• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spark arrestor remedy, maybe

Wonder if it has a USFS sticker? Would pass the stick test which is all I have had done.

Manuf says it has been submitted to FS for approval, but hasn’t been yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically, to ride in a National Forest, it's required to have a Forest Service approved spark arrestor. The stamp confirms that it has been approved.

I agree about the stamped approval ..
and that's fine and alll
004.jpg

....but this thing we're talking about is....a "drop in" ....it's not a fully closed muffler.
why does this drop in need any FS stamping?

and that's fine and alll
View attachment 251832

....but this thing we're talking about is....a "drop in" ....it's not a fully closed muffler.

It needs a stamp because the drop in IS the spark arrestor, and the NFS requires it. Most manufacturers stamp the muffler because that is the convenient spot. If you look at the FMF spark arrestor "drop in" (very close in design to what is being discussed here) for the FMF 4.1 muffler, it has the approved FS model/stamp engraved in very tiny letters around the rim of the spark arrestor. And, as it has been said already here in this thread, that is a FS requirement, technically. I have seen them check for the stamp in Cloudcroft. The Ranger has a book that references all the approved SA device numbers. I have also seen tickets issued.

and that's fine and alll
View attachment 251832

I get the impression you have never served in the military,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because Dao,,,just because!

I have wanted an upgrade to my exhaust for a while. This would be great if approved.

There’s a company named Cobra that makes Sparky spark arrestors to add on to a lot of stock MX bikes and they make replacement baffles on non-MX bikes for some stock exhaust with a built in spark arrestors (saw they do some Suzuki models - not sure about others). All of their spark arrestors are FS approved.

There’s a company named Cobra that makes Sparky spark arrestors to add on to a lot of stock MX bikes and they make replacement baffles on non-MX bikes for some stock exhaust with a built in spark arrestors (saw they do some Suzuki models - not sure about others). All of their spark arrestors are FS approved.

Thanks. I actually just ran across them on google. It also appears that two brothers just added spark arrestors to their aluminum model.

Of all the irony... only place I've been checked was at the Peach Valley ohv area just north of Montrose. There's nothing but bare dirt out there for crying out loud. But literally within sight (a long sight) we have two coal powered locomotives blowing cinders into the San Juan NF at such a rate that a guy follows them putting out fires. Cept for a couple summers ago when he wasn't fast enough and they torched the mountains between Silverton and Durango. Whatever... Go figure.

Just tell them its an FMF. They have no markings but are the most purchased aftermarket around.

Back