• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strom-A-Thon Texas 2014 May 2-4 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was enough snow & ice this winter that I'm hoping for a good wildflower year. We'll know in a few weeks. As for a group picture, there will be miles of wildflowers along 29 between Burnett and Llano. Now if you're talking about a place large enough to park all our bikes in the wildflowers, I'd recommend exploring Park Road 4, anywhere from Inks Lake all the way back to Hwy 281. I found some pretty fair sized accessible fields along that road two springs ago when I was down there. Be sure to bring a kickstand puck unless you want to watch your VStrom slowly sink over onto its left side and disappear into the weeds.

BTW, I'll have a tripod with me, so we can conceivably get everybody into the picture.

Would be really nice to have a group photo. Now if we can only find a field of wildflower as THE place. I can tell you, we need rain now to have much chance for the abundance of wild flowers that area is known for.

And I don't want you to feel inadequate so bring your title along and we can just do a trade, right there on the spot. Whatcha think of deem apples. :-)))))

ATGATT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willow city loop isn't that far away and is often beautiful that time of year.

You are welcome to ride it.

You won't have to offer twice. :trust: Seriously, as much as I love my VStrom, I'm looking at a point a couple of years out when I can do some longer tours, and I'll probably want a younger bike at that point. The new Stroms are also on the (very short) list, but man, I've read a lot of good stuff about the Tiger 800. Right now, the only other bike that might even be on my radar is a Beemer twin, i.e. the F800GS.

[QUOTE

Funny, the tiger makes me feel inadequate![/QUOTE]

ya'll don't believe that for a minute. Brad rides that thing like it is a second skin.

CONCERNING ROUTES FOR STROM A THON 2014:

Rather than spending valuable time compiling & posting routes (I'm pretty much spoken for with family obligations right now) I think the Butler folks have covered almost all the bases for various types of roads in the general area. All ya'll need ta do is refer to the Texas Hill Country map for highlighted "special" paved roads... whether it's an FM/RM/RR or a County Road.

http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle-Road-Maps/15/Texas-Hill-Country-Map

The map also has many non paved CRs shown (not highlighted) of which ..some are red dotted lines.. some are black. The red dotted lines mean that the road has been ridden by the Butler folks & found to be a good one. The black dotted lines mean that other folks have ridden & suggested that road.

Lots of other good info on the maps too... restaurants & motels(w/phone numbers)...points of interest...GPS coordinates...& much more.

I'll be offering the maps (the whole catalog) at special pricing for the Strom A Thon in case you don't already have one. Hopefully the new 3rd Edition will be out by the time the rally starts. It has a few additions/updates/corrections but is generally the same as before (2nd Ed) 1st Ed didn't have the non paved roads listed.

1 MAP @ $14 ...2 for $25 ...3 for $35 ...4 for $45...

Let me know how many maps ya need via PM & I'll make a list to have em at the Strom A Thon.

THANX TO THE GOOD FOLKS AT BUTLER FOR THE SPECIAL PRICING

...Hopefully the new 3rd Edition will be out by the time the rally starts. It has a few additions/updates/corrections but is generally the same as before (2nd Ed) 1st Ed didn't have the non paved roads listed...

When you get a release date on the 3rd Edition please post back here. I'm tempted to buy early now but would rather wait and have the latest edition as dont plan on updating it again ever. If not released a week or two prior to event I would want to get the current edition for route planning like you mentioned above. I want to plot out a mellow dirt route for one of my days there.

_

I used to live in Llano back in the 80's. Pretty area to ride in the Spring. It'll be worth the trip to meet some fellow Strommers and have some Cooper's BBQ. I'm in. My wife may come, but she'll be on her Spyder. So this will be a pavement-only trip for me. Spyders do not respond well to extended off-road situations.

I think there will be enough attending that we'll have multiple ride groups each day depending on your riding preference.

I see it breaking up something like this:
Pavement Twisters - brisk pace hitting all the best twisties and scenic areas
Flower Sniffers - laid back, stop, photo, talk about what's for dinner
Dirt Smellers - gravel and dirt roads. Difficulty level depends on rainfall prior to

Myself I will try and map out a Dirt Smelling route for Saturday. Sunday I would like to do a Pavement Twisting route. Or flip flop the days. But I've never been there and I dont know the area at all so would be forced to use the Butler Map for routes. Anyone with first hand knowledge of the roads please please bump me out any route planning. I'm a better follower than leader anyway.

_

CONCERNING ROUTES FOR STROM A THON 2014:

THANX TO THE GOOD FOLKS AT BUTLER FOR THE SPECIAL PRICING

Rod I have had mine for a couple years. It may be a 1st gen. Is there a easy way to tell which I have? I'll also take the new one for sure .

ATGATT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee... On the 1st Ed Butler Hill Country maps.... there were no dotted lines for non paved county roads.... only the highlighted pavement goodies. The 2nd Ed which is current... has the dotted lines for gravel. 3rd will be much the same with only a few corrections (most between 281 & 35 toward Wimberly
....& a couple of additional paved roads to show.

I think there will be enough attending that we'll have multiple ride groups each day depending on your riding preference.

Dirt Smellers - gravel and dirt roads. Difficulty level depends on rainfall prior to
_

I can see myself falling into either groups 1 & 2, just depending on what presents itself. I'll be down there in April with Kickstand-Prophet, so hopefully I'll have gotten my major photo ops for the year already.

Myself I will try and map out a Dirt Smelling route for Saturday. Sunday I would like to do a Pavement Twisting route. Or flip flop the days. But I've never been there and I dont know the area at all so would be forced to use the Butler Map for routes. Anyone with first hand knowledge of the roads please please bump me out any route planning. I'm a better follower than leader anyway.

_

Nice thing about this area of Texas is we have all these options on any day.
yrubeqeq.jpg

Ah - Didn't realize that was being kept up. Thanks.

come-on-man_o_1094311_zps8b08986c.jpg
.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

:duck:

I'm a definite maybe for Sat and Sun, probably camping since I'm a lot younger than Lee.......

PS, posted the KLR on TWT tonight Lee.

I'm a definite maybe for Sat and Sun, probably camping since I'm a lot younger than Lee.......

PS, posted the KLR on TWT tonight Lee.

Haaaaaaa, you may be younger but you are still old..... ?
Good luck on selling the KLR....... Bet you someone needs it for Big Bend...

GRSA (Glen) and I will be out there on Friday. Glen made hotel reservations yesterday.

I noticed I am on the list twice (lowercase and uppercase, but not CamelCase). Will only be riding one bike (wee). This looks like it is shaping up to be a good time. Brad and I will be leaving Houston on Friday if anyone else from this area wants to join.
Cheers.

I noticed I am on the list twice (lowercase and uppercase, but not CamelCase). Will only be riding one bike (wee). This looks like it is shaping up to be a good time. Brad and I will be leaving Houston on Friday if anyone else from this area wants to join.
Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up. Corrected I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back