• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strangest road signs you've ever come across? Got pics?

Not a road sign, but a street sign with a strange name. Sounds like a country off Rocky and Bullwinkle to me. Clay County, TX.

lower_slobova.jpg

Li'l Abner.... it turns out...

sloboviastrip.gif

I can print one for you. I already have a screen made to print the shirt.

Edit: Sorry, I just remembered selling on this site isn't allowed.

I think 'freebies' would be a way around that......:trust:

Free shirt, $20 shipping? That shows a decided lack of integrity, violating the intent of the forum rules.

Um, lack of integrity on whose part?
So if I made you a shirt, sent it to you as a freebie, I would get called on my ethics? :scratch:
.....you sir, are no longer under consideration for my 2009 X-Mas list :rofl:

do I see this turning into a strange/weird/or just plain cool street sign thread?

It just may Poser, heres my contribution.

100_1692.jpg

On the way to H*ll, Michigan. The road to H*ll was nicely paved and shady, contrary to what you normally hear :trust:
I guess the sign is subject to frequent attempts at being swiped; the sign posts had hacksaw cuts all up and down and the nuts and bolts to hold the sign in place were welded together.

How about printing the photo and taking it to the ubiquitous local t-shirt shop.
I'm sure they could fix you up.

The sign reminds me of a common one I saw on hikes in Great Britain:

Caution! People Have Died Here!

It just may Poser, heres my contribution.

100_1692.jpg

On the way to H*ll, Michigan. The road to H*ll was nicely paved and shady, contrary to what you normally hear :trust:
I guess the sign is subject to frequent attempts at being swiped; the sign posts had hacksaw cuts all up and down and the nuts and bolts to hold the sign in place were welded together.

:lol2: were there any good intentions paving the way, or was it wide and windy?

yeah it was from our trip to St. Maarten before Christmas for my sister's wedding. Unfortunately we didn't see any that big land or take off the morning we spent at that beach. the few we saw were still cool.

Come to think of it I still need to do a trip report with pics.

How about printing the photo and taking it to the ubiquitous local t-shirt shop.
I'm sure they could fix you up. ...

Any local t-shirt shop could fix you up, as long as you pay the art and screen charges and/or buy a 48 to 72-shirt minimum. On the other hand, you could settle for a heat-pressed vinyl product that will peel and crack after a couple dozen washings, or a dye sublimation process on a white shirt (or a white rectangle ironed on a black shirt) that will fade rapidly with repeated washing. You can order dye-sublimated and iron-on shirts from cafepress.com. There are many options.

Maybe I should just do an eBay sale, take orders for 10 days, print them all at once, ship them, then surprise Tourmeister with a big donation. Anybody have other ideas for a t-shirt fundraiser for TWT?

Um, lack of integrity on whose part?
So if I made you a shirt, sent it to you as a freebie, I would get called on my ethics? :scratch:
.....you sir, are no longer under consideration for my 2009 X-Mas list :rofl:

Sending a gift isn't a lack of integrity. Using someone else's website to advertise a free product, then making enough profit on the shipping to cover the cost of the product shows a definate lack of integrity, and I won't do it. Besides, all you gave me for christmas last year was a shiny sliver new nothing with a hole in it, and it broke the first day, so I don't care about being on your Christmas list.

I'm new to the forum, so if this has been seen before, I apologize. Ran across this sign on the Blue Ridge in N. Carolina.
Shotrod :lol2:
351967152.jpg

Btw thats an awesome find.I have never seen one like it before.

I believe the sign is warning riders that the road ahead is a circular road. And as we all know circular roads are banked . Curves are designed with a bank in them. In other words the curves are not flat. They have a certain degree of angle designed into the road. 2-5 degrees is not uncommon. This allows you to traverse that curve at a higher rate of speed than if it were flat.

Excessive speed on the circular path may result in the vehicle loosing its grip on the road.

Also another look at the sign tells me that you may want to practice stunts like standing up on your bike while in motion :lol2:

Using someone else's website to advertise a free product, then making enough profit on the shipping to cover the cost of the product shows a definate lack of integrity, and I won't do it.

Wow, just wow.........read my original post (#10); 9 words, no mention of any money exchanged up front, under the table, round the back, nor implied
or expected in any manner. A straight up gift to Poser. (its a joke Ken, dont read extras into it. :doh:
Geez, and they call me a thick-headed Dutchman....:headbang:

Now then, I do like the idea of the T shirts being sold as a fund raising vehicle for TWT. 'nuff said.

Wow, just wow.........read my original post (#10); 9 words, no mention of any money exchanged up front, under the table, round the back, nor implied
or expected in any manner. A straight up gift to Poser. (its a joke Ken, dont read extras into it. :doh:
Geez, and they call me a thick-headed Dutchman....:headbang:

Now then, I do like the idea of the T shirts being sold as a fund raising vehicle for TWT. 'nuff said.

A joke? Oh, :rofl: :lol2: :rofl: :lol2: I guess I'm too dense to understand a Dutchman's humor.

Unfortunately, the current economy is not conducive to gifts. At this point in time, all I can afford to give anyone is time.

A joke? Oh, :rofl: :lol2: :rofl: :lol2: I guess I'm too dense to understand a Dutchman's humor.

Unfortunately, the current economy is not conducive to gifts. At this point in time, all I can afford to give anyone is time.

You can give away time? Wow you much be rich then! :zen:

That is a great sign, and I have no issues with stealing it and making it an avatar.

You can give away time? Wow you much be rich then! :zen:

That is a great sign, and I have no issues with stealing it and making it an avatar.

Sheesh. Maybe there is something to that thread about functionally illiterate Americans.

One of my favorite signs. This one is on a steep, downhill, gravel, 1-lane road in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
IMG_0436-1.jpg

The first curve.
IMG_0437.jpg

That's the road, way down there.
IMG_0438.jpg

good one.

Blue Ridge? I think the posted limit is about 50. Of course, it's like 30 now on Deal's.

good one.

Blue Ridge? I think the posted limit is about 50. Of course, it's like 30 now on Deal's.

You must be thinking of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The speed limit on that road is 45mph. It is paved. This road is Bearwallow Mountain Road heading north to Gerton. Last I rode Deals gap it was 30mph all the way. When first I rode Deals Gap it was 55mph and the Tennessee part was torn down to graded gravel for repaving.

I don't remember hearing anybody call you Dutch.
.....ya should hear what Mrs. D calls me sometimes. :doh:

Anyway, heres the next entry :coffee: Hot Coffee, Mississippi just a few miles away from Soso.
Photo was taken in 04 as part of HOGs ABC's of Touring contest, that 'splains why theres a copy of Hogtales in the shot, if anybody was curious.

hotcoffee.jpg

Last edited:
Well, well, there realy is a Santa Clause.

Awww. poo... I was gonna post this pic...

but it turned into a Tshirt war! :giveup:

Mary

WOW! Memories ... I lived for 7 years about five miles from this sign! Sometimes I just want to go home. Don't get me wrong, I love Texas and the people here but there is nothing you can do about where you're from.

Back