• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sunset, class, and new lens

I like the moon pics - have a Tim Burton kinda feel to them to me.

....and what was the most 'accurate' for the actual lighting you had? Was it on AUTO WB or on the user specified setting?

Doh! I didn't try one of the cookies in auto. Ugh. I think the poinsettia is better in the second image where I changed the light input. Neither is perfect.

There is too much yellow in the first picture of the cookies. The other image has a little too much blue, but is closer to accurate.

Jenn

Music

So, my poor children were just trying to practice their music ...

Attachments

• Practice2-13-16.jpg
    Practice2-13-16.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 275
  • Practice2-13-16b.jpg
    Practice2-13-16b.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 261
  • Practice2-13-16c.jpg
    Practice2-13-16c.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 273
Love the candids. Great to see kids doing something other than plugged into a phone!

Watch background clutter. Crop when you can, or try a shallower depth of field, if possible. Sometimes, just shifting a foot to the right or left can eliminate a background distraction.

Love the candids. Great to see kids doing something other than plugged into a phone!

Watch background clutter. Crop when you can, or try a shallower depth of field, if possible. Sometimes, just shifting a foot to the right or left can eliminate a background distraction.

Thanks, unfortunately they were at the kitchen counter with a messy table (all of Emily's homework) behind them. Gotta keep working on watching the full frame ... practice, practice, practice.

This one and the first of the other three probably have the least amount of background distraction.

Jennifer

Attachments

• Practice2-13-16d.jpg
    Practice2-13-16d.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 262
I took the liberty to do a little crop. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Practice2-13-16d (2).jpg
    Practice2-13-16d (2).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 275
:tab Candid shots are always tough because you have so little control over the scene. Like Gary said, sometimes a slight recomposing can take care of a specific issue, but not always. This is when it is nice to have the ability to go for the shallow depth of field. Even that is not always going to work though, especially if you have two or more people in the shot and their faces are not the same distance from the lens. It is very annoying to get one face perfectly focused and have the other one blurred :doh: Another option might be to use a bit of fill flash. Sometimes this will darken the background while making your subjects stand out. This lets you use a smaller aperture, like say f/8 to get a good depth of field. You do need to watch the flash level though because it is easy to get too much light on the subjects and create hot spots on them. You might pop a shot, check how it looks, then if your camera has the ability, dial down the flash power a bit if it is too hot.

You can always get the moon part right, then take a bright flashlight (like a Q-Beam) and as the shutter is open on the scene, go hit the trees with the light and bring them up. It's a hit or miss several times to get it right. Bill (DFW_Warrior) is the expert in the light-painting department here. :photo:

Tim Hutcherson (HutchPhoto, R.I.P. my friend) showed me how to light paint. I hadn't done it before nor even thought of it. It does take practice like anything else but is fun if you have the time.

Which composition do you like?

Jennifer

Attachments

• TurkeyTailMushroom.jpg
    TurkeyTailMushroom.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Obi_2_2_14-2016.jpg
    Obi_2_2_14-2016.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 275
  • Obi_1_2_14-2016.jpg
    Obi_1_2_14-2016.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 268
  • KLR_2_2-14-2016.jpg
    KLR_2_2-14-2016.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 258
  • KLR_1_2-14-2016.jpg
    KLR_1_2-14-2016.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 280
Yep, #5, I'm lichen it. Oh God, did I just type that? However, I see that it really is a mushroom, so my pun is not only bad, it is incorrect. I could wave my admin wand and make this post go away...or take my abuse.

I still like that photo the best though.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback, I like the mushrooms as well ... wasn't what I was hunting outside, but I liked the colors and textures :-)

there are two pics of your last set that I find very pleasing and well done. The mushrooms and the top of the kitties head.

Thanks! Scott and I were talking about the difference between a snapshot and a photograph ... so much to pay attention to at the same time when you aren't just pointing and clicking. I'm having fun playing and learning though.

Jennifer, here is my suggestion for #1. Since part of Mark was cut off, just crop in tighter. Make the focus of the picture what he is looking at more than him.

Attachments

• KLR_1_2-14-2016-edit.jpg
    KLR_1_2-14-2016-edit.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 257
Jennifer, here is my suggestion for #1. Since part of Mark was cut off, just crop in tighter. Make the focus of the picture what he is looking at more than him.

That was my thought exactly. I saw him looking at something and that immediately directed my eye to his hand.

Good point. I think I am still nervous about cropping too much ... thinking older cameras with less pixels and the impact on the final image. Need to remember that this camera is so much better than what I am used to :-)

Attachments

• KLR_3_2-14-2016.jpg
    KLR_3_2-14-2016.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 237
:tab I often crop images to remove things I should have cropped in the viewfinder when taking the shot. Also, there are times where I simply cannot get close enough to the subject to frame the image the way I want, so I may crop it later. How much you can get away with cropping and its impact on final image quality really depends on what you plan to do with the image. For the attachments you've been doing, you'd have to do a pretty serious crop before it would significantly affect the image quality. However, if you were going to be printing 8 X 10s or bigger, then it might be an issue.

Went to Brushy Creek Park with a friend today, got a few pics before I had to tuck the camera away from the rain.

Jennifer

Attachments

• cactus2-21-2016.jpg
    cactus2-21-2016.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 235
  • CactusFlower2-21-2016.jpg
    CactusFlower2-21-2016.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 258
  • NewGrowth2-21-2016.jpg
    NewGrowth2-21-2016.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 241
Back