• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SPOT Satellite Personal Messenger

I think I have an understanding that the answer is yes, but they have to log into my account as me. Does anyone know if they can just go to a web page and view it without logging on to any accounts?

The answer is still "not yet, but soon". Nobody can get a company rep to fess up as to how soon "soon" is to them, but they are very aware of the need and they say it's still in the works.

If there's one person that you trust to log in AS YOU (including, as I understand, seeing credit card info) they can get the info and/or copy the map image and post it up somewhere publicly on your behalf so that others can see what you're up to.

The answer is still "not yet, but soon". Nobody can get a company rep to fess up as to how soon "soon" is to them, but they are very aware of the need and they say it's still in the works.

If there's one person that you trust to log in AS YOU (including, as I understand, seeing credit card info) they can get the info and/or copy the map image and post it up somewhere publicly on your behalf so that others can see what you're up to.

Just to clarify, no one logging in sees complete credit card info, just billing address, last 4 digits of card, validation number (from the back), and expiration date.

You should certainly be careful who you give login info out to, but noone is going to be able to take the info shown and make purchases.

I guess what I just haven't gotten my head around yet it. Will my family be able to view where I am when I am off on one of my 3 week summer disappear tours. (This year I am heading up to New Foundland).

I think I have an understanding that the answer is yes, but they have to log into my account as me. Does anyone know if they can just go to a web page and view it without logging on to any accounts?

One thing you might do very easily is set up a blogspot.com blog with a "post via email" option. Set the spot's check-in button to email your location to the blog. Anyone who goes to your blog will be able to see where you are whenever you check in.

As a solo female traveler, I can't imagine ever wanting my realtime location information to be on a publicly viewable (ie non-login required) website. I don't even like people to know where I've stayed a night until I'm about to leave.

One thing you might do very easily is set up a blogspot.com blog with a "post via email" option. Set the spot's check-in button to email your location to the blog. Anyone who goes to your blog will be able to see where you are whenever you check in.

As a solo female traveler, I can't imagine ever wanting my realtime location information to be on a publicly viewable (ie non-login required) website. I don't even like people to know where I've stayed a night until I'm about to leave.

What a cool concept. I did not even think of utilizing the SPOT in such a fashion. Thanks for the Idea.

Also a good safety topic for all travelers. Might not be the biggest risk out there, but I can sure see how we can become targets to the less than honest.

What might be useful is a way to designate who gets real time updates (family and friends) via a login. Any unknown "Guests" would get info that is a day or two stale - hopefully not enough to track you down.

No, I just don't like electronic "dog leashes".:lol2:

Yes and I think others don't like the idea either. Eventually there will be extensive data-sharing including search engine searches, GPS tracks (in cell phone devices etc.) across national borders in a very pervasive way.

RB

--

Big Brother gets bigger, says global privacy study

Posted by Elinor Mills to news.com blog

According to a new international privacy report, governments around the world are increasingly invading the privacy of citizens with surveillance, identification systems, and archiving of private data.

Driven by concern over immigration and border control, countries have been quick to implement database, identity, and fingerprinting systems, according to the 2007 International Privacy Ranking report.
Surveillance cameras

There was also an increase in the trend of governments archiving data on the geographic, communications, and financial records of citizens, as well as enacting legislation intended to increase the reach into individuals' private lives, the report found.

"At the same time, technological advances, technology standards, interoperability between information systems, and the globalization of information have placed extraordinary pressure on the few remaining privacy safeguards," the report says. "The effect of these developments has been to create surveillance societies that nurture hostile environments for privacy."

Specifically, governments have implemented or proposed use of fingerprint and iris-scanning biometrics, real-time tracking and monitoring through communications channels, geographic vehicle and mobile phone tracing, national DNA databases, global information-sharing agreements, and the elimination of anonymity in cyberspace.

The lowest-ranking countries in terms of privacy protections continue to be Malaysia, Russia, and China, with Greece, Romania, and Canada ranked highest.

In terms of statutory protections and privacy enforcement, the United States is the worst country in the "democratic world" and is outranked by both India and the Philippines on overall privacy protection. The U.S. has fallen into the "black" category reserved for countries with "endemic surveillance."

In the European Union, the worst-ranked country is the United Kingdom, particularly with regard to surveillance. Specifically, councils in England and Wales continue to spread surveillance policies, including RFID, CCTV, ID and data sharing, and road user tracking, according to the report.

Dosen't have to be used as a "dog leash". You can also turn the power off and only turn it on to tell people where you are when you want to let them know where you are, just like with a cell phone.

I just have a comment to make regarding:

"Yet another button (to be pressed only in emergencies) calls 911, summoning Search and Rescue to my exact location"

I'm a 911 communications supervisor. When I saw this I was like "Oh no..." I had my tech-savvy computer whiz co-worker do some research on just how this works:

According to the website:

ALERT 9-1-1: Use this function In the event of a life threatening or other critical emergency to notify emergency services of your exact location and that you need assistance.

How It Works:

Once activated, SPOT will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message to a GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled. The Emergency Response Center notifies the appropriate emergency responders based on your location and personal information – which may include local police, highway patrol, the Coast Guard, our country’s embassy or consulate, or other emergency response or search and rescue teams – as well as notifying your emergency contact person(s) about the receipt of a distress signal.

Important Note:

Even if SPOT cannot acquire its location from the GPS network it will still attempt to send a distress signal – without exact location – to the Emergency Response Center, which will still notify your contacts of the signal and continue to monitor the network for further messages.

........So, apparently it calls their response center who would call us (on non-emergency)... kind of like Vonage Voice Over IP phones without the Enhanced 911 capability... or kind of like OnStar handles their emergency calls.

Just wanted to make sure folks know exactly how this works and clarify what I guess they're meaning by "calls 911". Because there is no way the device could send a signal directly to the nearest 911 answering point.

Does seem like a great deal considering the price and it's capabilities, especially for people who travel off the beaten path.

Thanks
Tam

Looking at Rich's unit, I really think that the 911 button should have some sort of guard on it to keep from getting pressed accidenatlly while in a pocket or somewhere where an object could push against it.

Looking at Rich's unit, I really think that the 911 button should have some sort of guard on it to keep from getting pressed accidenatlly while in a pocket or somewhere where an object could push against it.

IIRC, the 911 button needs to be pushed in unison with a second button. I don't remember the specifics but I had the same thought.

Well after reading this thread and the threads over on ADV... I got the idea of e-mail the SPoT people. Below is my email and answer! I am starting to fall from the fence I am sitting on.

From: Customer Care Customer Care [mailto:customercare@findmespot.com]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 4:55 PM
To: Duke Dixon
Subject: Re: Tracking Question

Hi Duke,
Our develoepers are currently working on a solution that will allow you to make your messages public without someone having to access your account. We plan to release it later this month.

Regards,
Stephanie

SPOT USA Customer Service
866-OK1-SPOT
www.findmespot.com

>>>
To: <sales@findmespot.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 9:18 PM
Subject: Tracking Question
Hello,

I am very interested in the SPoT, and considering purchasing one in the very near future. I do have a question regarding the tracking feature. I see on your web page that for others to see my progress (track) they must log into my account.

Is there a way where my track can be viewed online without having to ask friends and family to log into my account?

Thanks & Regards,
Duke Dixon

There was also a post yesterday to the LDRider list. The folks at Star-Traxx have gotten the SPOT to work with their system, and are reselling it with full public tracking available now.

Here's the email that went out:

---------------

Ron Mozer to LD

In addition to the original Star-Traxx INMARSAT product we also support the
Spot and have it integrated with Star-Traxx. As an example of what can be
done, I just got back from a trip down through the Baja and used Spot to
send back position reports every 5 minutes to the rally.star-traxx.comserver.

Take a look at the detail it provided:
http://rally.star-traxx.com/rallyview.asp?Rally=79&Rider=51643303

Ron

There was also a post yesterday to the LDRider list. The folks at Star-Traxx have gotten the SPOT to work with their system, and are reselling it with full public tracking available now.

Here's the email that went out:

Very impressive.

SPOT units saved lives over the holidays: (quoted from ADV member and SPOT employee)

SpotMaker said:
SPoT saved 4 lives over the holidays. 3 in one incident and one in another.

Press releases here and here.

:clap

Well, I gave mine it's first good test this weekend. Rode with DFW_Warrior and Calgary-Yogi all over east Texas and into Louisiana and southwest Arkansas. Did just under 1,000 miles, and had 104 SPOT tracking points logged. My wife was able to track where I was the whole weekend. I also sent 4 check-in messages with it when we reached our campsites, which was real handy, because I had no cell service at either campground. I sent a check-in in the evening when we arrived, and another one in the morning before turning on the tracking. I have the account set up to send text messages to my phone and my wife's, along with e-mails.

I'm glad to hear that the SPOT makers have some rescues under their belt. It sure gave me some peace of mind while riding this weekend knowing that if one of us got hurt on a remote dirt road and we couldn't call, then we could at least summon help.

Cool little gadget, about time someone made this.

Over $10/month for service though? Seems a bit much for bouncing the occasional signal for me on the occasional trip.

Then again I think XM is too much for what it is too.

I might have to pick one of these up for my Lap Around America.

Perfect for what you are planning. However, I'm sure your folks wish that you had one where you are now, pressing the "I'm OK" button several times a day... ;-)

I hope to see you on your bike the next time around. Maybe also at DFW again if you don't route to Atlanta or something.
:rider:

We'll probably fly right into LAAF, but I'm sure I'll be in the DFW area a time or four once I move back to TX.

Squeaky asked if I wanted to receive her SPOT messages and I sent her my email so I could get them. I got 5 updates ("I'm OK") yesterday while she was travelling to east Texas.

Here is an example of the message:

Rebecca checking in. All is well.
Unit Number: 0-7347342
Latitude: 31.0615
Longitude: -94.043
Nearest Town from unit Location: Unknown Distance to the nearest town: Unknown Time in GMT the message was sent: 01/26/2008 21:06:40
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=31.0615,-94.043&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

That was an intermediate stop. The link sends you to Google Maps and "pins" the position.

This one is the last one I received and apparently is where they stayed last night (I deliberately waited until this morning to post it so all her fans would not mob her :-P )

Rebecca checking in. All is well.
Unit Number: 0-7347342
Latitude: 31.4091
Longitude: -93.782
Nearest Town from unit Location: Milam, United States Distance to the nearest town: 7 km(s) Time in GMT the message was sent: 01/26/2008 22:47:03
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=31.4091,-93.782&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

I also created the 5 locations as waypoints in Garmin mapsource and was able to get an idea of her route by having it calculate one.

Overall, pretty cool.

This one is the last one I received and apparently is where they stayed last night (I deliberately waited until this morning to post it so all her fans would not mob her :-P )

Well, I was in very good company with the DS guys so there was nothing to worry about. On a solo trip, it'll be a little different.

The first link there was the lunch stop at The Stump.

I had the tracking feature on, which sends back pinpoints every ten minutes - but that's only available by login and, as was previously said, there is no guest login yet so only mom and sis have my info to get that.

In order to send a check-in message like you received, I have to turn tracking off, opt for check-in, then let it sit ~20 minutes to make sure the message gets out (it sends three times with five minute intervals). I used stopping points for it - lunch, gas, campsite/cabin. Then once we were ready to get back on the road, it was done sending and I turned tracking back on. Easy as long as I remembered, which I only slipped up on once.

My sister was very pleased with the results, so this was a good test run for me with the SPOT. :mrgreen:

Ok, the geek results of this weekend's check-in points. I kept it in tracking mode most of the weekend for my mother and sister to "keep and eye on me" as a test for an upcoming solo trip, but at stopping points I sent out a Check-In message for a few people (like Chuck) that wanted to see how we were progressing.

Here are the images of the check-in locations. I can't think of any that it missed, so it was a pretty good test.

Staging area in Moscow at the Post Office on Saturday morning
248766342-M.jpg

Fuel stop just before lunch near the Sam Rayburn Dam
248766373-M.jpg

Departing from lunch at The Stump just down the road
248766412-M.jpg

Arrival at Harborlight
248766434-M.jpg

Departure the following morning
248766455-M.jpg

Fuel & lunch at the gas station in Etoille
248766488-M.jpg