• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strom a Thon 2015 in the book

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Re: Strom-A-Thon and Others 2015 May 1-2-3

Enjoyed seeing and talking to folks tonight at Badu House.

Scott and I drove out to the park to drop off the huge honking top case for Vlust and planned on hanging out some more with folks, but i just plumb ran out of gas. To bed with me shortly.

But it sure was great seeing lots of folks tonight.

We are planning an appearance at Stonewalls tomorrow, i figure most strommers will be roving the countryside but maybe we will see a few of you there.

grandelatte

Consistently Inconsistent
Forum Supporter

Saturday's group ride, Timbercat leading us - @ Hill Top Cafe

17169779968_fac825153a_c.jpg

Vinny and I decided to ride through lake Buchanon on the way home. The lake is low enough that people have made trails around it. Sandy....

Difficult to really count but about 60 riders participated in this amassing 3 day event riding from Llano Texas in all directions.

Wild flower and weather could not have been better,

I'll add more once I get back home but wanted to get this started for any early postings.

ATGATT. Lee
" I never worry about getting lost.
I just change where I plan on going."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vfaame

Forum Supporter
Had a great time, as expected. Thanks so much everyone that was involved in planning this event. I am allready looking forward to strom-a-thon 2016. Sorry I missed you this morning rod but I will catch you on the next ride.

Thanks again Timbercat for another wonderful motorcycle gathering. Got there late Saturday with very little energy but set up and watched a sidecar movie at Bobs. Retired early but started out early Sunday to Marble Falls to pick up some bike goodies. Got back in time for the Llano M@G and then off to the country side with The Ride Guru and Lee. Pictures to follow.

Badu Saturday dinner rides.
100_4888-001_zpsdj3paa4m.jpg

100_4889-001_zpss8slbvgh.jpg

100_4890-001_zps2pq0lgdv.jpg

Llano city park camp pics. Strom-A-Thon 2015

100_4891-001_zpsmaojezw5.jpg

100_4892-001_zpseynvpeta.jpg

Waiting around for pictures Sunday morning.

100_4895-001_zps13znzk2a.jpg

100_4896-001_zpsrewuluyi.jpg

Was your bike there? Well it should have been.

100_4897-001_zpsirzodxk5.jpg

100_4898-001_zpsafb2nqku.jpg

What a perfect weekend, great weather great riding and great people.

Big thanks to those who put this together :clap:

Here's a couple pics my better half took...

Attachments

Some pics from our (self, KamleeR, Zyphyr and Hunter the wonder dog) Saturday

James River. Looked much deeper than it actually was

Near the crossing we stopped to contemplate the prospect of fording this river, KamleeR came under attack from a very pissed chickadee.

Seems that Carolyn was just inches away from her nest and she ready to tear into Carolyn. Robert and I had to extract her out before things got bloody

Initially we had chickened out but then another Ural and a few GSA's went through and showed us it was not that deep. One of the GSA's went down a few times but was finally able to make it. So, with outriggers and training wheel attached, off I go.

Zypher then pilots my Ural across and back with KamleeR as monkey

(I'll try to post vid of the crossing later)

Hunter cools off in a muddy hole

Some more random pictures and low water crossings

Overall, a great day and a great ride

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
Back home about 8:15 tonite... after a quik burger in Gatesville.... I hav some good pics from the weekend & will postem tomorro.... rite now... Im chillin.... tired but happy.
Already some great pics being posted from other folks

Hey Everyone

It was great seeing you again. I didn't get a chance to catch up with a few of you, but there's always next year, or that trip to New Mexico!

Once again, it was definitely worth the commute. What pretty country y'all have there. Huge thanks to Richard (Rod, please let him know) and Lee for leading two great rides.

I went the southern route home, thinking I'd stop for the night in Pecos or thereabouts. I was in good shape when I got there, and I figured it was only another 6 or 7 hours home so I got to sleep in my own bed, getting home about 1:30.

Whoever was watching me "knock on wood" when I said I'd never been pulled over, I wish you had mentioned that picnic table was concrete, not wood. I got pulled over literally 5 minutes from home. After a conversation of "you rode from where?" "aren't you cold" (it was mid-40's by that time), "who rides a bike in the middle of the night?" etc. he sent me on my way without a fast driving award for the 22 over he'd caught me at.

Anyway, thanks again for a great rally, great company, great riding, great food.

Now that the NM Butler map finally came out, I could make good on my threat for putting together a little Ruidoso weekend if anyone is interested?

Really Bob? A Chickadee? It was a huge, ferocious Killdee!
What fabulous riding! Thanks for leading our dirt route through miles upon miles of sand, granite, and gravel roads. Numerous low water crossings , abundant wildflowers, and just spectacular scenic views made for the perfect day!
Thanks Rod for the wonderful wondering!!! Amazing roads and just a picture perfect weekend!
Camping in the park was unbelievable nice weather for tents the first of May.
Food was awesome at the Badu house. Along with good friends, it couldn't have been any nicer of a weekend!
Icing on the cake was having Gina there both Saturday night and the Sunday meet and greet! She's definitely a trooper! Glad to know shes doing a little better day by day. Thanks Scott for all your care making sure she stays on tract and heals quickly. It will be no time at all she's back on her Wee with Glee!

I failed to mention earlier, that if you enjoyed dinner at The Badu, take a moment and note your comments on Trip Advisor and/or Yelp.
They did a good job for us. And they did this by calling in family members to help after several of their scheduled waitstaff called in "sick".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Difficult to really count but about 60 riders participated in this amassing 3 day event...
Sorry to have missed this year. Just back from my 4 day trip to the Romney Camp & Ride in WV. Probably at least that number of Strom's in attendance there and an equal number of Super Tenere's. Too bad events were scheduled on the same weekend forcing me to decide. My new bike picked Appalachia over Llano so I had to follow it there.

_

Donna (my wife) and I had a fantastic time there. It was our first ever TWT event. We were greatly impressed with the fine people you all are, plus Llano is such a great location to fan out from, camping was terrific (we love to camp), and the weather could not have been better.

I am having a little trouble posting pics, (this forum seems to work differently than others I post in) otherwise I would already have posted the Sunday morning group pictures that Donna took. Here is the link to DropBox to view or download them. (Lee, I sent you a PM).

https://www.dropbox.com/l/DMjkRZSEe7m9E7vAs7rDlo

If I can fit it with my work schedule, we will definitely be there next year.

Adrian

Dao

AMAZING SHOTS!
Thank you very much for posting these.
I look forward to meeting and riding w/ you and Donna again.

Vinny

Forum Supporter
I was only there Saturday afternoon to Sunday. Great weather and great set up all the way around.
I have to say, the shirt this year is one of the best material, color and graphics that I have ever earned. I will actually wear this one often. I probably have a hundred "ride" shirts and they are never this good.
The restaurant on Saturday afternoon was awesome too.
Looking forward to next year.

Dao

So how'd you earn that shirt, homie?
I saw others earned their shirts by cracking open their wallet and pulling out the greens?

V-lust

Forum Supporter

Great riding with a Great bunch of Folks!!! I managed to get in with Rod's group Friday morning and had a great time ... Nice pace combined with his phenomenal navigational skills make for a fun time. I left the group about noon to ride with Granmaw. I took her on many of the roads we had ridden that morning but managed to miss the water crossings fortunately. Thanks to a wrong turn we wound up in the Hill country metro mess of Fredericksburg and had a cheap lunch from HEB (Grandmaws favorite store)
Did the Willow City Loop on the way back which was surprisingly uncrowded and always fun when not infested with slow moving pirates. We hit Eckert, the Crabapples, Welgehausen, 111, and 2323 back to camp which was about enough riding for a couple of AARP qualifiers.
Saturday our destination was Mason. We went west to Castell and North to 29 then north on RR1900 then West on RR2618 to RR386 and south to Mason ... Beautiful country!
. What a Big well planned beautifully maintained courthouse an square! From there we went up to the site of Fort Mason, high ground for sure!

From there we headed toward the James River road but took Simmonsville rd. instead as it came out closer to Doss. Granmaw (a schoolteacher) is enamored with the two teacher school in Doss. Turned off on Langes mill road where we took our most expensive picture.
. Went to the feed store in Doss for a cool drink in the shade of the porch where Debra interrogated a local couple about the Doss school for about thirty minutes. After a run back to Mason for fuel we went to Castell for a late lunch of brisket and pork loin on the porch.
. I enjoyed socializing at the Badu while Granmaw vegetated at camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
I'm not sure why/how it happened like it did, but I think Vinny 'earned' my shirt for me.

Thanks, Vinny! I owe ya.

Donna,

Thanks for the great pics, I can now prove to my wife I was there.

And GRSA thanks for all the work you did on the T-shirts, greatly appreciated.

Had a great time with some great people.

[ame="http://youtu.be/qejgMxau0jc"]2015 Stromathon Llano. - YouTube[/ame]

Saturday ride with the one of a kind Mr2Mch.great thanks to him and Timbercat to which I owe so much of my awesome weekend.Had a great time with all!

Big Bird

Forum Supporter
cant remember when I've had so much fun riding. special thanks to rod for leading us on some great rides. If everyone enjoyed it 1/2 as much as me then I enjoyed it twice as much as you. And I know I drank too much beer cause Sunday everyone was talking about the trip to Big Bend we planned. When did that happen?

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
Without further adoo....
Fridays goatpath goins on
View attachment 33967
uploadfromtaptalk1430795355454.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430795412886.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430795554605.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430795634194.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430795452871.jpg
These are just a few of the ones I got on Friday
The pic with the bikes comin up the hill & around the curve was from Fulton Ranch Rd near San Marcos... low water crossing is Little Arkansas Rd between Fulton & Flite Acres Rd.

Last edited:
It was really great to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones.
Its hard to have more good times that a solid weekend of riding with some friends.

I'm terrible with names, but the guys from Killeen Tx that came out for the first time and rode dirt with a few of us Saturday - Great to meet you, i'll get a better thought out plan for a route next time. (hopefully avoiding a 70 minute wait for a burger at lunch)

DerrickJ - who we ran into at Harrys on the Loop - awesome custom Matte Green Tenere - look forward to seeing you again.

The "Crew" who provided emotional support and a tire plug at Castell - thanks again. I ordered one of those StopnGo kits. That thing works beautifully.

Rod and Lee - Excellent job again. My helmet is off to you guys.

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
Now...How about a few from our Saturday goatpaths galore...

First pic is from the high S curve behind Enchanted Rock on CR111/Keese Rd
Second is still Keese Rd ... the low water crossing just off FM965 & Gypsum Mine Rd.
Two were stops for the numerous bluish purple flower fields (lupens?) dotting the countryside west & NW of Fredericksburg
Last pic is from Centerpoint Rd.... The little pond on the creek down south getting close to RR1341 & Comfort.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
.... & finally.... Sunday mornin's pics from our highway blast to Castell & beyond...

We started off on RR152 but quickly took the right turn... literally on CR102 crossin the Llano River to hit the gravel on CR104 along the river. We rode gravel to CR103 then back on 152 to Castell... & up to Hwy 29 then FM1600 & 26...? to FM386 & Fredoniawhere the other pics came from... Someone else got a pic of the Post Office sign with a bumper sticker underneath.... a good one!
No more pics before lunch since we were blastin back east on 71 to Valley Spring & CR403 south to 29 ...... & Stonewalls ..... wait for it.......BEFORE 11!
(I'm slippin...)

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
I do hav a suggestion concerning the need of having an after ride thread.... (& why is this one in the dual sport section???).... Keep the original thread from UPCOMING RIDES SECTION & just move it completely to the STORYTELLING SECTION.....

jus my thoughts on keeping all posts intact from start to finish

I had a outstanding time at this years Strom-a-thon. Thanks to Lee for organizing it just enough to have an great event. I followed Rod's group Friday through some amazing twisty roads with beautiful scenery. Rod's encyclopedic knowledge of the Hill Country roads is a treasure. Bemmerless Bob's video of him dunking his GS in the James River Crossing convinced me not to try it on my KLR. I needed it to get home. But he did let me and Carolyn use his Ural to do a back and forth on the slippery limestone river bed. The Ural made a successful crossing a cinch. Earlier I waded out to help an overly optimistic GSA rider pick up his bike twice. It restarted every time and he did eventually make it across. It was slippery enough just walking. Rod's Sunday morning ride was also a great one. I appreciated his restrained speed since I was using all of my KLR's 36 HP to keep up. The wee-strom's are amazing machines. Same displacement, seems like twice the horsepower, great handling, what's not to like.

Last edited:

Dao

OK I'm sold...no James River crossing on my vstrom for now.

BTW, was James River as deep (last weekend) as in BBob's video?

This was another fantastic Stromathon! I'm looking forward to number three! It was great to visit with old friends and to make new ones. And the riding, of course, was the icing on the cake! It took me a few days to get my pictures uploaded:

Friday I did the obligatory pilgrimage, which I had somehow failed to do until now, to the Three Sisters. On the way there I crossed a river:

001s_zpsqdljsjmr.jpg

Stopped by the Telegraph Store & Post Office in Kimble County on US-377. It looks like gas hasn't been sold here in a while...

002s_zpsq8f1wiib.jpg

Then I rode the sisters and took Bullhead road (gravel, through the ranches) between 335 and 336 (it's a perfect V-Strom road :). It ended up being a 340 mile day by the time I got back to Llano through Medina and Fredericksburg.

Night in the park:

003s_zpsfafpbjmg.jpg

Saturday our group rode the Click Ranch gravel roads (Thanks, Brian, for leading!). Stopped at Harry's on the Willow City Loop:

201_zpshjugywhh.jpg

Willow City Loop:

202_zpsr8fgoxim.jpg

More Willow City:

203_zpscqwvvnfl.jpg

The afternoon ended (after the 70 min wait for lunch in Llano) at the Castel General Store where StrokedNBored experimented with various tire plug options:

204_zpsoap69vzx.jpg

Sunday morning at the photo shoot: Thank you Donna for taking and sharing the great pictures of the gathered Stroms & Friends! And here are a couple of 'behind the scenes' shots:

205_zpstxcnkcc7.jpg

206_zpsiaxfooy6.jpg

207_zpspb1gyl2n.jpg

Then Josh (Vfaame) suggested we go explore the Regency Bridge. We did (great idea, Josh!). The boards on the bridge were super slick, but the bridge made for some fantastic shots:

104j_zpsdruqselg.jpg

105j_zps2gxwjm2m.jpg

107j%20-%20large_zpss7wwdtz5.jpg

005s_zpszndouma0.jpg

004s_zpsttoxuapk.jpg

From there the ride back to Dallas involved wide open highways:

006s_zpsyds5lpjb.jpg

And Texas oddities (Somewhere on FM 217, west of Valley Mills):

208_zps9ex2nbey.jpg

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
... & with just a bit of embellishin.......

This was another fantastic Stromathon! I'm looking forward to number three! It was great to visit with old friends and to make new ones. And the riding, of course, was the icing on the cake! It took me a few days to get my pictures uploaded:

Friday I did the obligatory pilgrimage, which I had somehow failed to do until now, to the Three Sisters. On the way there I crossed a river:

001s_zpsqdljsjmr.jpg

[MR2MCH..Prob either of the Llano River crossings on RR1871 or RR385 NE of Junction...?? Am I rite?]

Stopped by the Telegraph Store & Post Office in Kimble County on US-377. It looks like gas hasn't been sold here in a while...

002s_zpsq8f1wiib.jpg

Then I rode the sisters and took Bullhead road (gravel, through the ranches) between 335 and 336 (it's a perfect V-Strom road :). It ended up being a 340 mile day by the time I got back to Llano through Medina and Fredericksburg.

Night in the park:

003s_zpsfafpbjmg.jpg

Saturday our group rode the Click Ranch gravel roads (Thanks, Brian, for leading!). Stopped at Harry's on the Willow City Loop:

[MR2MCH Llano CRs 310 & 315.... between 71 & 16 south of town]

201_zpshjugywhh.jpg

Willow City Loop:

202_zpsr8fgoxim.jpg

More Willow City:

203_zpscqwvvnfl.jpg

The afternoon ended (after the 70 min wait for lunch in Llano) at the Castel General Store where StrokedNBored experimented with various tire plug options:

204_zpsoap69vzx.jpg

Sunday morning at the photo shoot: Thank you Donna for taking and sharing the great pictures of the gathered Stroms & Friends! And here are a couple of 'behind the scenes' shots:

205_zpstxcnkcc7.jpg

206_zpsiaxfooy6.jpg

207_zpspb1gyl2n.jpg

Then Josh (Vfaame) suggested we go explore the Regency Bridge. We did (great idea, Josh!). The boards on the bridge were super slick, but the bridge made for some fantastic shots:

104j_zpsdruqselg.jpg

105j_zps2gxwjm2m.jpg

107j%20-%20large_zpss7wwdtz5.jpg

005s_zpszndouma0.jpg

004s_zpsttoxuapk.jpg

From there the ride back to Dallas involved wide open highways:

006s_zpsyds5lpjb.jpg

[MR2MCH Hopefully ya took FM574 into Golthwaite & either FM2005 or.. preferably FM572 headed east outta Golthwaite]

And Texas oddities (Somewhere on FM 217, west of Valley Mills):

208_zps9ex2nbey.jpg
[MR2MCH Ahhhh Mosheim...the old school building.... Welcome to the Mosheim
(which one's Pink)....KamLeeR's place is just down the road from there on Hog Creek!]

Last edited: