• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sport-ish Saddlebag Advice

Reaction score
First Name
ZACH
HEEEELLLLP! I'm getting a little analysis paralysis looking at the SW-motech problaze H saddles vs the Cortech Super 2.0s. If anyone has any experience with them or better options that I'm not aware of I would love to hear it. The saddles are going on a F900XR, and it doesnt have side racks. The sw-motech includes mounting lower support rails but come at a premium $450 vs the $200 cortechs. I hear rave reviews about about the durability of the cortechs, but dont know much about about the sw's other than the reviews of people trying to sell them which I have to assume is biased. Another point of concern is that I have a tail tidy with oem turn signals and honestly I dont know if either of these options are going to clear them. Getting smaller signals isn't out of the question as a last resort, but I don't mind (would prefer) keeping the bigger sigs for better visibility if I can. The preference is to stay away from bulky fixed hardware but I'm sure my mind could be changed, however, price is definitely a limiting factor. The bike is primarily used for commuting, and ~3 hr rides. Attached are a few images so you can see what I'm working with. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210323_194302.jpg
    20210323_194302.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210323_195926.jpg
    20210323_195926.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 138
I have the Cortech Super 2.0 bags that I use on my Yamaha FZ1. They are a replacement for the Cortechs that I had on my previous FZ1. I don't have any experience with the SW-Mototechs, though. The first set was blue, for my blue FZ1, and I had them for about 10 years. The new FZ1 was white / black, and the old bags were getting faded, so I got a new set of black ones for the newer bike. They never gave me any issues, so I got the updated Super 2.0s. They are about 17 inches in length, so I don't thing there should be any issue with them on your bike. The only thing that is strange with mine is the the tail section on my newer bike is very triangulated, so when the bags are on, they follow the shape of the tail, and the triangle shaped tail makes them look a little wierd. Functionally, they are great. They have straps between the bags that lay over the seat and are soft rubber link material that doesn't slip much and won't scratch up paint that they may touch. The are secured with adjustable straps on the front and rear, and the adjustable straps between the bags can be adjusted to keep them from getting into the wheel. No fixed hardware needed. I have done several major road trips with them, as well as for local rides where I just need more cargo capacity. I think they would fit well on your bike well, just in front of the turn signals. It looks like they would secure to your rear pegs on the front, and you would probably need to wrap the rear straps around the tail light mount and secure them together under the tail. That's about how I do it, and it works well for me. The straps all have clips that help make it easier to install and remove.

I also have the Cortech Super 2.0 Tail bag. If you have the saddle bags and want to increase your capacity, the tail bag clips into the saddle bags very easily and quickly. They are made to work together, and it's a nice touch when you need to carry more stuff.

The bags come with rain covers, but to be honest, I never use them. I lost a cover on a long road trip, and then ended up in a major down pour later in the return home. Traffic on-10 was about 30 feet, it was raining so hard! However, even without the rain covers, the bags kept my stuff dry. I've never used the rain covers since. The bags are tough, secure well, and haven't caused me any problems. If you want to pull them off, it only takes a couple minutes, and putting them back on after you have already adjusted all the straps is pretty easy as well. They've served me well!

I have ran various Cortech bags over the years. They all hold up well, but being universal fit, you may have mounting issues setting them up initially. The Cortech saddlebags that I ran, I had resting on passenger pegs to support them and never took them off the bike. The SW Motech gear in general is pretty good stuff. The saddle bag supports will be a big help with the soft bags.

Have never purchased or used Cortechs.
I have however used for many years Nelson Rigg bags on my CBR1000RR
and on the VTX1800c prior to installing permanent Viking bags hard bags on same VTX.
They’ve been great bags even when used for extended over night trips or the occasional grocery run with their ability to expand when needed.
Plus their customer service is top notch. They even replaced both bags for free when I accidentally ripped a hole in one of them after the warranty period had expired.
Hope this helps.

The saddle bag supports will be a big help with the soft bags.
I keep coming back to considering them for this.

@Rdslvr04 the Nelson Rigg CL-890's appear to be comparable to the others and ~30 less. I hadn't considered them but will.

@Blue Flash I appreciate the detail for your experience w/the cortech's.

Generally speaking. When these style of soft bags are mounted properly do they have any rigidity to them with respect of sway when cinched down to foot pegs?

The cortechs hold their shape when empty, but do need to be tied down to something. Preferably something that keeps them away from the tire.

I've never had issues with the cortechs getting close to the tires. The bags are fairly stiff, and if the top straps are set nice and snug, they don't get into the tire. If in doubt, just pull the top straps an inch more, so that the lower straps are pulling tension on the top straps. I've never had to worry about it. if the top straps are too loose, there would be an issue, but you set them once and forget about it. I've loaded them down and never had an issue. I had the same concern before I got my first set, but they worked great without supports. The top straps just need to be pretty snug.

I ended up picking up the Super 2.0's yesterday. I was up at Bell County Motorworks a few weeks ago and they were nice enough to let me put their display set on my bike to check it out.. I wouldve bought from them but they wouldnt make a deal. The apparel mgr at my ridenow hooked it up w/a 20% discount which made it a no brainer to get them. I couldnt justify paying ~$300 more for the sw motechs. Thanks again for all of the 2c's provided.

They look good. A little adjustment to get them from angling inwards under the bike, but there is only so much you can do without a rack or support arm like the sw's have. I am a little concerned with the stress on the seams from cinching them down, it appears there is a delicate balance from taut to over tightened, so time will tell with regard to if issues arise from that.

Attachments

• 20210621_153248.jpg
    20210621_153248.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20210621_153300.jpg
    20210621_153300.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210621_153313.jpg
    20210621_153313.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 110
Looks pretty good to me! You could cinch the top straps just a little more to get them more vertical, but the smaller straps don't need to be super tight. I keep mine pretty snug, but not so much its too hard to click in the connectors. That has worked fine for me. They look good!

I just saw this post. I hate to bring it up now, but did you happen to consider something from Givi? They have a lot of options. This pair is similar to what I have, but mine are in yellow as someone here on the forums was kind enough to pay them forward.

@notyou83 those are sharp, thanks for the lead! I hadn't considered them previously, but looking at the specs now they're about 2" longer and 4" taller than the cortechs I have mounted. Honestly I dont know if I have that room to give up. I think theyd be better suited for a large adv / touring Super Tenere or KTM Adv. Just curious, but what do you have them on now?

@Blue Flash roger that, I'll do a little more tinkering.

Too late to the party I see...
But for future FYI, I put a set of GIVI semi-hard bags on my BMW R1200R with a tail tidy and signal relocation and these gems look great.
1624391867859.png

1624391929444.png

Looking thru my photos to see if I can find a shot of my bike.

Too big for what you want? Lot smaller than factory bags.
At the time GIVI did not make a mount for the 1200R so I modified a mount from a Honda CB1000R and it made the bags stick out a little, but I just lived with it since the bags worked so well.
22019 B Bend 1.JPG

SAM_0842.JPG

@Yeeha! Stephen Those are sharp, actually the stock image in that photo looks like a F900XR. So they would likely fit perfect, I think I would have to do something with my turn signals though as you alluded to with yours. Currently i have an evotech tail tidy with stock signals which poke out a bit wide. Givi makes a rack for my bike for those saddlebags which is nice to know, that might be the next step. Do they come with keys or have any security?

Last edited:
@notyou83 those are sharp, thanks for the lead! I hadn't considered them previously, but looking at the specs now they're about 2" longer and 4" taller than the cortechs I have mounted. Honestly I dont know if I have that room to give up. I think theyd be better suited for a large adv / touring Super Tenere or KTM Adv. Just curious, but what do you have them on now?

@Blue Flash roger that, I'll do a little more tinkering.
No, I don't have them mounted at the moment. I have my TUSK Hard bags on the bike. When I had my wreck last March, I had the hard bags on and they survived great. Probably protected the bike to be honest. I don't think the soft bags would have survived the wreck since the bike slid for forever on one side.

@Yeeha! Stephen Those are sharp, actually the stock image in that photo looks like a F900XR. So they would likely fit perfect, I think I would have to do something with my turn signals though as you alluded to with yours. Currently i have an evotech tail tidy with stock signals which poke out a bit wide. Givi makes a rack for my bike for those saddlebags which is nice to know, that might be the next step. Do they come with keys or have any security?
They have a lock that keys them to the mount but the lids do not lock.
Just as a preventative I put a small luggage lock thru the two zipper pull eyes hoping to discourage any would-be trespassers.
In the first photo of my BMW you can see where I pulled the two eyes together and put a small lock thru.
SS

BTW... there are two sets of zippers. The bags unzip and expand a couple of inches accordion style. Very helpful when it's warmer than you thought and need to stash a jacket liner on top of your packing.
SS

No, I don't have them mounted at the moment. I have my TUSK Hard bags on the bike. When I had my wreck last March, I had the hard bags on and they survived great. Probably protected the bike to be honest. I don't think the soft bags would have survived the wreck since the bike slid for forever on one side.
That's a valid point that I hadnt considered regarding hard bags potentially protecting the bike to some degree. I'm sorry to hear about your wreck. I thought a fawn was going to zag at me this weekend down near Hamilton Pool, pucker level 10 was achieved.

I really like the Ventura Bike Rack system. You can carry a lot and don't feel it on the bike. It is set up to feel like a small child riding pillion. I have had it on three bikes: Buell X1 Lightning, Triumph Sprint ST 1050, and Triumph Street Triple R.

i used these locking boxes on a trip to N.O. for a music Fest. Parked my bike inside the french quarters, w/ all my contents & electronics secured in those boxes while i spent the weekend bar hopping & listening to all the free music on 10 outdoor stages throughout the quarter and The Marigny.
20181012-131051.jpg

Back