• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: South O' the Plex - Meet & Eat

I was thinking that same time. It sounds fine to me. Again, I will let y'all know if my plans change.

I normally have a night schedule and have been up since about 3 AM today so being ready to roll at 7 AM tomorrow shouldn't be an issue thankfully. I have yet to set up a GPS file to build a route successfully for my GPS, but hopefully before tomorrow morning, I can have something put together. As I am really new to all the dual sport stuff if someone else can lead, that would be great. I've been looking at google maps near Ensign Road and 287 for my test GPS route to start the "ride" and end near FM667 close to Italy so far. I think most of it is still dirt/gravel from Ensign to FM667. At least that's what it seems to be from google.

FYI, there is a farm at the corner of Farrar and Blue Ribbon that has camels and zebras and stuff. That's a cool stop for pics.

Also, there is a good stopping point at the top of the hill on Sugar Ridge Rd for pics as well.

Thank you sir. I'll see if I can find those and add them to my places to look at around the area.

It looks like I'm good to go. Meet y'all at Ovilla & 35 at 7:00.

I like the route Jarrett did on Ride with GPS. I printed out the map and turns. We can ride this if you want.

Just know that my family calls me "U-Turn Larry" for a reason; I miss alot of turns and have to turn around. LOL

I like the route Jarrett did on Ride with GPS. I printed out the map and turns. We can ride this if you want.

Just know that my family calls me "U-Turn Larry" for a reason; I miss alot of turns and have to turn around. LOL

Room for one more?

Room for as many as can go. Like I said earlier, I have no idea what I'm doing with the GPS. Still playing with it so hopefully I can get it put together before I pass out for the day.

For everyone wondering where I was talking about meeting, this should be the Whataburger on 35-E and Ovilla Road. Its technically on the service road, but easy to get to from Ovilla road. Sort of a clover leaf turn from the north side headed south. Heading out, I was thinking FM664 over to 45 to get south to Ennis to start. Maybe someone can put in a route from Red Oak to Ennis without hitting 70 MPH streets if 65-70 is a bit much. I"m not sure what everyone is riding.

My route was going to attempt Ensign to Sandwich Rd. Then Ramons to cut over to St. Clair Rd. Run on St. Clair to get to Sullivan and then on to Bassinger to Gorman to Davis to Austonia to Gillespie Rd to Trees to FM55. Then South to Bunky Lane and hopefully White Rock Rd headed north all the way around to Dianna Lynn Rd over to FM667. We could also go south on White Rock Rd (NW 4430 Rd) to hit NW 4420 Rd to get over to FM667 a bit further south.

Last edited:
Here is Chris Doherty dirty route we did last year. Fun ride

164e0217b2b20f14f54597d110c59bce.jpg

I'll meet you guys at Whataburger at 7 in the AM.

Meeting at the Whataburger at 101 Harris Ave, Red Oak, TX 75154? KSU at 7:00am?

I saw the route, how many hours do you expect it to take out there? I'm a maybe. I haven't ridden too much out that way, so it will be new to me.

Yes that's the one I wouldn't think it will take more than a couple hours. Planning on being back by 11

Yes that's the one I wouldn't think it will take more than a couple hours. Planning on being back by 11

That's probably good. Get off the road before it gets really warm out. I'm 99%. Need to leave my house at 5:45 am to get there before 7:00.

I'm not sure the dirt to paved ratio but it's the smallest roads on the map. :rider:

Well OK then, I guess I will set the alarm and join in as well. Poor bike has not been started in a month and I did not put on the tender. I said if it starts I will go. Went out and fired right up. Whataburger is about 15 miles for me. See you at 7, I hope. I will also try to load the map into the montana. May have to up date the montana first LOL, it has been a while. I guess we can load on to the phone as well.

I can tell you from searching myself that you can't go down James Rd. to Sawmill Rd. east of Ferris. I went looking for Sawmill Rd. a couple of months back. From FM660 it dead ends at the first dogleg turn shown in google maps. The map doesn't show this though. It is a public road, but it is more or less a really long driveway for someone. Nice house at the end of the road though.

This is the route I have put together. About 58 miles total. I'd guess probably 2-3 hours riding around. If we kickstand up at 7 AM, then we could probably be done by 10 depending on stops and stops for pics. If we just kept rolling, then maybe less than 2 hours.

Again, I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm just trying to have myself a good time near west lancaster to stay kind of close to home.

I'd like to try to hit something like old jones road, slate rock road, pump house road, from stacks rd where FM660 makes a sharp turn in what I think is Bristol one of these days.

Last edited:
Yea the program I use to make routes is a little dated. I haven't had a chance to ride that route yet so I'm sure it isn't 100% accurate. I usually have 1 or 2 detours Durning my travels lol.

Had a great ride this morning and made it home before it got hot. Nice meeting you new people and great seeing those I had met prior. Thanks for letting me tag along.

We had a great turnout for this ride, 6 bikes/riders on various dual-sport/Adventure Bikes. We started our ride early to beat the Texas heat, 7:00 at Whataburger then Kick Stands Up.

Jared had a route planned that took us on backroads, gravel roads and some dirt. We had the roads to ourselves, nice tree-shaded country roads, then we came across an Exotic Animal Farm with Camels, goats, and who-knows-what.

Of course, we had to stop and take pics...

41066172350_a4fd098f58_z.jpg

David made some friends who were posing for his camera...

41066172090_fc059cb9fb_z.jpg

From here, we headed to Ennis to find some gravel roads through farm land. We passed corn fields as far as the eye could see, then it turned to sunflowers. I found it interesting that they all were facing the sun; it was like hundreds of heads looking at us as we rode.

28007671837_392cce3bb0_z.jpg

28007671787_f054e1c0bb_z.jpg

It was beginning to get hot as we ended the ride at a gas station in Italy. So, we went our separate ways heading back home. I kept thinking I should probably get gas while at the station, but pushed the thought back thinking I was good. I should have listened to that little voice....

On the way back to Waxahachie, running at about 60 miles an hour, my XL250R died and I was just coasting. I quickly flipped it to reserve and she came back to life. But, now I did not know how far before I was truly out of gas and I began to panic. Fortunately, we made it, I got gas, and Andrew and David headed off to explore around Waxahachie.

41976067205_f52e967a4f_z.jpg

I wanted to poke around town and see the sights. I heard that there is a "Munsters Mansion" house in Waxahachie, built by a fan of the old TV show. I found it, but did not stop for photos as it was so grown up you could barely see it.

I headed back home just as it was getting hot and I was tired. Driveway to driveway for me was 144 miles. I had a great time and look forward to the next. Thanks everyone.

Back