• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strom a Thon 2015 in the book

I was only there Saturday afternoon to Sunday. Great weather and great set up all the way around.
I have to say, the shirt this year is one of the best material, color and graphics that I have ever earned. I will actually wear this one often. I probably have a hundred "ride" shirts and they are never this good.
The restaurant on Saturday afternoon was awesome too.
Looking forward to next year.

So how'd you earn that shirt, homie?
I saw others earned their shirts by cracking open their wallet and pulling out the greens?

Re: Strom-A-Thon and Others 2015 May 1-2-3

Great riding with a Great bunch of Folks!!! I managed to get in with Rod's group Friday morning and had a great time ... Nice pace combined with his phenomenal navigational skills make for a fun time. I left the group about noon to ride with Granmaw. I took her on many of the roads we had ridden that morning but managed to miss the water crossings fortunately. Thanks to a wrong turn we wound up in the Hill country metro mess of Fredericksburg and had a cheap lunch from HEB (Grandmaws favorite store)
Did the Willow City Loop on the way back which was surprisingly uncrowded and always fun when not infested with slow moving pirates. We hit Eckert, the Crabapples, Welgehausen, 111, and 2323 back to camp which was about enough riding for a couple of AARP qualifiers.
Saturday our destination was Mason. We went west to Castell and North to 29 then north on RR1900 then West on RR2618 to RR386 and south to Mason ... Beautiful country!
9322aef8564eab5fbddb8855bfc26113.jpg
. What a Big well planned beautifully maintained courthouse an square! From there we went up to the site of Fort Mason, high ground for sure!
0f98fc0af64d524a55207eaf2835c06c.jpg

From there we headed toward the James River road but took Simmonsville rd. instead as it came out closer to Doss. Granmaw (a schoolteacher) is enamored with the two teacher school in Doss. Turned off on Langes mill road where we took our most expensive picture.
a5c756bc5be2d3ff9f41068acbbb9e7e.jpg
. Went to the feed store in Doss for a cool drink in the shade of the porch where Debra interrogated a local couple about the Doss school for about thirty minutes. After a run back to Mason for fuel we went to Castell for a late lunch of brisket and pork loin on the porch.
8ee96e2aa49a6d9839137577ea9c2b6f.jpg
. I enjoyed socializing at the Badu while Granmaw vegetated at camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So how'd you earn that shirt, homie?
I saw others earned their shirts by cracking open their wallet and pulling out the greens?

Same way. Just riding and paying :giveup:

SantaFeTrailer heading off into the sunset.

Enjoyed riding with you! Good to see you made it home safely, even if it was in the middle of the night.

Attachments

• DSC05698_TWTEX.jpg
    DSC05698_TWTEX.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 272
I'm not sure why/how it happened like it did, but I think Vinny 'earned' my shirt for me.

Thanks, Vinny! I owe ya.

Donna,

Thanks for the great pics, I can now prove to my wife I was there.

And GRSA thanks for all the work you did on the T-shirts, greatly appreciated.

Had a great time with some great people.

[ame="http://youtu.be/qejgMxau0jc"]2015 Stromathon Llano. - YouTube[/ame]

Saturday ride with the one of a kind Mr2Mch.great thanks to him and Timbercat to which I owe so much of my awesome weekend.Had a great time with all!

cant remember when I've had so much fun riding. special thanks to rod for leading us on some great rides. If everyone enjoyed it 1/2 as much as me then I enjoyed it twice as much as you. And I know I drank too much beer cause Sunday everyone was talking about the trip to Big Bend we planned. When did that happen?

Thanx to all yall.... we had a great weekend of riding.... & didnt EVEN get close ta takin in all the fine fine roads that the area offers..... but theres always the next time.....

Without further adoo....
Fridays goatpath goins on
View attachment 33967
uploadfromtaptalk1430795355454.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430795412886.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430795554605.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430795634194.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430795452871.jpg
These are just a few of the ones I got on Friday
The pic with the bikes comin up the hill & around the curve was from Fulton Ranch Rd near San Marcos... low water crossing is Little Arkansas Rd between Fulton & Flite Acres Rd.

Last edited:
It was really great to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones.
Its hard to have more good times that a solid weekend of riding with some friends.

I'm terrible with names, but the guys from Killeen Tx that came out for the first time and rode dirt with a few of us Saturday - Great to meet you, i'll get a better thought out plan for a route next time. (hopefully avoiding a 70 minute wait for a burger at lunch)

DerrickJ - who we ran into at Harrys on the Loop - awesome custom Matte Green Tenere - look forward to seeing you again.

The "Crew" who provided emotional support and a tire plug at Castell - thanks again. I ordered one of those StopnGo kits. That thing works beautifully.

Rod and Lee - Excellent job again. My helmet is off to you guys.

Now...How about a few from our Saturday goatpaths galore...

First pic is from the high S curve behind Enchanted Rock on CR111/Keese Rd
Second is still Keese Rd ... the low water crossing just off FM965 & Gypsum Mine Rd.
Two were stops for the numerous bluish purple flower fields (lupens?) dotting the countryside west & NW of Fredericksburg
Last pic is from Centerpoint Rd.... The little pond on the creek down south getting close to RR1341 & Comfort.

Attachments

• Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 033.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 033.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 029.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 029.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 257
  • Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 035.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 035.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 028.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 028.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 252
  • Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 026.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 026.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
.... & finally.... Sunday mornin's pics from our highway blast to Castell & beyond...

We started off on RR152 but quickly took the right turn... literally on CR102 crossin the Llano River to hit the gravel on CR104 along the river. We rode gravel to CR103 then back on 152 to Castell... & up to Hwy 29 then FM1600 & 26...? to FM386 & Fredoniawhere the other pics came from... Someone else got a pic of the Post Office sign with a bumper sticker underneath.... a good one!
No more pics before lunch since we were blastin back east on 71 to Valley Spring & CR403 south to 29 ...... & Stonewalls ..... wait for it.......BEFORE 11!
(I'm slippin...)

Attachments

• Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 037.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 037.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 039.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 039.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 040.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 040.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 041.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 041.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 249
  • Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 042.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 042.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
A man's home is his castle...... well... YES.... I guess so

The only good after lunch pic I got.... near Longhorn Caverns Park

Attachments

• Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 044.jpg
    Strom A Thon 2015 Pics 044.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 257
I do hav a suggestion concerning the need of having an after ride thread.... (& why is this one in the dual sport section???).... Keep the original thread from UPCOMING RIDES SECTION & just move it completely to the STORYTELLING SECTION.....

jus my thoughts on keeping all posts intact from start to finish

I had a outstanding time at this years Strom-a-thon. Thanks to Lee for organizing it just enough to have an great event. I followed Rod's group Friday through some amazing twisty roads with beautiful scenery. Rod's encyclopedic knowledge of the Hill Country roads is a treasure. Bemmerless Bob's video of him dunking his GS in the James River Crossing convinced me not to try it on my KLR. I needed it to get home. But he did let me and Carolyn use his Ural to do a back and forth on the slippery limestone river bed. The Ural made a successful crossing a cinch. Earlier I waded out to help an overly optimistic GSA rider pick up his bike twice. It restarted every time and he did eventually make it across. It was slippery enough just walking. Rod's Sunday morning ride was also a great one. I appreciated his restrained speed since I was using all of my KLR's 36 HP to keep up. The wee-strom's are amazing machines. Same displacement, seems like twice the horsepower, great handling, what's not to like.

Last edited:
I Bemmerless Bob's video of him dunking his GS in the James River Crossing convinced me not to try it on my KLR.

Where is that video?
Imma stupid...I need me some convincing:lol2:

OK I'm sold...no James River crossing on my vstrom for now.

BTW, was James River as deep (last weekend) as in BBob's video?

This was another fantastic Stromathon! I'm looking forward to number three! It was great to visit with old friends and to make new ones. And the riding, of course, was the icing on the cake! It took me a few days to get my pictures uploaded:

Friday I did the obligatory pilgrimage, which I had somehow failed to do until now, to the Three Sisters. On the way there I crossed a river:

001s_zpsqdljsjmr.jpg

Stopped by the Telegraph Store & Post Office in Kimble County on US-377. It looks like gas hasn't been sold here in a while...

002s_zpsq8f1wiib.jpg

Then I rode the sisters and took Bullhead road (gravel, through the ranches) between 335 and 336 (it's a perfect V-Strom road :). It ended up being a 340 mile day by the time I got back to Llano through Medina and Fredericksburg.

Night in the park:

003s_zpsfafpbjmg.jpg

Saturday our group rode the Click Ranch gravel roads (Thanks, Brian, for leading!). Stopped at Harry's on the Willow City Loop:

201_zpshjugywhh.jpg

Willow City Loop:

202_zpsr8fgoxim.jpg

More Willow City:

203_zpscqwvvnfl.jpg

The afternoon ended (after the 70 min wait for lunch in Llano) at the Castel General Store where StrokedNBored experimented with various tire plug options:

204_zpsoap69vzx.jpg

Sunday morning at the photo shoot: Thank you Donna for taking and sharing the great pictures of the gathered Stroms & Friends! And here are a couple of 'behind the scenes' shots:

205_zpstxcnkcc7.jpg

206_zpsiaxfooy6.jpg

207_zpspb1gyl2n.jpg

Then Josh (Vfaame) suggested we go explore the Regency Bridge. We did (great idea, Josh!). The boards on the bridge were super slick, but the bridge made for some fantastic shots:

104j_zpsdruqselg.jpg

105j_zps2gxwjm2m.jpg

107j%20-%20large_zpss7wwdtz5.jpg

005s_zpszndouma0.jpg

004s_zpsttoxuapk.jpg

From there the ride back to Dallas involved wide open highways:

006s_zpsyds5lpjb.jpg

And Texas oddities (Somewhere on FM 217, west of Valley Mills):

208_zps9ex2nbey.jpg

... & with just a bit of embellishin.......

This was another fantastic Stromathon! I'm looking forward to number three! It was great to visit with old friends and to make new ones. And the riding, of course, was the icing on the cake! It took me a few days to get my pictures uploaded:

Friday I did the obligatory pilgrimage, which I had somehow failed to do until now, to the Three Sisters. On the way there I crossed a river:

001s_zpsqdljsjmr.jpg

[MR2MCH..Prob either of the Llano River crossings on RR1871 or RR385 NE of Junction...?? Am I rite?]

Stopped by the Telegraph Store & Post Office in Kimble County on US-377. It looks like gas hasn't been sold here in a while...

002s_zpsq8f1wiib.jpg

Then I rode the sisters and took Bullhead road (gravel, through the ranches) between 335 and 336 (it's a perfect V-Strom road :). It ended up being a 340 mile day by the time I got back to Llano through Medina and Fredericksburg.

Night in the park:

003s_zpsfafpbjmg.jpg

Saturday our group rode the Click Ranch gravel roads (Thanks, Brian, for leading!). Stopped at Harry's on the Willow City Loop:

[MR2MCH Llano CRs 310 & 315.... between 71 & 16 south of town]

201_zpshjugywhh.jpg

Willow City Loop:

202_zpsr8fgoxim.jpg

More Willow City:

203_zpscqwvvnfl.jpg

The afternoon ended (after the 70 min wait for lunch in Llano) at the Castel General Store where StrokedNBored experimented with various tire plug options:

204_zpsoap69vzx.jpg

Sunday morning at the photo shoot: Thank you Donna for taking and sharing the great pictures of the gathered Stroms & Friends! And here are a couple of 'behind the scenes' shots:

205_zpstxcnkcc7.jpg

206_zpsiaxfooy6.jpg

207_zpspb1gyl2n.jpg

Then Josh (Vfaame) suggested we go explore the Regency Bridge. We did (great idea, Josh!). The boards on the bridge were super slick, but the bridge made for some fantastic shots:

104j_zpsdruqselg.jpg

105j_zps2gxwjm2m.jpg

107j%20-%20large_zpss7wwdtz5.jpg

005s_zpszndouma0.jpg

004s_zpsttoxuapk.jpg

From there the ride back to Dallas involved wide open highways:

006s_zpsyds5lpjb.jpg

[MR2MCH Hopefully ya took FM574 into Golthwaite & either FM2005 or.. preferably FM572 headed east outta Golthwaite]

And Texas oddities (Somewhere on FM 217, west of Valley Mills):

208_zps9ex2nbey.jpg

[MR2MCH Ahhhh Mosheim...the old school building.... Welcome to the Mosheim
(which one's Pink)....KamLeeR's place is just down the road from there on Hog Creek!]

Last edited:
Back