• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SPOT GPS

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Do any of you use the SPOT GPS tracker and if so what options do you recommend?

Seems like I do a lot of riding by myself and my Verizon doesn't work in most of Texas where I ride so if something were to happen there is no way for me to get help. We are also going to Colorado in September and I will doing most of my riding alone, so the same issue applies.

Thoughts?

Tricepilot, this post make my entire year of twtex subscription fees worth it!!!

I am so glad I asked the question to the group, this is exactly what I was looking for.

It appears there are two models, which one did you get and where from?

My SPOT Gen2 was stolen in Cali in April. I just bought a replacement (3, actually) for ~$45 each (two coming from Russia). Having the "contract" shifted (to the one I bought from MO that arrived in two days) took abt 5min on the phone, just needed the EINs of both units . . . no sweat, no hassle, no charge. There are more Gen2's available on eBay right now for the same price, or less.

OR, you can buy a brandy new SPOT Gen 3 right now, from an authorized retailer, and SPOT will kick back 50% if you buy by 7/31 . . . IOW, final price = $75.

Or, based on eBay prices, you can pay ~$350 for a DeLorme.

SPOT does all I need it to do so I didn't even consider a "Norm DeLorme."

Last edited:
Tricepilot, this post make my entire year of twtex subscription fees worth it!!!

I am so glad I asked the question to the group, this is exactly what I was looking for.

It appears there are two models, which one did you get and where from?

I went with the SE (vs the Explorer) because I didn't need the mapping feature that the Explorer version has since I already run a mapping GPS (Garmin Montana) in the application where I'm using the inReach - exploration by moto.

Glad you liked the write-up! :clap:

IIRC I got it from Amazon

Hey, I have the Montana as well. Looks like REI even has these things, funny.

Another cool thing, if you mount the inReach on the bar as I do (on one bike, but not the other), is to be riding along in the middle of nowhere and get a message light indicating you have a satellite text from home. Handy if you're waiting on news from the home front in the middle of nowhere.

I bought it for "emergency" use but the stay in contact feature has been just as useful. :clap:

That is a great story, some tough women out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll pile on

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...froad-dualsport.927215/page-262#post-29792176

The ability to communicate your needs and the ability to know someone received your sos and is responding made my mind up for me.

Holy Crap is that the link of the year!

And your words which I highlighted in blue are true for me as well

Hit 911 on the SPOT and you have no idea what's happening until it happens. I wouldn't use one anymore even if it was free, not with the potential with a life on the line.

Has anybody found a better way to carry one of these of these on your person? Like maybe an elastic sleeve/pocket on your jacket sleeve?
For now I mount it on the bar if riding in a group, in a jacket pocket if riding alone.

Thought I had read of a product for the Spot, haven't been able to find anything for the InReach.

My new Klim Badlands jacket has a special pocket just for these devices, up front on the chest. That is what got me thinking about these in the first place.

... Thought I had read of a product for the Spot, ...

There is; I got one with the eBay Gen-2 that arrived first - wide, adjustable elastic strap with a 'holster" attached. You should be able to "build" one for the DeLorme, either elastic or Velcro, both available at Walmart.

In case anybody missed the news, Garmin purchased DeLorme. (I certainly did.) Going to info.delorme.com page results in the following offerings: Garmin Products, Garmin Maps, Garmin Support & Garmin Discover. At the bottom of the page is an opportunity to download PDF for the inReach, but the only way to get active pages on the product is to go to Garmin and search.

I've been planning a solo ride or two this spring and thought the inReach would be a prudent safety feature. Looks like Garmin has redesigned it and the revised product will not be on the shelf for the next 5-8 weeks. In the meantime, there may be some of the existing DeLorme products going on clearance at different retailers. That brings up lots of questions about continued support and viability of the older DeLorme product. Tiem to do some research.

m

Has anybody found a better way to carry one of these of these on your person? Like maybe an elastic sleeve/pocket on your jacket sleeve?
For now I mount it on the bar if riding in a group, in a jacket pocket if riding alone.

Thought I had read of a product for the Spot, haven't been able to find anything for the InReach.

I have this one for the spot. They MAY make one for the Inreachhttp://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/tracker-packer-spot-gen3/

Last edited:
Anyone know how good the GPS is on the InReach Explorer? I need a GPS and was thinking about the satellite communication, so might as well get them together if the GPS is good for on road and back country.

Anyone know how good the GPS is on the InReach Explorer? I need a GPS and was thinking about the satellite communication, so might as well get them together if the GPS is good for on road and back country.

Basically worthless for navigating. Screen is tiny and it doesn't have worthwhile maps loaded in it. You MIGHT be able to use the ap on your smart phone, I haven't studied that.

For example, I assume I made these tracks. ****** if I know where they are.
9013b9fbd08933a58a4e68c68427a0e4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It does look pretty small - so since you have one, would you get it again or would you get the other one? Also, what is the monthly cost?

I have the basic plan with my inReach it is $16.44 a month, no contract.

FYI, I still use my Garmin Montana for GPS stuff, the screen is larger for me old eyes to see.

Back