• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stebel Airhorn fails inspection?

I had a spare Stebel and mounted it beside my stock Xterra horn. The wire switched right over. It didn't pass either, said it had to be stock. I just switched it back.

I had a spare Stebel and mounted it beside my stock Xterra horn. The wire switched right over. It didn't pass either, said it had to be stock. I just switched it back.
Except there's nothing I can find saying it has to be a stock horn. It's a completely subjective item on the list so each inspection station can just say "eh it's too loud" or "eh, it's good enough".

I don't think I had the Wolo (pretty similar to a Stebel) on my '05 VStrom long enough to go through an inspection. Not too long after I bought my '12 Wee, I mounted an old fashioned car horn - the kind you'd hear on a full sized American car - on the left engine guard. It was really loud, but it sounded like a conventional horn. The first time I took it through inspection, the inspector was standing right at the front of the bike & asked me to honk my horn. I gave it a light tap & she jumped about 3 feet. But it passed with no questions. The next year, I asked her to stand on the other side of the bike.

I've moved the same stebel from my ST-1300 to my Trophy SE and no inspector ever said anything about them.

Farty noises is a sound description of my issue. :-) I suspected a loose connection, maybe even a horn button problem but figured for just ~40 bux, having a new horn on hand before popping the tupperware was reasonable.

Valker, a specfic air tool oil?
The new horn arrived last weekend so off came the fairing. Existing horn installed by others was mounted on something @5x the thickness of duct strap so it vibrated causing both blade connections to loosen and one completely off it's post but with intermittent contact, hence the farty noises šŸ˜† . I just crimped the blades and reattached; I'll deal with the poor mount when it warms up a bit and now I have a spare horn.

My bike has been inspected twice by the same lady. 1st time she jumped and got wide eyed but the 2nd time she remember me; no silly comment about it being too loud.

Thanks Valker.

There DOES seem to be a large time gap here, but for what itā€™s worth, Texasā€™ horn-about law says that the only permissible time to sound your horn is to avoid a collision.

Get people off their cell phones and I might be able to abide by that.

I've written one ticket for "Improper Use of Horn" during my career. I used to sit in a particular spot the middle median of a 6 lane roadway when I worked nights to run radar or door up with a friend. Almost every night around the same time a car would drive by and honk at us. After a week of it my buddy and I got curious enough so we decided to pull the car over and ask why.

I make the stop and from the get go the guy was acting weird and denying that he honked his horn. I get his license and walk back to my car to run his info. It's night time and he doesn't realize my buddy is standing on the passenger side B-pillar watching him while I'm back in my Crown Vic. I look up from my computer and see my buddy is unholstered and ordering the guy to quit moving so I run over and handcuff the guy.

Turns out he was digging around in his car and had grabbed a box cutter. Again, he'd been acting weird during our entire contact. The guy said he was headed to work at a grocery store and the boxcutter was a tool he uses for work. His story did check out but I ended up writing him a ticket for honking his horn at us.

Under the Transportation Code 547.501

A motor vehicle operator shall use a horn to provide audible warning only when necessary to insure safe operation.

You guys got me to do a bit of investigating. I've always wanted a louder horn on the bikes. Seems I can get Stebel/other for about $30 to $50! I just have to figure out where to mount on the FJR1300 and GSXS.

On my 1st Vstrom, I mounted it inside the fairing. On my newer one, I took an easier route & simply fastened it to the engine guard with a home-made metal bracket.

You guys got me to do a bit of investigating. I've always wanted a louder horn on the bikes. Seems I can get Stebel/other for about $30 to $50! I just have to figure out where to mount on the FJR1300 and GSXS.
When I had my 1300 I was able to get it under the fairing but I forget what side.

Blue, do you want pictures and dimensions or just save the excitement until yours arrives?

Here's where I bought mine. Not so good on email/tracking notification but I went no cost shipping and it arrived as indicated during the purchase.

Got my new horn yesterday!! Doesn't look like getting it to fit the Suzuki will work but the FJR1300 has more room. I'm going love this thing!

Back