• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Speedometer gear in front wheel hub

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I thought my speedometer cable broke, after checking the cable and speedometer, they were fine, I took the front wheel off and found a small piece of metal. It probably fits into the gear hub where the s speedometer cable connects. I ordered a new seal and washer plate as described in the manual and on line schematic. The only problem with the pictures provided is it doesn't show any type of tang that would fit in the gear unit. Has anyone had this experience and did I order the right parts???

I might have missed it but what kind of machine are you working on don't think I saw it in there anywhere to help us along.

That little piece of metal you found, does it look like it would have fit into one of the notches in the rotating part of the speedo drive gear (at ~2:30 & 8:30 in this pic)?

Yamaha XS750 Speedo Drive.jpg

The little tab/tabs have to be part of or attached to something that rotates and I'm thinking it/they may be part of the wheel. Do you see anyplace where the little piece you found might have broken off?

(Got the pic off eBay and it might not be exactly the right one but all the XS Speedo Drives I looked at had notches just like that, that pic was just the clearest one, but some did not have threaded connections to the drive cable.) I couldn't find any wheel pics good enough to see if there were any tab thingies in the hub.

Yes, that looks similar to mine with the exception of the threaded cable connection. This part on my bike is ok. The washer is the question. I did not see where any metal piece came off. It appear s bent. I have not removed those pieces from the wheel hub as yet. I may have been a bit premature on reaching out . I was just hoping someone was familiar with the plate washer, as it is called, is a part with those tangs that fit into the slots in your picture. Thanks for your reply.

I had one suddenly go out this year. Replaced the 'tang washer' and all is well.

Do you by any chance, know the part number for this tang washer? The part I ordered does not have the tangs and neither does my manual or computer schematics show tangs on the washer under the outer oil seal.

Back