• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spring, TX to Benson, AZ - Follow my journey

You should be hydrating on a near constant basis, not just at every fuel stop. You will find the vast majority of the Iron Butt Rally riders all use a Moto Jug (or similar), or a hydration pack. If you don't have to pee at least at every fuel stop you're not drinking enough. If you feel thirsty, you are already behind the hydration curve.
If you plan on doing more of these kinds of rides you may want to reconsider the above advice. Your headache may also have been brought on by dehydration.

Looking forward to the third video.

If you plan on doing more of these kinds of rides you may want to reconsider the above advice. Your headache may also have been brought on by dehydration.

Looking forward to the third video.
Yeah. I really can't explain it but I was drinking a lot water. I did have to take a leak at every fuel stop. It was hot from Fort Stockton thru to El Paso so it could be that I didn't compensate for that section but before and after that I felt fine. Still drinking plenty of water though.

Yeah. I really can't explain it but I was drinking a lot water. I did have to take a leak at every fuel stop. It was hot from Fort Stockton thru to El Paso so it could be that I didn't compensate for that section but before and after that I felt fine. Still drinking plenty of water though.
:thumb:

I really enjoyed this iron butt ride. Especially in the direction we were headed. I would have liked to spend more time there but I got a really big road trip coming and couldn't use more vacation time but overall I had a really great time doing this.

I really enjoyed this iron butt ride. Especially in the direction we were headed. I would have liked to spend more time there but I got a really big road trip coming and couldn't use more vacation time but overall I had a really great time doing this.
Glad to hear it. I'm guessing that this is the first of several future rides.

One thing that this teaches a lot of people is that the destination isn't a long 2,000 miles away; it's just two days riding away. 16 hours of riding, 6 hours of solid sleep, 16 hours of riding, and you're there.

If you wind up doing a 50 CC at some point you'll find that it's just as easy as the SaddleSore. The problem / opportunity for you living in Texas is that you have to get from Katy to either San Diego or Jacksonville to start. The opportunity part would be that you can tie a BBG into either or both ends of the 50CC ride. Katy to SD is just 40 miles short of 1500 miles so you can detour a little and add those miles on before you stop, or you could ride to Long Beach instead for about 1525 miles.

If you go to Long Beach you have your choice of using I-10 or I-40 to do a 50CC and / or an Interstate End-to-End ride. I am not sure if you can nest a 50CC within an E2E ride or vice-versa so you'd need to check into that first.

Get your paperwork submitted if you haven't already done so and then prepare to wait for 6+ months for the certificate to arrive. It could show up sooner, but don't hold your breath, the IBA is a volunteer organization and folks have lives outside of approving rides. Once you get your certificate, pay the $40 and become a Premier member and you'll find that your rides will get approved a lot faster; usually within a week.

That was great y'all. Major video skills, really enjoyed it.

When I was younger and riding sport bikes and my long distance ride was an FJ1200 I scoffed at the idea of ever needing a bagger. Now that I'm getting on a bit I think a Gold Wing or Indian Challenger or an HD Road Glide would help melt away those first 1000 / 2000 miles out of Houston.

The only thing better would be a bullet train to the mountains with a baggage car for bikes.

Dave.

Huh, I would have figured that you'd have had at least one under your belt by now. Still working up in the Windy City? If so, just commute back home one day; it's the perfect mileage.
The plan for now is try one in late September out to Lubbock returning back they Brownwood and Bertram to get finished with the seven Texas tour of honor stops. That should work out for one. I’ll let you know.

Be careful on those iron butt runs, they can become quite addicting!

Slightly off topic...

<...>I am not sure if you can nest a 50CC within an E2E ride or vice-versa so you'd need to check into that first.<...>
I thought I read over on the IBA forum, the answer is 'no'. Too early in the morning for me to find it and to do the reasoning in my head on why.

E2E rides require tracking, while a 50CC does not.

Slightly off topic...
I thought I read over on the IBA forum, the answer is 'no'. Too early in the morning for me to find it and to do the reasoning in my head on why.
I think it's because you CAN'T do one without doing the other, whereas a BBG nested inside a 50CC is legit because it's not required during the ride. I nested a SS2K inside of mine.

Here is the last and final installment of the Iron Butt Series - Chapter 3 "In Finem". Thanks everyone for tagging along on this journey. It surely was a learning experience and like someone said, they sure are addicting. I'm ready for the next one, which is funny, because before I completed this IBC SS1000, I thought I was pretty good if I didn't do another one....that has proven not to be true, as I'm already planning the second one

Here is the last and final installment of the Iron Butt Series - Chapter 3 "In Finem". Thanks everyone for tagging along on this journey. It surely was a learning experience and like someone said, they sure are addicting. I'm ready for the next one, which is funny, because before I completed this IBC SS1000, I thought I was pretty good if I didn't do another one....that has proven not to be true, as I'm already planning the second one

I enjoyed your ride and your videos. Be sure to post up again when you get your certificate and swag. I know you and the wife ride all over, but if you head out this way again feel free to ask questions; I've not ridden EVERY part of the state, but a good enough portion to give you thoughts and suggestions.

For example, the Horseshoe Cafe in Benson would have been a great choice for breakfast unless you specifically wanted to eat at that place in Tombstone. And it's too bad you had to miss Bisbee; it's a great little historical town.

I really wanted to hit Bisbee but we just left to late from the hotel and the restaurant wasted almost an hour of our time. I guess had we got there earlier the restaurant wouldn’t have been an issue.

Back