• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Sturgis 2019

misterk

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Well this won’t really be a ride report, but I will post if I see something interesting.

I leave Saturday Aug. 3 about 7:30pm. my buddies left today [emoji35]!

we have a college graduation to attend Saturday.

I will go about 5 hours and hang my hammock somewhere for about 5-6 hours. Sunday evening I should arrive. I have no idea how I am going, this is my 15th year in a row, so I will probably zig zag north and west. I think I have gone every way imaginable.

Be there till Friday morning then head to Colorado and ride some dirt roads and camp a couple of days.

Here is my spot tracker

Iron butt eatery

cc0d95ed2fdf3c3eda4f0c86a0027c35.jpg

Sunday: left Wellington ks, about 6 am and arrived at sturgis sd about 5:30pm. Great riding day

About 30 miles south of Valentine ne water on road

9cfbade7d2295c9979c596b5d83df77c.jpg

869aaffcfb11fc77c637fda36142b47c.jpg

I almost got wit

040c1d6c48819cb7d0b3f54954c390dc.jpg

East of the badlands

856d3e608b68e06f750f97b1cd789b68.jpg

Met a buddy for dinner, came out and my rear tire was at 23#s.

My tape came loose on the tubeless conversation. Put tube in and I am done with the tape.

81f47f0bb10137859b801cd50d963980.jpg

I wonder who this guy is voting for

d2083ebc2a6fa611ab477e65b8420ee1.jpg

Gary and I rode quite a bit of dirt yesterday and did Needles Highway.

Cool trip, thanks for sharing. Bummer on the tubeless, I couldn't get it work well on my AT either. Guess you could invest in some of those aftermarket tubeless wheels for it.

My Harley buddy asked me if I wanted to ride up there with him in 2020. I'm considering it.

What's there to do at Sturgis for non-1%'ers?

I've never been to Sturgis either and even though it doesn't seem to be my scene I wonder if I'm missing out not trying it at least once.

Kevin, what were you telling me about not taking your time and just throwing the tape on real quick?

There are lots of people that have done tubeless very successfully. You must be having a process problem with your application. I had an installation issue with my Outex setup on the rear that has been corrected, but the front has worked perfect from day one of installation. A couple grand will get you some Alpina wheels.

As much time, money, sweat and miles he has into that bike, what's another coupla grand to ensure he never has to yank that rear wheel off on the side of the road again.

Kevin, what were you telling me about not taking your time and just throwing the tape on real quick?

There are lots of people that have done tubeless very successfully. You must be having a process problem with your application. I had an installation issue with my Outex setup on the rear that has been corrected, but the front has worked perfect from day one of installation. A couple grand will get you some Alpina wheels.

Yes I did hurry the installation. But I can put a rear tube on in 30 minutes, so what am I really trying to avoid? All I know is I have put on two rear tubes, during a major trip on side of the road and I never got a puncture [emoji23].

I am done with tubeless, changing tubes is no big deal.

I've never been to Sturgis either and even though it doesn't seem to be my scene I wonder if I'm missing out not trying it at least once.

Sturgis is what a person makes of it. We have done over 100 miles of awesome dirt roads and not seen one motorcycle.

7dbfccc2a13fe1828d76e79db908a5b1.jpg

0e6ece350cc91620baf91df54b52f904.jpg

b2c47c0e70a0e22ba288ee4a1f0c16df.jpg

b407c64af944bc124ebb2312d3da7cab.jpg

Cool trip, thanks for sharing. Bummer on the tubeless, I couldn't get it work well on my AT either. Guess you could invest in some of those aftermarket tubeless wheels for it.

My Harley buddy asked me if I wanted to ride up there with him in 2020. I'm considering it.

What's there to do at Sturgis for non-1%'ers?

Sturgis is a big celebration of motorcycles. Gary and I spend most afternoons sitting on a turn out on iron mountain road after one of the tunnels just watching the different folks.

It is the first tunnel going south to north that when you come through you see Rushmore.

If you want a party scene, you will find it, if you want great spirited road riding, don’t go to the neat roads till after 5. If you want to ride some well maintained dirt roads, you have the entire black hills to yourself during sturgis.

If you want some sketchy single or double track for a little dual sport bike you will find it.

If you want 65-80 degree riding weather in August you will find it.

I have done this thing for 15 years and it is always a great trip.

You're definitely swinging the needle towards going. I don't mind people watching at all and I've been know to throw down a beer or two at a bike rally I just don't want that to be the only game in town. Riding around in a chain of motorcycles is probably one of my least favorite biking activities.

Last edited:
While I've never been to the Sturgess rally, I have ridden the roads up there. The riding was amazing! Looking at Kevin's spotwalla link he posted in the first post, it appears he has skillfully avoided those roads. If you go during the rally, its probably the smart move. Those roads are probably choked with slow moving cruisers with hungover riders looking for the next bar. Or traffic jams caused by wrecks of those same riders.

You should plan to go and ride the Black Hills of SD. I just wouldn't go during that time. Probably early September is perfect. Families will be gone. Just seniors in RVs to contend with on the roads. Its all about the riding...

Btw, next year is the 80th anniversary, it will be
Packed like the 75th, 70th and 65th.

2021 will be a year like this year.

Nice! Did you have problems finding open campsites? This one has services.

This was all primitive, you had to go down a dirt road about 5 miles. No Harley’s would be found back there.

One can always find campsites during sturgis at the commercial camp grounds or people’s houses.

Back