• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SS1K through hill country- Should I be trying this on Memorial Day?

Reaction score
I've been playing with the idea of doing an SS1K for a while, and I'm seriously considering making an attempt this Monday (Memorial Day). I'm thinking to leave DFW early, south to hill country / Del Rio, west on 90, then up to I-20 for the slab back. However, this route would have me travelling from Kerrville to Rocksprings along the length of 337 right around lunchtime, and I'm worried that the roads might be clogged with slow-moving vehicles... not sure if there are any big rallies or anything going on. Can anyone more familiar with the area comment on the general state of traffic on a popular riding day such as Memorial Day? I might be forced to rework my route to avoid some of the more "hard-to-pass-on" roads, which would be dissapointing, seeing as how those would be the highlight of the ride...

I would say if you're anywhere near the three-sisters on memorial day you'd be in for a frustrating IBA run. I'm not sure I'd put that in the route on a weekday SS1K ride either.

My suggestion would be to find an alternative route that literally is slab out and back, as in interstate. Riding 16-18 hours is a long day so make it as easy as you can.

Good luck with it and stay on top of the receipts.

As Scott said, make the ride as easy as possible both in terms of routes and delays.
Getting hung up in traffic while doing a timed ride will add to your stress level.
I'd save the twisty stuff for another day when you can appreciate it without the clock ticking.
Good luck.

Have you looked at US83? Good wide road pretty much the whole way. Plenty of passing opportunities if needed. Or divert west to Rocksprings and take 55 south through Campwood. That's one of my all time favorite sections of highway.

I would say if you're anywhere near the three-sisters on memorial day you'd be in for a frustrating IBA run. I'm not sure I'd put that in the route on a weekday SS1K ride either.

My suggestion would be to find an alternative route that literally is slab out and back, as in interstate. Riding 16-18 hours is a long day so make it as easy as you can.

Yeah, I know that doing an off-freeway route is the tougher, lower-percentage way to go about it, but to be honest, I have no interest in riding a thousand miles out-and-back on the freeway. I think I'd rather try a more interesting route and fail then do an all-slab route. Thanks for the advice regarding the 3-3s on Memorial Day, though... I kind of suspected as much, but wanted to double-check. Passing slower vehicles now and again isn't a problem, but if the roads are just clogged with them... :doh:

Close... (the rest of the miles not shown on that map are from Euless to the endpoints).

So... guess I need to modify either the route or the date. I could do it on Sat or Sun, maybe... or maybe I'll just wait for another weekend.

Thanks again for the advice :rider:

I agree.

Good luck, be safe!

IBA# 28224

I think you could do it since your doing this on a Monday. I rode the Colorado Freewheelers 1000/24 a couple years ago and the route had us go over 14 mountain passes during a Saturday. Tons of tourist traffic and road construction. It took me 18 hours to complete it and I stopped for lunch.

Back