• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stolen KLR 650 found! Beaten but not broken!

Reaction score
My bike was stolen near the UTSA Campus on christmas eve. It was my first bike and I put a lot of work into it.

All this month ive been itching to ride, itching to take off on the weekend and looking for a new bike as well as my bike on online marketplaces.

Well low and behold today I got a call that it was recovered! In Adkins Texas, the guy who had it at the time apparently had a couple warrants for stolen items. How he got my bike I have no clue, maybe he drives around the college looking? Maybe it was someone else.

Nevertheless after paying to get it out of the impound (Yay paying for my stolen item!) I got her to my new Apartment.

It seems like someone was on a mission to change this bike. I dont think the plan was to part it as everything is basically sanded down, the plastics (also some partially colored silver) my take has a gnarley scratch :( (gonna have to sand the whole thing) the rear rack is gone, the key ignition is gone, a side panel is missing, the seat was gone (apparently he was using a homemade old seat as he took it off and on i believe to hotwire it) all the screws holding the plastics are mismatched (that urked me) battery is dead, windshield is gone and my brand new recently payed off SWMotech crash bars are completely sanded of their glossy finish :(.

Oh well, i have the opportunity to get back on a bike and a new project ahead. Shes just gonna take a bit of time to get back there.

If anyone has spare KLR parts id be up to make an offer for them.... (or take them off your hands;) )

Anyways im back to the forum and im sure this passion will be reignited!

Very glad you got it back but sorry you had to go through that (and its condition). What year is the bike?

Let me dig and see what I have but happy to pass them along.

I'm so glad you got your bike back! That's great news. I am sorry its been touched by a crackhead. Least its back home with you and you can start to heal it :thumb:

I'm so glad you got your bike back! That's great news. I am sorry its been touched by a crackhead. Least its back home with you and you can start to heal it :thumb:
ME TOO! Ya I tried racing back to the scene of the crime to beat the tow truck. Man was it a dump, the whole street had junk all over the yards

thanks for letting us know you got your baby back. shame she got so mistreated.

you'll get her back in shape pronto, i bet.

I got some soft bags and some outhers if you want pm me if so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a new (OEM) KLR seat for my 2011. I am pretty confident it will fit your 2000. Just let me know and I can run it over to you this weekend.

Can they ask the perp where your seat and other parts are? You still own them.

Alright, so everything I have should fit. The plastics are aged but there.

Stock seat that needs to be recovered
Windscreen fair condition
Side piece below seat.
Fuel tank cowls - the inside tabs are gone so you may have to get creative.
Factory skid plate - can't tell if you need one or not but your welcome to it.

I may have more but I know those are up in the attic.

Any chance you are going to be up in DFW any time soon?

Alright, so everything I have should fit. The plastics are aged but there.

Stock seat that needs to be recovered
Windscreen fair condition
Side piece below seat.
Fuel tank cowls - the inside tabs are gone so you may have to get creative.
Factory skid plate - can't tell if you need one or not but your welcome to it.

I may have more but I know those are up in the attic.

Any chance you are going to be up in DFW any time soon?
so i have both side cowls, (FYI the 3dparts for them to fix the broken tabs are great)
really the windscreen and side piece below seat will be the hardest parts to get a hold of. And @Baja_Bound says he has a seat that should work, im gonna meet him sometime soon. When will I be up to DFW? No idea, never been but if i get everything fixed up maybe ill make a trip up there soon to see what its all about.... Did yall ever learn who shot JR?

Was called by a detective today asking if i wanted to press charges. Hopefully some form of restitution will take place.
I hope you said yes.
Yes it does require you to write a statement and likely following through with court date showing. But its the way that something gets done to have a chance to convict a suspect.

Was called by a detective today asking if i wanted to press charges. Hopefully some form of restitution will take place.

I hope you do so.

When you talk to the detective again, make sure you outline the parts that are missing from your KLR and a rough cost to replace them if you bought the items on the open market. The detective may accept something as simple as an emailed list or you may have to fill it out on a witness statement form. It needs to be an itemized list, not just 'KLR parts - $1000'. If you list the items, you may get lucky and the suspect remember where they are at so they can be returned to you. If not, that is where restitution comes into play. I don't have a lot of dealings with the restitution side of things, but I will say when it comes to restitution you can not get blood from a stone BUT ask for it anyway. The judge can order restitution as part of the judgment, which means the suspect HAS to pay it back within the time frame the judge orders.

lets see, for a while I was hand sanding the tank and as it was quite the workout my progress slowed down. Then I realized I shouldve been using the orbital sander I own. Tried it today and can see myself finishing up the tank soon. Wanted to clear coat it, bare steel (tried getting it sand blasted and clear powdercoated professionally but the guy never messaged me back). Will probably end up painting it, just not sure what color to use.

Got a seat from @Baja_Bound ! Hes a great guy and this is the second time hes helped me (originally with doohickey tools)..... P.S. hes got some rad bikes

The used wire harness I ordered has been installed as well as the ignition assembly (that was a task as I had to drill out the security screws that hold it in place) but its installed and working (aside from a crappy fuse near the battery, need to look into that). As well as a new LED headlight I ordered since some of the original assembly was missing.

Need to order a left side panel soon for sure. Also possibly a windscreen and rear rack (definitely a rear rack, trying to possibly find a really good aftermarket one)

Actually pieced it together the other night to take it for a short spin. It works! didnt take it very far, fuel was low so went to a gas station to add a gallon. Made a Uey and the back and slipped around. Realized i had a flat and it had come off the bead. Filled up with air and got back home.
ordered a tube and got it today (as well as brake pads and new rear rotor, figured why not). Man did I underestimate how hard it is to get a tire off...... especially with the wrong tools..... wrenches arent tire spoons? Back tire is showing wear so i figured ill just order another one. Also ordered the front boots (needed to be replaced before it was stolen) so will replace those soon, want to add the tusk over sized brake but im holding off for now.

Really want to get it all back together by the end of the month or at least first week of march.

So thats that, its coming along!

P.S. you said you have a side piece.... the left side?

I hope you do so.

When you talk to the detective again, make sure you outline the parts that are missing from your KLR and a rough cost to replace them if you bought the items on the open market. The detective may accept something as simple as an emailed list or you may have to fill it out on a witness statement form. It needs to be an itemized list, not just 'KLR parts - $1000'. If you list the items, you may get lucky and the suspect remember where they are at so they can be returned to you. If not, that is where restitution comes into play. I don't have a lot of dealings with the restitution side of things, but I will say when it comes to restitution you can not get blood from a stone BUT ask for it anyway. The judge can order restitution as part of the judgment, which means the suspect HAS to pay it back within the time frame the judge orders.
sounds good, havent heard back yet. submitted the paperwork so ill keep yall updated. Im keeping tabs on everything right now

Let me check again. I went up and found my seat and a windscreen but forgot to dig for that side piece. I can ship you whatever I find so I'll let you what I come up with.

Back