• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

State parks are no longer motorcycle friendly

Carl. Sounds like you got it done. Do we need to rename you to "Carl the persistent"?

I guess they could also do it like at Ray Roberts and not worry about it. Or some parks have done manual tags.

I guess this means the policy is going to be changed?

That's for your persistence.

Carl. Sounds like you got it done. Do we need to rename you to "Carl the persistent"?

I guess they could also do it like at Ray Roberts and not worry about it. Or some parks have done manual tags.

I guess this means the policy is going to be changed?

That's for your persistence.

Not sure we should count our chickens before they've hatched. I'll believe this one when I see it. Until then, I'll continue to be a thorn in their side....um, I mean I'll continue to be persistent.

When I went to Uncle's last month four of us rode the State Park for two days.

We were in a truck with 5 bikes on the trailer, only 4 were to be ridden.

I bought an annual pass for $70 that got all the vehicles in and legal. We filed out a form on where we intended to travel in the park with all of the bikes and the owner's info and they printed out permits for the truck, trailer, and all the bikes.

When I went to Uncle's last month four of us rode the State Park for two days.

We were in a truck with 5 bikes on the trailer, only 4 were to be ridden.

I bought an annual pass for $70 that got all the vehicles in and legal. We filed out a form on where we intended to travel in the park with all of the bikes and the owner's info and they printed out permits for the truck, trailer, and all the bikes.

The excess vehicle fee only comes to play when you are camping. They only allow 2 plated vehicles per camp

Last edited:
I taalked to the desk ranger at Isle du Bois when I checked in last week about it. He told me that it depended on the park and the ones that had little space would count every plate when busy. He seemed it would be no problem there. (And hasn't been for me in the past bringing 4 plated vehicles).

How many excess fee did we get hit with at Isle du Bois? Did everyone arriving seperatly influence it?

Sent from Cheyenne Mountain to confuse the NSA

I taalked to the desk ranger at Isle du Bois when I checked in last week about it. He told me that it depended on the park and the ones that had little space would count every plate when busy. He seemed it would be no problem there. (And hasn't been for me in the past bringing 4 plated vehicles).

How many excess fee did we get hit with at Isle du Bois? Did everyone arriving seperatly influence it?

I don't think anyone was assessed the excess fee there. When we were at Big Bend Ranch State Park, there was only one other campsite in use, but yet we were charged excess vehicle fees.

Some parks will cite state policy and say they have to charge this fee while some let it slide.

Last week, I paid 4.00 (2 per night) at IDB for the camp-out. The ranger seemed sympathetic to our plight, but as a state bureaucrat she dutifully fulfilled her role and took my money.

Last week, I paid 4.00 (2 per night) at IDB for the camp-out. The ranger seemed sympathetic to our plight, but as a state bureaucrat she dutifully fulfilled her role and took my money.

Perhaps she just did not like you :-). But on the other hand, at most other parks it's $5 extra per night. I guess it depends on the park and the mood of the ranger when you check in.

If the money stays in the parks(s) I'm okay with the 4.00.

I too support our parks. I just want the fun to be spread around. If a 33' motorhome towing a car pays less than three motorcyclist sharing a spot, the fee structure is flawed. If the park needs more money, just raise the fees for all.

Our argument with the excess vehicle fee is that it no longer addresses the issue of limited space at a camp site. Not all vehicles or campsites are created equal.

I talked with the older male ranger. Maybe he liked me?

BTW. I agree with Bob. Does that mean I need help?

Bob & Tango... Ditto on the structure. This seems to be a problem for the state as a whole.
Now, all trailers, regardless of weight up to 6500 pounds pay the same plate fee. My little kayak trailer now has the same registration as a neighbors 6000 pound horse trailer :giveup:. Odd since they used to use vehicle weight to determine pricing. I guess the math is too hard for them.

On a Side, a couple of years ago, myself and two other riders camped at McKinney falls in Austin and they let all three bikes in on my park pass. No additional fees. This ranger said they will let up to four (if memory serves me) bikes in on one pass since cars can have as many people as they can haul. I am sure this has since changed. I know the Unit Managers can influence what is done at the gate.

BTW. I agree with Bob. Does that mean I need help?

No. It simply means your life is going to take a turn. Next you will get a Ural. I guess we missed you and Greeneyes @ IDB.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Bob,
I have camp at several of the State Parks. Some charge different rates for camping and entrance fees. I seems like popular ones charge the most. It's what the market rate or camp ground supply and demand. Yep, we can charge more. Small state parks charge less.
US Forest service Camp Grounds cost less some are free. Camping in the forest always a no charge, belongs to every one. Let's figure it out find, let's camp. IF, camp away from State Parks more freedom not whole rules, may lose Safety of State Park, Found out... Law Enforcement to Serve and Protect.

May 1st update from Kevin Good (Assistant to the Director of Parks)...

The auditors are giving the new process a final review with a Monday deadline. Barring some last minute objections, I think we should have changes adopted next week.
Kevin

The Monday Kevin is referring to is Monday, May 5, 2014. ...almost there...almost there...

A summary of the "new process", in Kevin's words, can be found at the end of this post.

I am pleasantly surprised that this has turned out like it has. TWT, not just a place for two wheeled enthusiasts, but lobbyists to!

Well done, very well done.

:rider: way to go all!

Bob, should the title be updated?

Back