. Bring your own meal to eat plus snacks. Water is a must! We will stop at different times to take breaks and eat snacks.
2. Bedias TX has a small café and is open from 7am to 2:30pm. The “Pit Stop Café” is a comfort food style restaurant. Time may be our biggest issue but a good possibility we could make it before closing time.
3. Iola TX has a BBQ place that is good. “Mallett Brothers BBQ” is a small town BBQ restaurant and it’s hours are from 7am to 2pm. Time will be our biggest issue.
We can decide our lunch possibilities as a group Saturday morning.
Pit Stops:
1. SHNF East Side Multi-use Trailhead (bathroom break)
2. Shiro TX – Gas and Bathroom break
3. Bedias or Iola TX – Lunch, gas, and bathroom break
4. Navasota TX – gas and bathroom break
Group Formation:
By my estimate we have about 15+ riders coming for a Saturday ride! We will divide into smaller groups to make it easy to manage, thinking 5 to 6 riders per group. For those who are willing to lead a group, get with me Saturday morning. I will be leading a group and William Wolfen has volunteered to lead a second group. A third group leader may be required.

Looking forward to this ride and meeting all of you. If you have any questions please let me know.
Joe, forum name: jdsmetx

Attachments

• Bucee's.jpg
    Bucee's.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 288
If you can't make the other places in a timely manner and you don't mind a few extra miles, there is a really good BBQ place (CJ's I think it is called) right off Hwy 30 at the first stop light (Harvey Rd.) as you come into College Station. If you cross the Navasota River on CR 162/Long Trussel Rd., you can run Elmo Weeden into 30, have lunch, then run 30 East to pick up the route where it crosses 30. It adds 10 miles to your route, but Hwy 30 is 70mph, so it really wouldn't add much time wise.

It is open all day. There is also a gas station right there as well.

Okay, my plan is to be at the corner on FM 1374 and Stubblefield Lake Rd., by 9:30-9:45am at the latest. There's a concrete parking lot there at the turn. I should be easy to spot.

According to Basecamp, it is 79 miles from the Buccee's to that intersection along the route in the GPX file. The GPS says that will take 2-1/2 hours. I suspect it might be closer to 2 hours, at most. So if the main group actually leaves at 8:00am, I should still be there with time to spare unless they are running a REALLY fast pace ;-)

Rob, if you want to hook up, we can meet either at my place or Smileys. I'll probably need to top of at Smiley's on the way out anyway if you just want to meet there at 9:00am. I'll be on the GS with Daniel riding pillion.

If you can't make the other places in a timely manner and you don't mind a few extra miles, there is a really good BBQ place (CJ's I think it is called) right off Hwy 30 at the first stop light (Harvey Rd.) as you come into College Station. If you cross the Navasota River on CR 162/Long Trussel Rd., you can run Elmo Weeden into 30, have lunch, then run 30 East to pick up the route where it crosses 30. It adds 10 miles to your route, but Hwy 30 is 70mph, so it really wouldn't add much time wise.

It is open all day. There is also a gas station right there as well.

Thanks, this would be a good alternative and actually my wife suggested the place as well! :lol2: I'm pretty sure I know where it's at and your right, CJ's is not that far. A hungry rider is not a happy rider!:eat:

Scott, I'll plan on picking you up there. I'll PM my phone number so you can reach me if anything changes. I have a Sena in my helmet and can take calls while riding.

Back