• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Speed Twin?

See my test ride report from about a month ago. Bike still interests me. Maybe in the fall when it cools off I will try again, and maybe dealer won't put it into kitten-rain mode. Bike had zero torque-hp-character at all compared to my Moto Guzzi V7 III. Hated the instrument glare and tiny hidden side stand ball.
Otherwise a beautiful bike. Engine extremely quiet, sounded like a sewing machine. Tank cap unwieldy also?

Bike had zero torque-hp-character at all compared to my Moto Guzzi V7 III.

Just want to make sure I have this correct:

2020 Moto Guzzi V7 III
Max Power:52 hp @ 6,200 rpm
Max Torque:44.2 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm

2020 Triumph Speed Twin

Max Power EC 96Hp (72kW) @ 6,750rpm
Max Torque EC 82.6 FT-lbs (112Nm) @ 4,950 rpm

Are you sure that bike you tested wasn't broken? Even in Rain mode, the Speed Twin should easily outperform a bike with those specs.

Just want to make sure I have this correct:

2020 Moto Guzzi V7 III
Max Power:52 hp @ 6,200 rpm
Max Torque:44.2 lb.-ft. @ 4,200 rpm

2020 Triumph Speed Twin

Max Power EC 96Hp (72kW) @ 6,750rpm
Max Torque EC 82.6 FT-lbs (112Nm) @ 4,950 rpm

Are you sure that bike you tested wasn't broken? Even in Rain mode, the Speed Twin should easily outperform a bike with those specs.

Jarrett,

Exactly correct! Dealer insisted on "rain mode" for the Speed Twin per my ride review. This despite riding my Guzzi in, obviously an experienced rider and truly interested buyer. Speed was about like riding my old Honda Scrambler 175 Twin: just dead response. So, my test ride was "incomplete" and dealer blew it.
Clock dials and side stand were disappointing. Guzzi punches above its weight... try one sometime and see.

That is a great review. As he said, the really surprising part about this bike is how well it handles the twisty stuff.

When I bought it, I thought it was one thing, but it really turned out to be multi-functional.

And I loved this line. "You don't have to feed it gears, you don't have to feed it revs, you just open the throttle and off it goes." :)

That guy is hysterical. I love the line @ 7:05 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great review. As he said, the really surprising part about this bike is how well it handles the twisty stuff.

When I bought it, I thought it was one thing, but it really turned out to be multi-functional.

And I loved this line. "You don't have to feed it gears, you don't have to feed it revs, you just open the throttle and off it goes." :)

That guy is hysterical. I love line @ 7:05 :D
They're being serious and I'm thinking Monty python. Blootyell

I waited to long somebody beat me to the Speed Twin... They have another 2019 at MSRP... I really like, want and need the Speed Twin but not that much!!! 😪

I bet Tony would make you a good deal on this one:

1594555215126.png

Thanks, I'll check it out... Hope it"s not the bike from the video😟
If you test ride, be sure its not in rain mode.

I will see if Triumph comes out with a color combo that perks my interest more next year.

They told me it was a guy that had a Multistrada and wanted to buy the Speed Twin for touring :shrug:

Apparently, he brought it back and traded it on a more tour worthy bike. They did all the servicing there, they told me.

I almost bought this one, but the two tone silver was too hard to resist, so I bought a new one.

They told me it was a guy that had a Multistrada and wanted to buy the Speed Twin for touring :shrug:

Apparently, he brought it back and traded it on a more tour worthy bike. They did all the servicing there, they told me.

I almost bought this one, but the two tone silver was too hard to resist, so I bought a new one.
Cool. Always think I will get a bike from somebody that rides like I do. That's not a good thing. The new black one looks good also. Touring on a naked bike is not for everybody. Been most everywhere back in the day on a 650 when it was a big bike and toured on my Buell. Last summer made 3200 miles on the Sport Glide in a week fairly comfortable. Not to say I'll be doing it again on my DR, but it would be an Adventure!

Had a Speed Twin a few years back. Fun bike to ride. 1955 5T 500cc thought I had a picture on the computer but I must have deleted it.

Back