• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stories from Occupied New Mexico

We always refer to Bob as 'Waldo, the Official Trails Inspector.' :) We all had some good $1 tacos this evening!

It has been unusually hot the last few days, the sun quite intense. Seemed to be the topic of casual chat today where ever I went.

HOWEVER! There is word of a strong cold front coming in this weekend. Might have to put some homemade chili on the grill. Get out the hiking boots and go find me some trails! Go for a long ride. Out west.....

"You've got a long way, I know
You've got a longer drive ahead
Through the bones of the buffalo
Through the claims of the western dead, and––
Just like the spokes of a wheel
You'll spin 'round with the rest
You'll hear the drums and the brush of steel
You'll hear the call of the west,
call of the west."

'Call of the West', by Wall of Voodoo
(great song)

Read more: WALL OF VOODOO - CALL OF THE WEST LYRICS

:tab I had a fun ride with Bob last March in the ranch. I think he knows every road, path and creek in the area. He always new exactly where we were, explained where every road we could see went, and he did not use a GPS. He racked up some serious miles on his little Kawasaki last winter!!

I agree about Bob's knowledge of the area. There are a few roads out there he has not been on and we intend to run them out on our 250s. By the way, He traded that one in a month or two ago on a same year model one with almost no miles. It has a touch over 6,000 on it now. The guy rides a bit more than anyone else I know.:thumb:

When you are an 'official trails inspector', you are going to rack up a lot of miles.:trust:

Wall of Voodoo,....I remember them from the "Mexican Radio" song,......"go to Tijuana and have barbecued Iguana....":eat:

I wish I was in Tijuana, having barbecued iguana.... :)

I've had a Wall of Voodoo pin on my speakers since sometime in the early 80s.

Terlingua question - who has the best cell service down there? I have AT&T on the phone & a Verizon MiFi card.

Terlingua question - who has the best cell service down there? I have AT&T on the phone & a Verizon MiFi card.
That is a question I cannot completely answer. However, AT&T service here is less reliable here than Verizon. Also, too many people with AT&T report getting International Call charges when calling from this area because All Talk & Trash did not renew their lease for the only tower in this area, whereas Verizon has the sole lease now. ATT has even dropped customers here after they discover they have moved here.

So, the best bet is Verizon, but still with incomplete coverage, which is the nature of the area here.

For some nostalgia - the first Big Bend map, circa 1950's- follow this link.

Also, during research for map/coordinates for a trail that has been removed from the maps (>1985), I found the following oral story from a woman that grew up in La Coyota:

"Memories of La Coyota

During the first decades of the Twentieth Century, La Coyota was a small farming community along the banks of the Rio Grande, just a few miles northwest of Castolon and within the future boundaries of Big Bend National Park. Today, all that remains of the settlement are a few crumbling ruins and the memories of those who once lived there. Through its Oral History Project, Big Bend National Park is trying to preserve as many of the memories as possible.

In January 2000, park volunteer Doug Hay interviewed Mrs. German (Ramirez) Rivera, a former La Coyota resident, and she provided an intriguing story. Mrs. Rivera believes the community was named by its first settlers after a man shot a coyote that was attempting to break into a hen house.

Mrs. Rivera remembers that there was usually running water along Alamo Creek (now a dry wash), which made subsistence farming possible. The families dug ditches to bring surface water runoff into the fields. They raised corn, wheat and many vegetables, as well as hogs and chickens for their own consumption, selling surpluses and tamales to the miners in Terlingua. The road to Terlingua went alongside the creek in those days.

Houses in La Coyota had wood stoves for cooking. There were no glass windows or screens. The houses did have doors, however, which usually were shut in fear of bandits from Mexico. Mrs. Rivera remembers bandits robbing a store in Study Butte, and pursuit by a posse formed at the Chisos Mine by manager Robert Cartledge.

Mrs. Rivera remembers that weddings were festive, but rare. Women in La Coyota married late, usually in their thirties, because travel was infrequent and they rarely met anyone other than their cousins and uncles. The only church was in Terlingua, and older women led the religious services, saying novenas to the various saints.

As the youngest girl at La Coyota, Mrs. Rivera bore a portrait of San Isidro, the patron saint of farmers, in a procession on the saint’s feast day, during which the people prayed for rain. Sometimes this worked too well, she said, and they would be drenched by downpours and cut off from home by runoff in the dry washes. When it did not rain, San Isidro’s portrait would be hung on a post outside and remain there until it did.

Mrs. Rivera spent part of her youth living with friends in the mining communities at Terlingua and Study Butte, where she went to school for three years. Her last year in school was grade four, when she was twelve years old, in the Castolon compound. Most of the nine pupils at Castolon at that time were age seventeen or older. They did not know much English, and since the teacher did not speak Spanish, Mrs. Rivera became his interpreter. Boys and girls sat on separate benches and played apart at recess. The school was sparsely furnished, with a wood stove, dirt floor, three handmade benches, a table and blackboard. Students had to buy their own pencils and pens at the store and be careful not to waste too much paper. Schoolbooks were secondhand, circulating from Alpine to Terlingua and then to Castolon."

A Busy Day in Occupied New Mexico

DSC01096-M.jpg

No Country for Timid People​

Started the trepid warrior and waded through the throngs of Chili Cook-off Heads to feed the steed. Then headed south with no particular place to go. Except the Park.

Perhaps a few miles in, enjoying the mild day, and there is a large white bus stranded and blocking one lane of the road, uphill, and on a curve. 'Well, that doesn't look safe,' I thought. At least several orange cones were placed on the double yellow lines before and behind the bus. 'Wave to the guy with the cowboy hat on and leaning against the bus', so I did.

Then comes a park ranger with his emergency lights on. Slow down and pull over. Pick up speed, and, what? Here comes an orange wrecker with another park ranger behind, also with emergency lights on. Slow down and pull over.

This got to be the progress of the ride to Green Gulch Rd. that climbs up into the Basin: Park rangers, Border Patrols, ambulance?, what? US Customs? All with emergency lights and sirens. They all waved to the rider in the bright lemon yellow jacket and the white fish bowl with a beak on her head, except the ambulance driver. He was going way too danged fast.

Hmm..... I wonder what's up. I sure am getting tired of pulling over and starting all over again.

Turned onto the road leading up to the Basin and was reminded why it is called 'Green Gulch Road.' I haven't ever seen it this green. Hey, wait; isn't that a V-strom coming down? It is, and a BMW behind; I bet it is the Ford Brothers from Indiana! Knowing they spent the night at Rio Grande Village campground, I bet they went up to the Basin for an early lunch. (Learned later that it was them, and they had the same thoughts in mind I had.)

Made it up to the Basin Lodge with visions of cobbler dancing in my head. While waiting for a waiter, I spot Janet and Susan at a table. Well, I'll be..... So I joined them and had a plate of delicious rabbit food, eating like a starved rabbit (salad greens are hard to come by in this desert) before trying to eat a club sandwich. Except that I filled up on the salad. So in a box it went.

DSC01084-M.jpg

After J&S left, I sat outside on the patio for awhile. Then toddled down to the Basin Visitor's Center, where I renewed my annual interagency pass (gone up to $80!!) and chatted with the ranger there. In response to my inquiry, I was told that a BP agent had suffered an injury, not in the line of duty per se, and was in a very inaccessible location in the park. Which accounted for all the emergency vehicles. Gee, I hope he's okay.

DSC01081-M.jpg

Back up to the patio and had a coffee, bowl of cobbler with cinnamon ice cream, and continued reading about General Carelton becoming obsessed with a round grove of cottonwoods next to a river in which ran water so alkaline, it was undrinkable. And to which 13,000 Navajo would be forced to march from their home lands hundreds of miles away and where thousands would perish from malnutrition, disease and homesickness. Kit, I really wonder if you were a bit too loyal to those blue coats that sent you orders you couldn't even read, to send thousands of people to the first concentration camp on US soil.

Then I noticed it was getting cold and dark. Hmm.... Well, I'll be; it's raining! I decided it was time to get on the pony and find some sunshine.

Seems the DR caught some attention while I was attending to my palate and curiosity. "Trade you that bike for a minivan?" Uh, no thanks. "Wanna race? my golf cart against yours?" Sure; I'll win. "Not if I cut your gas hose." True.

Enough of this. Got on and slowly farted (DR's carb needs cleaning) down to the turn-off for the Basin campground. Cruised the speed limit, but the DR farted and backfired so much, I'm sure we were disturbing the peace. Abort curiosity and head down the mountain.

Took the hairpin turns very conservatively because I know that people in their vehicles ignore the bright yellow double lines. I waved several drivers over to their own side of the road several times, growling in my helmet, they smiling and waving. Sheesh.......

Past the trail head for Lost Mine Trail, and tired of listening to the farting of the muffler, I shut it off and coasted most of the way down, smiling like a happy retard. The closest thing to flying I can think of (except for flying).

DSC01090-M.jpg

Stopped at a pull out to insert plugs into my ears. By then, the rain on top and in the Basin was done, but clouds still hung around making for some dramatic shadows on the mountains and desert floor.

DSC01087-M.jpg

DSC01088-M.jpg

There were some patches of sun filtering down to illuminate the green of the mountains and the transitional land of the sky island of the Chisos Mountains.

DSC01093-M.jpg

DSC01095-M.jpg

Looking north, the lower desert floor seemed to be blessed with wide open sunshine, so I headed for a nice spot to sit and watch the shadow/light plays.

Sotol Vista

DSC01099-M.jpg

DSC01104-M.jpg

Looking south, one can see hills and valleys that undulate with green specks, a flat top mesa - Kit Mountain, and the top gash of Santa Helena that separates two nations, two mesas and, whose faults are these, anyway?

The distance south was hazy and heavy with moist air; the north clear as a bell with the sun now approaching its western azimuth lighting up the sides of the Chisos Mnts as if the desert were a stage and they were the main act.

DSC01115-M.jpg

DSC01114-L.jpg

It was quiet, and peaceful. All things must past, but they don't have to end. Because having that experience becomes a part of one's self, and it lives on inside. And continues on, never ending, with or without us. We're only guests and visitors, and these formations, this land, will outlive us all.

DSC01116-M.jpg

Geared up, plugs back in the ears, and rode out of the park. Saw a giant wave of dust coming from Old Maverick Rd, which just reopened. Again. After two storms within two weeks, many sections of the Park roads had washed out. I noticed that a plow from Alpine had driven down to plow sand and gravel from some of the paved roads. Access to Santa Helena had been blocked for quite awhile while they repaired road sections and access trails. Old Maverick was not on top of the priority list, but it was re-opened on Halloween day.

Sure enough, I found out that Janet and Susan were probably the dust bunnies and beat me to the park exit by 2-3 minutes. After a quick stop at the Coyote Turtle, I rode up to the Porch at the Terlingua Trading Post to see the parking lot packed with regulars and visiting Chili Heads. I found a spot off to the side and slid my hat on top of my helmet hair. Except for the black motorcycle boots, no one would know. And I certainly didn't fit in with the other women wearing tiny skirts/dresses/short and cowboy boots. But then I always seem to be a misfit anyway, and frankly prefer it that way. At least no one asked me if I was here for the Chili Cook-off (next year, I will avoid town like the plague).

Who should I see waving at me, but Roger Dodger! I missed that man. Town is not the same without him and it is good to see him back! He's now Golf Man, a reigning champion that hits those white balls into their little holes like a prairie dog on fire.

Met John and Mark Ford in the Starlight for chat an dinner, wished them a safe ride home, and rode the farty bike into the dark night dotted with the occasional flashing red and blues pulling over suspicious drunks alongside the road.

Janet and Susan stopped in to visit and we chatted awhile before we all decided it was time for stars, coyote yips and dreamless sleep. A busy day indeeedy.
Sleepy time comes easy out here.
:yawn:

(Learned the next day the the Border Patrol agent was stationed at the Park and had a stroke while on duty, but not very accessible. Only in his forties, he was, and a nice guy that told me several weeks ago that Castalon was his favorite part of the Park. We all send condolences to his family.)

I captured a shot of the rainstorm over the Chisos that day from down on the flats. It was an interesting isolated shower.

IMG_3835.jpg

Along my way I met an interesting dude retired from show business.

IMG_3834.jpg

Thing is alive and well in his Terlingua retirement. He seems to have lost weight from good desert living.

I captured a shot of the rainstorm over the Chisos that day from down on the flats. It was an interesting isolated shower.

IMG_3835.jpg

Along my way I met an interesting dude retired from show business.

IMG_3834.jpg

Thing is alive and well in his Terlingua retirement. He seems to have lost weight from good desert living.

Both great shots!

At first I thought that was one of the retired ZZ-Top members :lol2:

Elzi, did the BP agent survive the stroke?

Retirement Ride to Blue Creek Canyon

DSC00850-M.jpg

Part Three of my Retirement Ride was a combination ride plus hike. Of course. The most enjoyment of retirement life thus far is having time to take time; experience all the small and varied nuances of life. I would much rather be poor and live a simple life than be a slave to a paycheck, stuff and all the trapping that come with it.

With hiking boots and hat packed in one side bag, camera in the other, and a water bottle in the tail bag, the New Boyfriend (DR350) and I rode down Maxwell's Silver Hammer Road to the pull-off for the Homer Wilson line camp and Blue Creek Trail.

Although I had been once before, this time I wanted to examine some details of the thick rock-walled building. Of course, as usual, I was side-tracked before I got there. Chatted with an overweight and sweaty couple coming back up the steep trail about the Wilson place. Either the Park display does not reflect accurate history of the camp or they didn't read it thoroughly. I explained that the Wilson's did not live there; it was not their home, but that the rock building was a line camp for working the sheep: sheering, dips, sorting, etc. Their home was instead a Sears & Roebuck structure hauled in by mule wagons and erected further north and closer to the base of the Chisos Mnts.

I recommended the book, 'Under the Window', written by the daughter of Homer Wilson. I suggest this book to anyone interested in the real history of Big Bend National Park and what life was like for the hundreds of people that called that land their home. Little did I know I would be running into the same couple several times that day.

Then there was a lizard in the trail. Sloooowly, carefully, I squatted and slooowly carefully pulled the fanny camera pack to my front. Sloooowly, carefully pulled the skinny little camera from the pocket and quietly uncapped the lens. Then sloooowly, carefully put the camera to my head and tried to move said head closer to said lizard without scaring the ever loving tail off him. I was somewhat successful, but there is also a thin line where the giant eyeball attached to the gigantic squatting thing gets too close and those things run like lightening.

DSC00847-S.jpg

It was a juvenile earless lizard that blended in so well with the sharp black rock that I was surprised I saw it in the first place. Apparently this is his favorite place to hang out because hours later, there he was again as I huffed back up the trail. "Blend in, blend in"!!

I made my way down to the wash in front of the rock camp and then was side-tracked by the many flowering plants! One non-flowering plant was a vine, and one I had never seen before, and cannot for the life of all Chihuahuan desert plants, identify. No flowers or seed to help with ID.

As I photographed the vines for later reference, a younger couple asked me if I had found anything interesting. I was so engrossed in examining the specimen that I had not heard them approach. I suppose my curiosity was obvious since I was on my knees and elbows amidst the rocks and gravel. Not a very comfortable position, but when one’s attention is focused, perception seems to be drained from elsewhere, including physical discomfort.

After standing again, my attention was caught by the taller than tall apache plumes! I would see them all along the creek later at various stages of flowering: flower petals (a first) and the more eye-catching plumes. However, these plants were taller than me, much taller than the previous specimens I had seen elsewhere. And I finally was able to see the plants in flower, rather than just the seed heads.

DSC00851-S.jpg

DSC00903-M.jpg

DSC00902-M.jpg

I resumed my hike to the rock structure while noting that the arroyo had deepened since my last visit here. I had to hunt for the path that left the arroyo and progressed to the building. There was now a foot or so high bank to step up where once was a level path.

This structure was built in the early 1930’s in Blue Creek Canyon as a secondary home and line camp for Homer Wilson’s sheep and goats. Although the Wilson’s primary home and headquarters (a Sears-Roebuck mail order house; another story) were in Oak Creek Canyon, this camp was the major working location for the ranch operations: shearing, dipping, lambing, training horses, etc.

DSC00871-M.jpg

The 24’x60’ structure has a 16’-wide screened porch on the south side. Originally, it consisted of 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, and a large living room near the middle. A large fireplace in the middle of the north wall includes a mantle constructed with long slabs of horizontal stone. Some of these slabs are up to 8 feet in length and placed in a colorful arrangement.

DSC00869-M.jpg

Mrs. Wilson wanted a traditional roof and ceiling which was used in most vernacular adobe and rock structures in pre-modern southwest buildings: a reed ceiling with the adobe mud on top. However, these roofs tend to leak water during rains. Homer therefor devised a double roof system: he used a 2-inch concrete mixture in place of the adobe mud. Above that, he added a sheet metal roof, thus making the house leak-proof. The ceiling was made of reeds in the pattern that has been used for centuries by inhabitants near the rivers. The double roof is supported separately by large wooden posts, some replaced in the last several decades.

DSC00877-M.jpg

This double roof was not only leak-proof but also made the house much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter because it created an air space between the metal roof and the ceiling. The interior walls carry little if any support for the roof, as sturdy poles set in cement hold up the weight of the ceiling and roof.

Nearly all materials for the construction of the building came from nearby. The stone, sand, and gravel came from Blue Creek Canyon floor, the timber from the Chisos Mountains, and the reed from the Rio Grande river edges. The large flagstone floor inside the building was also sourced from nearby.

DSC00874-M.jpg

The interior flagstone and concrete porch floors provide thermal mass for solar heat retention in the winter and cooling during hot summer months. Another feature is that the building is partially bermed: the long north wall is built in partially dug-out earth and the porch floor meets the grade on the south. The temperature difference, at least 10 degrees, can be felt by stepping inside both the porch and the camp, even with no doors or window glass.

DSC00872-M.jpg

Wilson’s ranch foreman, Lott Felts, lived at the camp for several years. Out buildings served as chicken coop, bathroom, tool shed and a small camp house for additional helpers. To obtain water for livestock, a pipeline was run several miles up the canyon to a spring. Domestic water was obtained from a cistern built on the hill by the modern parking lot.

DSC00884-M.jpg

A petition to the Park agency was approved in 1975 to retain and restore the line camp house and the chicken coop. The site was deemed a significant example of local ranch life in the Big Bend area before it was added to the Texas and federal park systems in the 1940’s. (Unfortunately, the main Wilson home in Oak Canyon was bulldozed, which is unfortunate, and, in my opinionated opinion, a ‘crime’.)

I continued on my hike, this time towards the proper of Blue Creek Canyon. The trail is primitive and hard to follow except for a few cairns that have survived the more recent flash floods. The beginning of the trail mostly follows Blue Creek, but even the creek has diverged and formed new branches. The main guiding landmarks are the red hoodoos that tower overhead. And, of course, I was side-tracked several times examining and photographing tracks, scat and plant life.

DSC00914-M.jpg

DSC00907-L.jpg

Many shrubs and perennials were flowering after the last rain. The purple flowers of the cenizo set off the small gray-green leaves and were the hit of the desert floor throughout the Park. This was magnified by the many cenizos in and along Blue Creek.

DSC00868-L.jpg

DSC00858-M.jpg

Trumpet Flower, a favorite shrub for Big Bend home landscapes, were also flowering all along the creek. It wasn't until I found many of this shrub's flowers during a Fort Davis hike that I realized that they form an extended bright yellow tube, then slowly the ends of these tubes pop open to form the drooping mouths of the trumpet. If you look close in the photo below, you can see both open and closed trumpets.

DSC00860-M.jpg

DSC00864-M.jpg

A squeal of delight was emitted when I found dozens of my favorite indigenous vine of the Chihuahuan Desert: Old Man's Beard (Clematis drummondii). Considered a weed by many, but treasured by a few weirdos such as myself, this vine can be spotted growing on mesquite or other gangly brush along roadsides in West Texas, especially along fences. Here in the creek, it was in its element and in all stages: insignificant and small greenish-yellow flowers to full feathery seed heads. Needless to say, it will be found within a few years at El Punto Coyote.

DSC00906-M.jpg

In the photo below, you can see the shiny thread-like elongated seed heads of the female plant.

DSC00888-M.jpg

Within 24 hours or more, these threads will expand into silky feathers that wave in the slightest breeze. They are almost fairy-like. They simply captivate and delight me like a child. They almost exude an invitation to come and play.

DSC00900-M.jpg

DSC00893-L.jpg

After deliberate restraint ("No more photographs of flowers!!!"), I continued on my hike along Blue Creek. Ahead, but still in the distance are the towering red spikes and hoodoos that mark the bottom of the Chisos Mnts. I knew the trails eventually climbs up into the mountains, but by now, the sun was unrelentingly hot. I was almost out of water.

'Okay, just a little further.'

DSC00916-M.jpg

I think I told myself that at least ten times.

'Wait, just a bit further.'

DSC00915-M.jpg

Finally, all the voices in my head agreed: 'Enough! Head back.'

After hiking back up the trail to the parking lot, removing my hiking boots and socks, letting my aching feet cool off and air dry, I geared up with one place in mind: Castolon Store, iced tea and ice cream. So, on I rode on the pony with a destination in mind.

By now, the store clerk new the drill: "There's cold iced tea in the cooler and some new ice cream in the freezer chest." Gee, am I that predictable??

Sure enough, there was the couple I ran into during the first part of my hike. The husband was quiet, but the wife told me about their park visits after we first met. I nodded. "What's the name of that book again?"

Then along came the younger couple. "Are you a botanist?" It took me a minute to recognize them; I really didn't pay them much attention while I was on my hands and elbows with the camera stuck to my face.

"Biologist, but botany was my field work."

We then chatted for a good half hour. Both lived in Austin and his Asian wife was employed at U of Texas. We shared academia stories, biology information, etc. It was a good visit, but I was getting dry again and tired of talking. I think my repeated nods revealed that I was done, and they waved good-bye.

I stopped at a pull-off on the way north, a place I've always wanted to stop and usually just blow by. Not this time! I've always marveled at the painted terrain, hillsides of white tuff, brick red volcanic rock and spikey formations. I spent a refreshing 30 minutes just absorbing it all.

DSC00922-M.jpg

During dinner with Randy and his buddies several days ago, I commented that this area of Big Bend is a geologist's 'wet dream'. I'm not a geologist, but it is for me, too. Geologists often comment that rocks and the earth's surface features are like reading a book and they will 'talk' to you.

I can't help but wonder and gaze at most of these formations and try to piece together a historical story of how they came to be. And it always reminds me how insignificant we as species really are. And how much we spend too much time in trivial aspects of day-to-day life when all the most wonderful things are already surrounding us. And how much we should respect them. They really are much more significant and powerful than we are, and than we pretend to be.

DSC00921-M.jpg

And that is why I love it here. Because I am not important; I am only a participant, and I like that. These lands, and all the animals and plants that share its surface, are important to me.

DSC00925-M.jpg

Thanks for the tales. I felt like I was on the hike with you.

Actually I hope to be able to do that someday.

Love the history stuff you include, and the plants. I too like grabbing pics of flowers and interesting plants when out riding. I even go for moss, algae, lichens, etc,... Then there are all the various types of rocks! I went nuts out at the State park near the end of Fresno Canyon where there were a ton of different kind of rocks all in one small area. Anyway, great shots! Keep it coming :popcorn:

Big Skies of Big Bend

DSC00641-M.jpg

Seems no matter where one is, even in town, one can see the greatest starts and ends of the day as the sun rises and sets on the horizon. It always fills me with warmth, power and awe.

DSC00644-L.jpg

In his book, Unweaving the Rainbow, Richard Dawkins discusses at great length that understanding nature's mechanics need not destroy the beauty and passion of life. John Keats, one of the classic poets, complained that Newton's experiments with prisms and his discovery that explained the physics of colors in light destroyed all the poetry of rainbows.

But in biologist Dawkins's world, and mine, science is poetry. The world as rich and full of wonders. And, if one lets it, it is a source of pleasure. Even the interplay of the tiniest molecules, the orchestration of DNA with its environment, and the show-stopping color-plays as light and atmospheric refraction.

DSC00650-M.jpg

In my scientific pursuits - science of the natural world- science does not destroy, "but rather discovers poetry in the patterns of nature." The millions upon millions of patterns of snowflakes, the undulating folds of the mountain side, standing on the top of a jagged uplift looking at the flat valley below and hearing the piercing scream of a hawk coasting below your feet. Knowing that millions of years ago, this lifted ground was thrust upward violently and ripped apart while the earth shook, like a planet giving birth. Looking at thousands of years of evolution swirling around in the white viscous DNA in the test tube held between your fingers.

Sunrises, sunsets, rainbows - these are but a few of the many wonders of science, nature and poetry.

"A Keats and a Newton, listening to each other, might hear the galaxies sing." (Dawkins)

IMG_6176-M.jpg

Cedar Springs

Sunrise. It always changes from minute to minute. One moment there is only a faint tinge of light towards the eastern horizon. The next minute the clouds begin to glow. Then the sky is on fire. And as quick as you can look down, the colors begin to fade into blue light and a giant glow.

DSC00659-M.jpg

DSC00668-M.jpg

DSC00673-M.jpg

A visit to Cedar Springs and several days of good friends and dogs, Randy and his crew (Zeke, Sarge and Hank). Haven't been there in almost a year, so I try to enjoy every minute.

Morning light is special: the angle of light imparts a reddish, orange, then yellow glow on surfaces, both alive and non-living, that are exposed to that angle. It's a good time for some creative photography. And it always looks like a land full of magic.

DSC00670-M.jpg

One of my favorite jaunts is down a nearby arroyo of black volcanic sand. When wet, this arroyo glows black with tiny specks of reflected light. When dry, it is much lighter, a dark, dark gray, but still different than most of the other arroyos painted with beige and light gray.

DSC00680-M.jpg

Arroyos are special places in the desert simply because they are water ways. When rains fall on the desert surfaces, they run downhill. There is little if any organic matter to soak and hold moisture. The water runs races down rock, boulders, and sand. Carrying minerals and tiny pieces of dead plants and animals, all to collect and be deposited in these magical runways.

Because they are usually higher in organic matter and moisture, they attract all living things: animals, birds, plants, insects. If you hike along in an arroyo, you will see stories of animals and birds that come to use these as highways, capture any pools or catches of water, and they are a runway for the food chain. From microbes to insects, small plants to shrubs, trees to birds, rodents to mammals, and all the dead back to microbes that feed the beginning of the food chain. It all happens here.

Even humans.

DSC00683-M.jpg

The dogs usually come with me on these explorations. Sometimes it is hard to discern the coyote from the dog tracks.

DSC00684-M.jpg

With shrubs thick on both sides, I detected a sweet but subtle scent when I passed by a large clump. (I am lacking my notes on the plant IDs, but will fill in later.)

DSC00677-M.jpg

Beebrush, Aloysia wrightii

Because of the higher than average rainfall in the region this year, the flowers in the desert are numerous. Many I have never before seen. But my botanical training allows me to identify traits that are similar throughout plant families and some genus. The most prolific number of family members by far are those in the Sunflower family, Asteraceae or Compositae (depends on reference, but they are the same; the latter is the old name).

Easy to identify, the most common characteristic is familiar to most: most members look like the ubiquitous sunflower, at various sizes; from tiny to giant. It is in the finer details - size and number of petals, sepals, pistils, shape and organization of leaves - that separates the genus and species. Many of them here in the desert are yellow. For a reason.

Many desert flowers are yellow, which attracts bees and butterflies more than other colors, except a red and yellow combination. The optics of bees cannot perceive 'red', it is invisible to bees. But red enhances yellow because it reflects the UV light off the red onto nearby yellow. And when procreation depends on pollinating insects, such as bees, the most attractive flowers to the pollinators wins year by year. (so why are there few yellow/red combo flowers in the desert? Because there are more butterflies, which can perceive red and yellow both just fine, than there are bees.)

In addition to the tall yellow flowering plants, there are the small ones. And then there are small and larger examples of another color adaptation to the desert: silver/gray.

DSC00697-L.jpg

Next time you are in a hot climate and see foliage that look silver/gray, look closely at a few leaves. You might notice that most of these are what one would say, 'hairy.' They aren't really hairs, but small protuberances, called trichomes, of surface cells that contain a pigment that reflect sunlight and helps keep the leaf surface cool. Thus this adaptation reduces heat and water loss from transpiration. They also hold moisture in rain or even dew.

The early morning sun revealed some plants underneath others merely by the sun angle. I found an unusual plat with a large upright trumpet, an unopened flower that was about 5 inches long. I could tell it was a member of the Solonacea family, which encompasses the tomato, potato, eggplant and peppers. It is also called the Deadly Nightshade Family. :trust:

DSC00702-L.jpg

DSC00701-M.jpg

It reminded me of the identical but smaller jimson weed found in Oregon dry lands and considered a noxious weed. But not this big!!

Now in between the house and the arroyo, and in better light, were the usual and familiar Chihuahuan desert plants: ocotillo (with leaves), sotol, yuccas. Single specimens and in groups.

DSC00704-M.jpg

DSC00708-M.jpg

DSC00770-M.jpg

Then my favorites, the agaves. Of which there are MANY kinds here in the desert; many of them hybrids. This one has blue-green with green stripes and young red teeth.

DSC00713-M.jpg

Many propagate mostly by underground stems, called 'stolons.' And they have several color variations.

DSC00715-M.jpg

DSC00768-M.jpg

And one of my favorite photographic subjects because of the textures, colors and shadows.

DSC00725-M.jpg

DSC00735-L.jpg

DSC00726-L.jpg

Then I found more 'trumpet' flowers, this time both closed and open! It is a Datura; D. metaloides. A BIG one, and poisonous. The pollen and thorny seed contain atropine and hallucinogenic compounds. These flowers are a favorite of the hawk moth, a large dark moth (which we saw just a few days ago; in the dark I thought it was a bat until it sat on my lap).

DSC00765-M.jpg

DSC00749-M.jpg

Then on to another stroll in the arroyo. By this time the sun was high, bright and hot. Flowers and tracks everywhere.

DSC00792-L.jpg

DSC00788-M.jpg

Happy Hour came and time for sitting by the camp fire.

DSC00809-M.jpg

DSC00810-M.jpg

But I caught a glimpse of a subtle sunset to the west.

DSC00811-M.jpg

Sleep with crickets in concert and dark skies.
Goodnight, Moon. Goodnight, Stars.

Juxta Sun and Moon

DSC00991-L.jpg

I have a predilection for juxtapositions. Maybe it’s the contrary Indian* in me, or the Trickster that sits on my shoulder. Contrasts fascinate me. Not just the binary, the extreme opposites: it is also the transitions, all the gray in between.

One early morning before sunrise, I dug out the monopod, attached the Sony NEX camera and climbed up the hill behind us in the dark trying my best to avoid the prickly pear and other thorny things that grab and don’t let go without leaving a reminder. At 3,493 feet, lonely Maverick Mnt. obscures the rising sun from us while situated at its base. However, a small hill allows enough elevation for an expansive view to the north and west and invites a 'contemplatin’ mood’. I have climbed it in the past and sat on my haunches while observing life below like a Fool on the Hill.

This time I climbed with a mission. I knew the full moon would be setting on the west horizon as the sun rose in the eastern sky. Although I didn’t expect to capture the magnificent sunrises we are rewarded with at El Punto, views of the western skies on this hill are outstanding. So I crouched, waiting, like a coyote; quietly watching. And was rewarded.

DSC00996-L.jpg

DSC01004-L.jpg

Although the sunrise was obscured in the east, I caught its glow to the south. I especially like this time of the day as the angle of light illuminates and greets plants and other surfaces that face south. And the opposite sides are hidden in shadow. Another subject of contrasts and juxtapositions; food for a Contrary.

DSC01008-M.jpg

* A Contrary was a member of a Native American tribe or group who adopted behavior that was deliberately the opposite of other tribal members, and often displayed in ritual dances and ceremonies. Contraries were usually found among the historical tribes of the Great Plains. It was their life, rather than just an occasional performance, and it was often antagonistic to the tribe’s lifestyles and conventions. It was analogous to the European clown. Another form of the social trickster (or, shall we say, Devil’s Advocate?).

Stories from the Past

Since my DR350 is now my only transportation (sold truck, Whee still in Aledo), one big load of clothes to wash was split between the two side bags and off I rode to the local laundromat. An expensive routine here in the desert where limited resources (e.g. water) and local monopolies are free to charge what they want. But the sun is abundant and free, so I hung a clothes line here at the RV park for folks to use and tested it out twice.

While hanging the laundry and returning the bulging side bags to their normal 'deflated' condition, I heard a motorcycle pulling up. Eyes pop open when they see a Royal Enfield, especially a relatively new one.

The next hour and 1/2 were spent enjoying a long and animated chat with a retired gentleman from New Mexico who happened to work at the Study Butte Mine after it was bought and reopened by Diamond Inc., which later became Diamond-Shamrock. A graduate of Sul Ross U, his expertise is minerals and mining. He joined the SB Mine staff, one of about 4 Anglos, back in the early 1960's. The rest of the personnel were Mexican Nationals that worked the mines and cinnibar processing to mercury.

I got a lesson in how mercury is processed from native ore, which was fascinating. Moreso, I was given a wonderful account of stories of the mine during and after the 1960's. He knew less about the history of the mines when they were first discovered and developed by Villalba and crew, but what I did learn greatly augmented and corrected other 'guesses' I had.

One important fact is that the original Study Butte Store which Villalba and sons built and ran was not where the present SB Store is (actually, was; it is now closed indefinitely). The original was on the landing closer to the mine shafts. He related that he had had many a beer in that store until the roof blew off in the early 1970's. Because the store was built of three-foot adobe walls, they began to deteriorate quickly, as do all adobe walls when not protected by a roof.

However, there are still a few remnants of the store's foundation there amongst the other ruins. A lot of this and other historical info with stories will add to what I have gleaned and photographed thus far. All will be organized into a post in the near future. Dick will also try to obtain for me a copy of a photograph of the original store before it lost the roof.

And then there was more! Unbeknownst to us, while we spent eight days in Hillsboro, NM (a lovely tiny community that would be my second choice to call 'Retirement Home'), last September, we missed out on visiting the cemetery and a gem of a find. Dick told me the story of a Confederate General that died and is buried there. He was instrumental in erecting a large monument to his remembrance there. The stories about that are also fascinating.

Dick has a place here near the Ghost Town and I hope to see him again near the Holidays next month and resume our chats. In fact, he has steered me to a couple of places that few know about around here (Missions 1 and 2). I also promised him we would have a Motorcycle Adventure DVD Night so he can see how Royal Enfields made it to and back from the Himalayas and other areas in places many don't or can't go (the two DVDs from the riders at Dirt Track Productions in India).

What a serendipitous meeting!!

Cloudy and chance of showers

DSC01317-M.jpg

Bad Boy and I bundled up and took a ride in the Park today. Mission One was to find topo maps of the park for a future mission. Mission Two was to Wander. Both missions were accomplished.

The further east I rode, the more cloudy and chilly it became. This time I was headed for the headquarters at Panther Junction where I hoped they would have topo maps. The parking lot was full with little mechanical Boy Scouts wandering around in uniforms, moms and pops with BS badges and walkie talkies (wondered what the heck they were for).

Two tables were set up inside to juggle visitor and camper requests, camping permits, etc. The sign on the wall behind the counter said in large letters "No Camping Sites Available. All Are Full." Meanwhile, I heard the same question like a recording, "Can we get a camp site in [fill in the blank with three camping grounds]?" Rangers smile, point to the sign and repeat with another recording, "All the camping grounds are full this weekend."

Meanwhile, I walked around the circles of shelves containing postcards, guides, books, atlases, etc, but couldn't find any maps. No maps. The two rangers (and the other two at the tables) were busy and I was reluctant to interrupt them. About ready to give up, and looking at the floor (for some odd reason), I saw almost hidden in two brackets tacked to the bottom of one wall shelf, what appeared might be folded maps. No labels.

Picked one up and turned it right side up: USGS Topo Map. Yeah Buddy! Scored!

Finally seeing a break in the flow of little people and big people in uniforms, I walked up to the counter,

"Where on earth did you find these? I didn't know we had these."

"Over there, near the floor. They are inserted backwards and upside down."

"Well, I'll be......"

Stepped outside avoiding running into more uniformed shirts bearing BS badges, I took a moment to examine *this* side of the Chisos Mnts. I am so used to the Chisos Mnts from the western perspective; it all looked new to me from an eastern perspective. And cloudy.

Started the Bad Boy and we rode with no particular place to go. Considering riding to Tuft Canyon, but didn't really feel like doing Maxwell Silver Hammer Drive again. Maybe go part way up to the Basin? Let's roll.

Stopped at a pull off about a mile or so into Green Gulch and marveled at several things:
  • it was raining up in the Basin,
  • I did not have rain gear on me
  • the clouds were awesome
  • I was glad I found my neck gaiter
  • I forgot to close the vent zippers on my jacket
  • I wonder if there are any large kitties in the arroyo next to me

I took several photos as the clouds swirled around and above. The mountains were hidden in a veil of moisture; not yet rain, not clouds and not fog. Just suspended indecisive moisture. However, this is one of the most prominent sky islands in the northern Chihuahuan desert and this is what sky islands do. They create and change their own weather. Which is why the biodiversity on and within them is more complex than that of the desert floor.

It could rain, it could snow, it could freeze. And I was unprepared. So I deleted the consideration of riding further up into the Basin. We are planning on riding up there tomorrow anyway. No loss. Take more photos.

DSC01312-M.jpg

DSC01306-M.jpg

DSC01322-M.jpg

Time to get on my horsey and ride.

Now the entire sky was cloudy and I could see rain was falling to the west, over Terlingua and Study Butte. Oh well.

Not much traffic, which was a good thing. Took the pony briefly up to 60mph to clean the jets, then let it coast back down to 45. Really, only a minute or so. Honest.

Glancing to my right I recalled a place I've wanted to stop and check out for some time. Seemed to me the right time to do so. The cloudy skies offered a nice light for some big scenic shots, so off I pulled.

One place in the Park not often seen, probably not well known, is an area where Dawson Creek widens out and becomes an area of Badlands. Not as grand and colorful as John Day Fossil Beds/Painted Hill in Oregon, but beautiful nonetheless.

DSC01324-M.jpg

DSC01330-M.jpg

The scenic stage is several hundred feet below where I stood, and probably over a mile wide and who knows how long (several miles?). The reddish clay is inviting, the gray and black clay is as beautiful.

DSC01326-M.jpg

DSC01331-M.jpg

I also spotted several flowering plants - ocotillo, creosote bush, and a large leaved legume with stinky green flowers that made me sneeze.

Looking more at the details in the west, I noticed a road, and then realized how familiar that road is! Because it was sprinkling and I was too lazy to change the lens on the camera, I cropped one of the photos. Some might recognize the road in the photo below.

DSC01335-L.jpg

It started raining harder and I was getting chilled. I wanted a hot coffee and something to eat by that time. I said goodbye to the lovely coveted red clay (would love to have several pails full), closed all my jacket zippers, and headed out.

DSC01339-L.jpg

I always wave at the ranger at the station entry; seems the two women that usually man that station know me by now.

Headed to town to see if I could find something of interest. A few locals were on the Front Porch, which was fine by me. I exchanged my regular duty lens for the zoom, which I rarely use, and took some shots of the sun starting to show some color on the mountains to the east.

DSC01351-L.jpg

DSC01343-M.jpg

DSC01346-M.jpg

As most of us know, things change slowly around here, except for the weather. Lot of moisture in the air and a porch sitter mentioned that most of the park was blanketed in fog this morning. Except the Basin, which was sunny. Of course, when I was there, rain was falling in the Basin. It comes, it goes.

DSC01355-M.jpg

Rode back to 'Home'; it was a bit chilly ride. But the sun was trying to break through again, and I caught a glimpse of color way to the southwest. After getting out of my gear, Bob the Dog and I climbed up the hill behind the RV park and watched life below, which watching a slit in the clouds on the horizon revealing the sun trying to show itself off.

DSC01358-M.jpg

DSC01363-M.jpg

Meanwhile, Earl's dogs -Jake and Duke- were barking up a storm at the bright yellow mammal standing on top of the hill above them with white Bob the Dog, while I barked back at them. Which just fired them off like a hot poker.

One the way down the hill - not sure who was doing better: me with two big feet, or Bob the Dog with four little feet - I spotted this display of wild color, which was more pronounced under the cloudy skies than if it had been sunny. A sedum of some species (sedums have fat fleshy leaves that store water) and a short-stemmed yellow flowered plant in a tight group. The red and yellow plants seemed to be buddies and posed nicely for me as I photographed them.

DSC01368-M.jpg

A few slices of left-over Long Draw pizza in the fridge were calling me and I couldn't refuse. Walked in to rain droplets on the roof. Always a pleasant sound to hear, and releases wonderful desert aromas that fill your brain with giggles.

Re: Big Skies of Big Bend

In his book, Unweaving the Rainbow, Richard Dawkins discusses at great length that understanding nature's mechanics need not destroy the beauty and passion of life. John Keats, one of the classic poets, complained that Newton's experiments with prisms and his discovery that explained the physics of colors in light destroyed all the poetry of rainbows.

But in biologist Dawkins's world, and mine, science is poetry. The world as rich and full of wonders. And, if one lets it, it is a source of pleasure. Even the interplay of the tiniest molecules, the orchestration of DNA with its environment, and the show-stopping color-plays as light and atmospheric refraction.

In my scientific pursuits - science of the natural world- science does not destroy, "but rather discovers poetry in the patterns of nature." The millions upon millions of patterns of snowflakes, the undulating folds of the mountain side, standing on the top of a jagged uplift looking at the flat valley below and hearing the piercing scream of a hawk coasting below your feet. Knowing that millions of years ago, this lifted ground was thrust upward violently and ripped apart while the earth shook, like a planet giving birth. Looking at thousands of years of evolution swirling around in the white viscous DNA in the test tube held between your fingers.

:tab Awesome photos as usual :thumb:

:tab I totally agree about the science thing making the world even more interesting rather than making it common place and boring. I mean, just thinking about the physics involved with riding a bike is mind boggling. It is more than just the traction, weight, balance, etc,... It is also all the materials properties that go into the stuff the bike is made of, the thermodynamics of the combustion, and on and on. Then I start looking at all the variety of scenery and contemplating all the processes that occurred to bring it into being. Then on top of all that, there is just this sense of awe at the complexity and interrelatedness of everything and yet it is also so incredibly aesthetically pleasing to the eye. How marvelous that the world is like this, from the MICROscopic all the way up to the MACROscopic! Fascinating.

Back