• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strom-a-Thon #1 is in the books

Re: Strom-A-Thon Texas 2014 May 2-4 2014

:rofl: ^^^^^^^^ missed someone was from tolar!

thanks you guys for the meetup. it was great meeting many of yall, and we had a beautiful ride, lead by rod w/ cannon taking the photo/gopro shots, tour back home yesterday.

tj and I were able to dodge 3 near deer and I, almost home, accidentally ran over a very large snake (dangit!) but it kept slithering into the ditch so hopefully ok.

also, thanks for whoever styled up and got the t-shirts! very nice!

Re: Strom-a-Thom #1 is in the books

Here are some of my pics from the Strom-A-Thon. The videos will take a few days.

Thursday afternoon, on the way to Llano, I catch up to Mr2mch (only because he's already parked on the side of the road :)

13_zps907cc7bb.jpg

At the Llano city park: planning the next day's rides:
04-NightStroms_zpsea096765.jpg

Friday morning: Will (Mudclod) leads the dirt riding crew:
02-DirtplanningFri_zps50e7ee35.jpg

...through some beautiful country:
05-Hillcountry_zps90392a44.jpg

And some great dirt roads:
07_zpsc5e27cfb.jpg

Through some dry river beds:
06_zps8547c40f.jpg

...and through some not so dry... Mudclod shows us how it's done:
08_zps50c1abcf.jpg

No, not that way! It takes practice... :) (I'll post the videos in a couple of days :)
09_zpsbaf54a46.jpg

The aftermath...
03-Dwaynewaterinboots_zps8b1c71c4.jpg

I decide not to chance it and walk my bike instead of riding it across:
10_zps035bf3bd.jpg

The Firday dirt riding group - Josh, Will, Dwayne, and Evgeniy:
01-DirtridersFriday_zps58265dfd.jpg

Friday night dinner at the Badu House--meeting new friends:
14_zpsf3676cf3.jpg

...and chillin':
15_zps802d2bd6.jpg

Saturday morning StrokedNBored helps SantaFeTrailer with a tire repair at the park:
16_zps07794ea2.jpg

Saturday at Harry's on the Loop ( I had decided that the most direct way from Llano to Dallas for a Vstrom is via the Willow City Loop where we have a chance encounter with Mudclod and the Saturday dirt riding group:
11_zps1d20a866.jpg

Will at Harry's:
12_zpsa09d2a5d.jpg

On the road again:
00-OnthewaytoLlano_zpsec5c831e.jpg

What a great weekend this was! I met many cool people and look forward to the 2nd Annual Strom-A-Thon!

Evgeniy / AdventureDallas

ur welcome.

I wand to send the new one back and let you get the credit back.
Why? that's just me.

Tell you what - hang onto and bring it to the next Strom-a-Thon so when I slice my tire, again, you can save the day, again!

Strom-a-Thom #1 is in the books

For all you folks who didn't attend because ya didn't have a Strom.....

I jus added a 2013 650 to my list of bikes for sale on my vendor thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

& BY THE WAY..... If I haven't said it yet..... HUGE THANX TA ALL YA'LL

We had a pretty large turnout for a first time event. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend's riding with various folks.... heck.... I thoroughly enjoyed the WHOLE weekend..... right down ta watchin that last rider take off for home Sunday afternoon (Tim!)

I'll bet the next Strom-A-Thon Texas will surpass this inaugural event's events

mightily ..... hopefully by having a Veek there.... or a Week! either would be good

Rooster (Kevin) testing a Veep for size at Destination Cycle in Kerriville.
ema6yham.jpg

New paint ?

ATGATT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tell you what - hang onto and bring it to the next Strom-a-Thon so when I slice my tire, again, you can save the day, again!

ya know, there is a funny side to this.

I bought that tube Fri morn before I left.
The parts guy brought out a tube telling me that was the size for my bike.
I looked at, and it was marked 5.00 x 17, (5.xx - 5.yy x 17), told him that was too big for my tire. After some arguing and him going to look at my bike he gave me the correct one.

That first tube was the size for your rear tire.

Sometimes things happen to make you wonder.

Strom-a-Thom #1 is in the books

Tim your photo turned out perfect. Love the lake and trees in the background. Do wish the riders that had to leave on Saturday day had not missed out. Maybe next year we will find that field of wildflowers.

Last edited:
SB and I had a good ride Saturday , 450 miles with about 60 of it gravel , didn`t take but a few pics :giveup: here is one.

llanoride012_zps053904b2.jpg

great pics you guys!:clap: I love the one of the strom doing a ski-do imitation. (oop, looks like that was a notastrom)
;-)

and grsa that vid is funny, especially with the land shark music. :lol2:

Re: Strom-a-Thom #1 is in the books

Here are some of my pics from the Strom-A-Thon. The videos will take a few days.

Thursday afternoon, on the way to Llano, I catch up to Mr2mch (only because he's already parked on the side of the road :)

13_zps907cc7bb.jpg

At the Llano city park: planning the next day's rides:
04-NightStroms_zpsea096765.jpg

Friday morning: Will (Mudclod) leads the dirt riding crew:
02-DirtplanningFri_zps50e7ee35.jpg

...through some beautiful country:
05-Hillcountry_zps90392a44.jpg

And some great dirt roads:
07_zpsc5e27cfb.jpg

Through some dry river beds:
06_zps8547c40f.jpg

...and through some not so dry... Mudclod shows us how it's done:
08_zps50c1abcf.jpg

No, not that way! It takes practice... :) (I'll post the videos in a couple of days :)
09_zpsbaf54a46.jpg

The aftermath...
03-Dwaynewaterinboots_zps8b1c71c4.jpg

I decide not to chance it and walk my bike instead of riding it across:
10_zps035bf3bd.jpg

The Firday dirt riding group - Josh, Will, Dwayne, and Evgeniy:
01-DirtridersFriday_zps58265dfd.jpg

Friday night dinner at the Badu House--meeting new friends:
14_zpsf3676cf3.jpg

...and chillin':
15_zps802d2bd6.jpg

Saturday morning StrokedNBored helps SantaFeTrailer with a tire repair at the park:
16_zps07794ea2.jpg

Saturday at Harry's on the Loop ( I had decided that the most direct way from Llano to Dallas for a Vstrom is via the Willow City Loop where we have a chance encounter with Mudclod and the Saturday dirt riding group:
11_zps1d20a866.jpg

Will at Harry's:
12_zpsa09d2a5d.jpg

On the road again:
00-OnthewaytoLlano_zpsec5c831e.jpg

What a great weekend this was! I met many cool people and look forward to the 2nd Annual Strom-A-Thon!

Evgeniy / AdventureDallas

Great pictures. Hope no one got hurt/sprained/broken/stoved/cut...etc on the James River. I am PROOF that you can get hurt walking a heavy motorcycle across the James River......:lol2:

Lou West at Edwards Creek:
DSC_4137-L.jpg

Main Street in London:
DSC_4154-L.jpg

Duchess, Mr2mch, and TJ crossing the Llano river:
DSC_4247-L.jpg

Tim, great photo of Lou. PS - I did some checking of old British cars and I'm pretty sure that was a Healey sitting up on the hilltop there. We should have sent Lou up to check it out more closely.

Dirt Day 1

Llano and Robinson Park is an awesome camping venue and the weather looked to be spectacular all weekend so I arrived as early Thursday as possible to enjoy the event. Many had beaten me and were already preparing for the next days ride.

001_zps04cb5d97.jpg

003_zps3b1b2dba.jpg

004_zps41448f84.jpg

Our Master of ceremonies arrives so let the fun begin!

006_zpsb6c41c5a.jpg

AdventureDallas, shermandns, and vfaame joined me for a mostly dirt ride up through Esbon, Pontotoc, and beautiful areas north of Mason.

Crossing the Llano River

011_zps5ff17d7e.jpg

010_zps73cdc7a3.jpg

The roads through Mason county were heavenly!

012_zps3abfe454.jpg

021_zpsc318e2fc.jpg

019_zps739c116c.jpg

020_zps3406b3c7.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/TsAI0NVx77o"]VStroms near Esbon Texas - YouTube[/ame]

We took our first break in Pontotoc/Field Creek and it was lovely.

022_zps855a6f44.jpg

024_zpsc3c2a8da.jpg

023_zps7f963c12.jpg

025_zps65459248.jpg

vfaame's chain guard loosened up, what a common DL1000 problem.

017_zpsd598a6c8.jpg

After a lunch break in Mason our real adventure began on the James River!

030_zps2f4924b6.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/r7ZxwtH697A"]V-Strom's on James River Road - YouTube[/ame]

029_zpsf3eacc1e.jpg

027_zps265ee2e6.jpg

We walked the river searching for the best lines and sent Duane out first on the lighter KLR.

037_zpsb10916a1.jpg

035_zps222ce459.jpg

He couldn't resist the opportunity of a free bike wash though!

[ame="http://youtu.be/Jzbosk9dWog"]KLR650 crosses the James River - YouTube[/ame]

No harm, no foul however-we were all cooled off. Thanks Duane! Next up was yours truly on a new "creative line" I scouted. FAIL!

034_zps01630ac3.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/L_6vxpRiiF0"]V-Strom crosses James River (Creative line) - YouTube[/ame]

AdventureDallas was a team player an elected to have us all assist. A smart move.

076_zpsaf33ff55.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/YGcwZ1HjxrI"]V-Strom crosses the James 2 - YouTube[/ame]

And lastly vfaame schooled us all with river crossing mastery!

033_zpsa811e823.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/Fd2_fwQIopE"]V-Strom Crossing the James. - YouTube[/ame]

What a great day of riding!

Here are different angles of the same James River crossing that Mudclod posted above. Raw footage, no fancy editing... just the facts, the wet facts :)

First video - Mudclod crosses the river and the river claims the KLR... The real action is at about the 2:30 and 3:50 minute marks.

[ame="http://youtu.be/mtUrw7sQfxk"]Strom-A-Thon 2014: James River Crossing - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

On the second video I fall in the water at 1:17 mark (something told me to keep all my protective gear on :)) and at 9:00 the question "How many people does it take to walk a Strom (German for 'stream') across a stream?" is answered. Nothing much in between.

[ame="http://youtu.be/5ri_Qeb2j0g"]Strom-A-Thon 2014: James River Crossing - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

The last video is cut short as the battery dies before it can capture Vfaame's exemplary ride across the river:

[ame="http://youtu.be/aJ0vg5FFiWY"]Strom-A-Thon 2014: James River Crossing - Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Kojack06, fortunately, noone got hurt and all had a great time. Mudclod, thank you for posting - awesome pics & videos!

Thanks for the videos/Pics AdventureDallas & Mudclod. We had an awesome ride that day. I can't wait till the next one. And yes those Street tires got me through :zen: but a found about 8 bolts missing when I got home. Glad I made it home with all my parts still hanging on. :eek:
Mudclod was the expert in showing us how it was done. He went the hard way and made it!

I've only skimmed this thread and photos, and I don't own a Strom. I'm still in the off-road world trying to decide on a steed to add to the stable.

Quick question fellas, did anyone ride this event 2-up? Is it possible? I'm trying to gauge the riding I want to do, and the bike I want to use. I also have 3 youngish kids and would like the chance to bring someone else along with me at times.

Thanks
CJB

The V-Strom is very capable 2 up.I think the limits of riding 2up off-road would supersede the ability of the bike. I took my wife on the sisters with no problem.

The V-Strom is very capable 2 up.I think the limits of riding 2up off-road would supersede the ability of the bike. I took my wife on the sisters with no problem.

Thanks for the reply. The general 2-up capabilities are part of whats attracting me to the Strom. However, when you say "off-road" are you referring to 'non-paved'? In my world off-road is more like this:

abe6.jpg

I see a good amount of riding photos that are on non-paved roads and have to wonder if most of that could be done with a 10 yr old on the back? (one who also rides a motorcycle [is not complete dead weight])

07_zpsc5e27cfb.jpg

Thanks,
CJB

Back