• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

State parks are no longer motorcycle friendly

Speaking of... When is the next campout? I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again.
I am thinking of a dfw to copper breaks SP trip in the next few weeks. A good 200 miler on back roads from north of the metro-mess.

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.twowheelsandatankfullofgas.blogspot.com

Well, you have two this month.

One weekend of 17th in Llano, the city park.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94914

and the other at Tyler State Park, last weekend in May.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94792

Bob, should the title be updated?

Lets wait until the next campout and see if this new method is applied at the parks.

Good call Bob. I asked how the auditor's review went and this is the reply I received...

Hi Carl,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It seems our agency auditors have some concerns about the methods that would be used to do this, so state parks staff is working on some additional steps to address their issues.
Kevin

...we've still got a ways to go...

I stayed at Blanco State Park last week. They were happy to charge me $6 extra per day because I had a motorcycle in the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sucks... maybe forward that on with receipts to our contact to show the inconsistency?

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

For those playing along at home, I received an update from TPWD this morning regarding our request to amend the Excess Vehicle Fees to be more equitable to all vehicles. I haven't been given an explanation yet as to what the actual changes might be.

The TPWD representive that provided the update is Kevin Good. He is the assistant to the State Parks Director, Brent Leisure.
[FONT=&quot]Hi Carl,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I believe we have FINALLY cleared all hurdles and will have a system blessed this week, with changes “on the ground” soon after.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kevin
[/FONT]

For those playing along at home, I received an update from TPWD this morning regarding our request to amend the Excess Vehicle Fees to be more equitable to all vehicles. I haven't been given an explanation yet as to what the actual changes might be.

The TPWD representive that provided the update is Kevin Good. He is the assistant to the State Parks Director, Brent Leisure.
[FONT=&quot]Hi Carl,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I believe we have FINALLY cleared all hurdles and will have a system blessed this week, with changes “on the ground” soon after.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kevin
[/FONT]

I await with a worm on my tongue.

Earlier in the week I asked for any details that could be shared regarding the wording that would be used if/when the new Excess Parking Fee rules are implemented. This is the reply from the assistant to the State Parks Director...

From the customer standpoint, you won’t see much change. You will get a camping permit as usual, but it will have a handwritten date and license plate number.

[FONT=&quot]Once the final approval is given to implement this, it is communicated to all staff via an email, as well as verbal communication from office managers to frontline clerks. The steps they have to take are also posted on our internal network so staff can refer to them in the future.[/FONT]
Today I received this email from the same TPWD representative (Assistant to the State Parks Director, Kevin Good)...

Success! (finally) The new process is in place, so more than 2 bikes can now be parked in a campsite without extra fees. Staff have been notified of this change, and we will have appropriate verbiage on the public website pages soon.

Kevin Good
Special Assistant to the Director
State Parks Division
512-389-4415
kevin.good@tpwd.state.tx.us

Outstanding!!! Carl, you have done what most think is impossible, requested and got a needed change by going through the channels. At least, I sure didn't think you would be this successful. Congratulations for charging that windmill of bureaucrats and succeeding.

Today I received this email from the same TPWD representative (Assistant to the State Parks Director, Kevin Good)...

Quote:
Success! (finally) The new process is in place, so more than 2 bikes can now be parked in a campsite without extra fees. Staff have been notified of this change, and we will have appropriate verbiage on the public website pages soon.

Kevin Good
State Parks Division
512-389-4415

Earlier in the week I asked for any details that could be shared regarding the wording that would be used if/when the new Excess Parking Fee rules are implemented. This is the reply from the assistant to the State Parks Director...

Never mind. i'll wait for web site to update.

And another word of thanks Carl. Speaking of parks, with this cooler weather, why aren't we camping this weekend?

I caged it to Lake Whitney State Park this past Sunday.
Rangers there were friendly.

Told them I was looking to go motorcycle tent camping there and was down looking the place over. The ranger pulled out a map and started pointing at all the places I could camp. Ask how close to my bike I could get the tent, was told just park on the designated area and then you can put your tent within two inches of the ground as close as I wanted to. There are no designated tent pads.

Carl doth :dude: out loud. Thank you for being the change!

From the customer standpoint, you won’t see much change. You will get a camping permit as usual, but it will have a handwritten date and license plate number.

[FONT=&quot]Once the final approval is given to implement this, it is communicated to all staff via an email, as well as verbal communication from office managers to frontline clerks. The steps they have to take are also posted on our internal network so staff can refer to them in the future.[/FONT]
Today (August 1, 2014) I received this email from the same TPWD representative (Assistant to the State Parks Director, Kevin Good)...

Kevin Good
State Parks Division
512-389-4415

I have good news to report from a first-hand camping experience over the weekend. A few of us moto-camped at Cleburne SP the night before kickstand~prophet's M&G. The campsite I was at had five motorbike's, three tents, one hammock, and one guy essentially sleeping on the ground. All five bikes easily fit within the confines of our campsite's parking pad. None of us were charged the excess vehicle fee.

I hope this treatment of moto-campers continues at all State Parks.

Attachments

• 20140913016_-640x640.jpg
    20140913016_-640x640.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 20140913052-640x640.jpg
    20140913052-640x640.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 198
I have good news to report from a first-hand camping experience over the weekend. A few of us moto-camped at Cleburne SP the night before kickstand~prophet's M&G. The campsite I was at had five motorbike's, three tents, one hammock, and one guy essentially sleeping on the ground. All five bikes easily fit within the confines of our campsite's parking pad. None of us were charged the excess vehicle fee.

I hope this treatment of moto-campers continues at all State Parks.

Thank you Carl for straightening them out. Yes we had plenty of campers and zero problems. No350 is our ground camper,even during the winter one at my place he was grounded in just the sleeping system. The Cleburne sites seem to be all different sizes ground wise. The one Rostov and I were in had only enough good space for two maybe three tents. We could have gotten by with two sites if they were all the same size. Had 4 and we had plenty of space. Good clean rest rooms and shower facilities and close by. Thank you DFWTom for making the suggestion. Great weather great people great times. KP

Does anyone know if State allow people to go into state park camp site after dark?

I won't be arriving at the park until after 10:00pm (worst case is midnight). Can I just find an empty slot and pitch tent, and pay for it the next morning?

I just want a safe place to crash for one night. I have quiet pipes, very stealthy...so won't wake anyone up.

Or is this frowned upon?

Back