• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stubbs...

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Schmidt
Gotta get the bike into the shop. Battery is not charging. Hopoefully, it's just a voltage regulator or stator unit, but time and space constraints are making a trip to the shop the easiest option. That said, any one have anything positive or negative to say about the service dept. and mechanics at Stubbs on 59?

Thanks Ya'll!

No experience with the location on 59 but I can say I don't trust the service department at the Telephone road location. They didn't my bike together properly and I ended up blowing oil out all over the engine, pipe and pants leg :evil: It also left a puddle oil on the garage floor.

When I took it back to them they want me to leave it for the day. I refused. It took hours for them to figure out that it was a problem with the breather valve. (Patrick told me what it was likely to be over th phone) The best they would do to "make up for it" was to give me free labor on my first service. I only took it back to them then because I thought they should have to fix their own mistakes and that I should not have to pay for someone else to do that.

My SV has not been to their shop since (1yr).

No personal experience, but they don't have a very good reputation (either location). Seem to cater to squids\stuntaz at the 59 location and Lifestylers at the Telephone location. Their used bikes look questionable. I occasionally stop in to get silk glove liners about twice a year because they aren't too far away.

I've only used them for parts (oil, filters, misc. bolts, etc.), so I have nothing to say about their service Dept.

I can say, however, that if you have the time to get there, I would absolutely recommend Richmond Suzuki (further down 59) for service. I brought my SV there for the 600 & 12k service, and I wouldn't hesitate to bring the Strom there.

I bought three bikes from them.

:tab On the first, they did not give me the rear seat cowling and griped when I made them come up with one. Since the bike was a 98 and I bought it in 2000, they were supposed to replace all the fluids: brake, oil, and clutch. They checked it off on the chart as having been done but when I started looking things over after getting the bike home, it was obvious that they had not done any of it. I had to take the bike all the way back down to Houston and they reluctantly agreed to do the service properly at no charge, all the while acting like they were doing me a huge favor. Even after they replaced all the fluids, I still had to go back and bleed the brakes and clutch myself :angryfir:

:tab Being a slow learning, we bought Beth's SV650S there a year later because they had such a smoking deal on it. No problems with the SV650S, but I never took it to them for service.

:tab The third was my 01 VFR. Again, they made the best deal on price. However, they stripped some bolts when installing the windscreen after uncrating the bike. They tried to pretend it had not happened and hoped I would take the bike home without noticing it. When I did notice it, I realized that they had destroyed the threads in the female section. This section is part of the entire front fairing and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire front fairing for $450. They tried to get out of it. Then they wanted me to bring the bike back do let them do the replacement after the new fairing came in. Since I live two hours away I declined and insisted they ship the new piece to me and I would install it properly, which I did :roll: Have never been back since.

Adios,

Wow... OK then, anyone know of a good, HONEST, QUALIFIED wrench out in west Houston / Katy area? I don't think I can make more than about a 30 minute ride with the battery not charging.

paul14814 said:
HONEST, QUALIFIED wrench out in west Houston / Katy area?

Wild West Honda,BMW(ect...)
Should be right at your doorstep on I-10.

From my experiance their SERVICE department has some really good, qualified guys there....honest as well.
Their SALES/PARTS department, I do not care for. I generally bypass those guys any chance I can, and deal directly with the service department. They even have a seperate entrance/office for use on the east side of the building.

P.S.
I've had/seen shady dealings with Stubbs as well

Texian said:

From my experiance their SERVICE department has some really good, qualified guys there....honest as well.

I know a few people that get their bikes serviced there. Always happy with the work they get.

paul14814 said:
Wow... OK then, anyone know of a good, HONEST, QUALIFIED wrench out in west Houston / Katy area? I don't think I can make more than about a 30 minute ride with the battery not charging.

Go see Kevin Stasny at KS Cycle Works on old Hwy 90 in Katy about 1/4 mile east of Polaris West. He's always done good work at a fair price on my bikes. Kevin's phone number is 281-391-4131.

My first bike was a Suzuki which I took to Stubbs on 59 a couple of times for service (because it was nearby and because I didn't know any better). After I wised up, I took it to Rusty at Houston Kawasaki for service. Yes, that's right, a Kawasaki dealership gave me better service than a Suzuki one for my Suzuki bike :-? This was almost ten years ago, but the last time I checked, their service manager is one of the same techs that worked in the dept. when I first went there. Which really doesn't inspire my confidence.

Their SALES/PARTS department, I do not care for.

I've dealt with both Wild West' sales and service department, and have never had any problems with either of them. The individuals in their sales/parts counter are always friendly and fairly helpful (at least to me).

For service on the west side, it would either be Wild West or KS Cycle Works as Paul mentioned. Or Metric Motorcycles in the Heights if you feel your bike can make the distance.

-Frank

The problem with Stubbs is that they don't carry any parts inventory. So when your bike is getting serviced, it can take two or three days just for them to order a crush washer (which they probably won't and just re-use the old one) as well as any other items that you might need.

The workaround is to go in personally (because most places won't pre-order over the phone) and order all the parts you may need for the service. Then when they come in you go back, with your bike, and leave it for the service. Not a very good way to do business, so I would avoid them.

There are lots of reputable folks out there - Metric Motorcycles, Wild West, etc. I would stay away from Stubbs.

I would also recommend Richmond Suzuki.
Bought the bike from them, there were easy and clear to deal with and have taken it back once for service.

CDC
Katy TX

Allright... Well, I contacted Kevin @ KS Cycleworks; He couldn't get it into the shop for a week, and then a week or more for the parts, then another couple of days from there. They have to store bikes outside (fenced in area) for the duration. There's a no go at KS.

Wild West will not work on Suzuki's if they need parts. So, nothing more than oil change and maybe plugs.

I figured; How bad could Stubbs screw it up, all they have to do is check the charging system, right?

Well, I get it back 3.5 freakin' frackin' hours later (needed a battery charge), and $40.00 later to tell me he *thinks* it needs a rectifier unit, but is not sure that will solve the problem. So, I'm on my way home, and the bike starts sputtering. Look down and notice the choke cable has fallen from it's socket, and no screw present.

I call Stubbs and am told that "I didn't even touch the cable".

Get back, raise the tank, and notice a molex looking plug just hanging there. Guess they didn't touch that either.

Most noteworthy, was when I saw the plug at the end of the wires that come from the rectifier unit and run through the battery compartment... yup, it was UN freakin' PLUGGED!

Aaaargh!

Next time the group majority warns me about one of these delearships and you think I'm heading over, swing by and drop a sledge-hammer on my left foot!

Back