• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Summer ride to Glacier National

ed29

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Hegarty
I will be riding out of Terlingua in the near future heading to Glacier National Park. Along the way I have stops planed in Salida, at Mt. Rushmore, Devil's Tower, and generally exploring the Black Hills, some of Wyoming and Montana. The ride up and back will be back roads as much as possible as I have a generous time allowance.

Tim's ride report added some campgrounds along the way and re-enforced one of my choices for a route. A suggestion was made about posting up looking for more good scenic byways along the way, so if you have favorite towns, twisty roads, campgrounds or other must see features I should look for or head to please post them up here. The ride back south can take a different route, so my potential ride corridor is wide.

My ride for this trip is an R12GS so bad pavement and gravel stretches are welcome.

Thanks!

As you are going North through CO, you might want to make a detour closer to Denver and ride up Mt. Evans. Then on your way after that, go through Winter Park as that road is pretty darn cool, and that will take you into RMNP. Through there, into Estes Park, and keep going till you get to Co Rd 27 going North. Take that till you get to 14, and go West. From there you have options, either North into WY at Walden, or further West then turn North.

And if you really want to take a detour, the Wolfman Luggage boys are in Longmont CO and are some of the nicest people in the motorcycling industry.

And while you are up in Montana, ride Beartooth Pass (twice). You won't regret it.

Thanks Bill, I have those added to my maps. Along the way I see a Chief Joseph Scenic byway from outside of Cody to the Beartooth Highway. Hope there is some snowmelt before I get there. As of yesterday Beartooth was closed. I am betting it will open before I get there. Betting my time and fuel anyway.

Chief Joseph is one heck of a good ride. If you have time to kill in Cody, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West (and firearms museum) is a can't miss.

After Mt. Evans I would take 72 north through Nederland to Estes Park. The Peak to Peak highway winds along the front range and, like many of the CO mountain roads, is amazing. From Estes Park you can ride Trail Ridge Road both ways and then 36 back to Longmont if you want to hit up Wolfman. Longmont is my childhood hometown ;-). If you choose not to go to Longmont, 34 to Loveland is another fantastic canyon road along the Big Thompson river. Hard to take a wrong turn in the CO mountains.

Back