• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sunday brunch at The Lodge

klrno2

Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
We left the house early Sunday morning under bright sunny skies, cold winds and a 30% chance of snow. We rode some familiar roads through La Luz canyon and explored some new side roads in the Lincoln National Forest. We've taken pictures from here before, but continue hoping to better capture the beauty...
60603067-M.jpg

60603074-M.jpg

60603111-M.jpg

Here's some shots from the bike, some vistas and some action shots...
60603277-M.jpg

60603261-M.jpg

We've posted pictures from here before, but...still like it.
60603297-M.jpg

I could pee on his house from here.:D
60603289-M.jpg

Some nice curves...
60603270-M.jpg

and hills...
60603148-M.jpg

After a particularly steep and rocky hill, I hear a funny noise. ZZzzzzzzz...
We stop and look over the bike, but it looks OK. So, we spin the front wheel, all seems OK, then we spin the back wheel, using the kickstand and ZZzzzzzz. Seems a rock had lodged between the chain and the countersprocket guard.
60603320-M.jpg

We started to get hungry, so it's time for Sunday brunch at The Lodge in Cloudcroft...mmmmmmm
28233392-M.jpg

Met an old friend in the lobby...
60603198-M-1.jpg

It's a pleasant place, with live entertainment by Bob Clark. Nice fella too.
60603206-M.jpg

Fresh linen even, but not for long...
60603202-M.jpg

And now, the buffet...
60603227-M.jpg

60603239-M.jpg

60603230-M.jpg

60603213-M.jpg

prime rib...mmmm bloody!
60603218-M-1.jpg

Meet Chef Jody...
60603222-M-1.jpg

He's a pastry Chef ladies...
60603237-M-1.jpg

Plate one... prime rib, baked salmon, smoked pork, garden salad, oriental slaw, potatoes and BACON !
"He has bacon with every meal, you can't DO that!"
60603243-M.jpg

Meet our server, Donna...she was very sweet.
60603245-M.jpg

Desert plate...blueberry bread pudding, chocolate mousse, and mousse parfait, with coffee.
60603247-M.jpg

And Bob the Piano man offered to take our photo toghether. Told ya he was a nice fella.
60603254-M.jpg

The restaurant is named Rebbeca's at The Lodge, after this lady here, who haunts the place to this day. Each of the employees have a ghostly tale to tell...
60603258-M.jpg

We loaded our full bellies onto the bikes under the bright sun and snow flurries with falling temperatures and took the long way home.
60603328-M.jpg

60603324-M.jpg

Until til next time...
60603126-M.jpg

Scooter n klrno2

Great report with fantastic photos!!! I gained 5 lbs just reading it.... :eat: ;-)

I now have a craving for smoked salmon.....
Excellent ride report to read on a soggy D/FW afternoon. Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Rebecca the ghost lady is hot too. :trust:

Man, you guys can pack it away! Buffets are never a good deal for me. I just can't eat enough in one sitting to make it worth it. Now if I could graze all day... :trust: Nice pics! Looks like you guys are really suffering out there :suicide:

Tourmeister said:
Man, you guys can pack it away! Buffets are never a good deal for me. I just can't eat enough in one sitting to make it worth it. Now if I could graze all day... :trust: Nice pics! Looks like you guys are really suffering out there :suicide:

I used to say the same thing TM, until I visited THAT buffet. The food, the atmoshpere, it's all sooooo good, that it's worth the price. Plus, we build up a pretty stout hunger riding in that atltitude.

Now I have to figure out how to get down the mountain to work, in 4 inches of snow, and it's still falling. :eek2:

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a great day! Quick question, on some of those pictures taken from the bike, was the camera on some kind of mount with a cable release or was that one handed point and shoot?

TejasFJR said:
Thanks for sharing, sounds like a great day! Quick question, on some of those pictures taken from the bike, was the camera on some kind of mount with a cable release or was that one handed point and shoot?

Tried and true one handed point and shoot.:doh: Don't try this at home. Make sure your miles away from home and and medical attention.:lol2:

Sandy, that's an AWESOME report! Now you and Bo need to convince Andy that my presence is needed out there!

Sandy I enjoyed the report, man the riding there seems even better than Clayton. I just got back from there and it was so cool, I loved the elevation changes, there is just not much of that down here in Houston. New Mexico looks like a place I would like to ride soon:rider:

gotdurt said:
Where were you riding in relation to Cloudcroft? (See my new post; http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8655 )

The lunch spot was in cloudcroft. Most of our riding was done in and around the LNF. As for a must see? Man all of it! Its awesome riding here! If you haven't already, check our "Texans in New Mexico" thread.

If you want somthing more specific, just let us know.

klrno2 said:
The lunch spot was in cloudcroft. Most of our riding was done in and around the LNF. As for a must see? Man all of it! Its awesome riding here! If you haven't already, check our "Texans in New Mexico" thread.

If you want somthing more specific, just let us know.
Sounds good. Tonight I'll try to provide a PDF of the tentative route on a map so you can see where I'm headed (or tell me to go elsewhere).

THATs not a rough road. This is a rough road!
R100RS.jpg

Note the suitable nature of the scooter about to conquer said 'road'. This was one of my more infamous 'short-cuts' while living in that area. Everything was fine until I was about 10 miles into it, then...and yes, I made it.

Last edited:
That looks like some of the stuff we were doing in Clayton last weekend, minus the low overhanging tree branches that were whacking us!

kocook said:
THATs not a rough road. This is a rough road!...This was one of my more infamous 'short-cuts' while living in that area. Everything was fine until I was about 10 miles into it, then...and yes, I made it.
:eek2:

You know you can't ever again criticize my choice of roads, don't you? :-P ;-)

Back