• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Super Duke disaster

I am sorry to hear that such a large investment has these kind of problems.

If it was started by the spark plug, could it be metal fatigue from someone setting the gap multiple times? I have never seen an engine blown over a plug but anything is possible. You might contact the plug manufacturer and see if there is an issue with this plug and force a recall. Again, I don't know it is the plug but it might save others.

Didn't you have an issue on your Harley on a ride once where it lost some oil as well after a side cover came loose? .

Not exactly, the primary cover (that had been put on with Loctite) fell off on old 90 near Deavers after a trip up to the Pickett House. It lost some primary oil as well; that's how I noticed it due to the smoke from it baking on the exhaust. Jim and Michelle went to the Harley shop in Beaumont, picked up a cover, bolts, and oil, and I replaced it on the side of the road. When I got home and after another extensive cleanup, I put Loctite on the new bolts. I've always said, the only bolts you need to Loctite on a Harley are the ones you want to keep on it. Turns out that probably should be the only bolts you hope to keep on it. We never found the original cover that day, but Jerry and Barb went back the next day and found it on the other side of the road. I told him that if it wanted off the bike that bad, he could keep it.

Thank you!

A couple of thoughts. What bent the spark plug? Clearly an impact, but with what? Whatever it was, it may have gone out the exhaust valve. Did they look in the exhaust system for any debris? The piston appears to be relatively intact, despite the damage, but the oil control ring looks incomplete.

The only other time I have seen cylinder scoring like that was due to loss of oil pressure. Very odd indeed. I understand your frustration completely. I rode the same bike last week. Quite a machine, but the seating position was just not quite what I was looking for. Hope you're back on the road soon.

Well, the news is back from KTM. They don't have a "crate motor" per se, and they aren't going to give me a new bike, so ... Cycle Shack plans to rebuild the engine. They are getting a parts list together, will order and rebuild. I have had a chance to talk to and gain trust in the mechanic who is doing the work. He has several decades of experience rebuilding motors. I am a little concerned that we were not able to discern the problem that created this mess. So, now it's wait and see ...

I would continue to press them for a new motor. I do not see a rebuild ending well given he amount of loose metal and the time it has circulated.

I have a 2016 SA and my warranty just ran out, I am slightly nervous to say the least.

Last edited:
I would continue to press them for a new motor. I do not see a rebuild ending well given he amount of loose metal and the time it has circulated.

I have a 2016 SA and my warranty just ran out, I am slightly nervous to say the least.

I have pressed, but you know how dealing with a dealer can be sometimes. I do believe they have pressed it with KTM. He has mentioned several times, that he has passed my comments and desires along to KTM. At this point, I might get my way, if I pressed for a new engine, but then it will be sitting in the shop all summer waiting for said engine, while the warranty ticks away.

I do know of several people who don't keep their bikes beyond the warranty period, because of the reliability concern. I will have to wait and see how this turns out and how I feel about it to know where I will go.

I have said that I am sure there will be the normal break-in, after the rebuild, but after that I plan to give it a good thrashing.

I have pressed, but you know how dealing with a dealer can be sometimes. I do believe they have pressed it with KTM. He has mentioned several times, that he has passed my comments and desires along to KTM. At this point, I might get my way, if I pressed for a new engine, but then it will be sitting in the shop all summer waiting for said engine, while the warranty ticks away.

I do know of several people who don't keep their bikes beyond the warranty period, because of the reliability concern. I will have to wait and see how this turns out and how I feel about it to know where I will go.

I have said that I am sure there will be the normal break-in, after the rebuild, but after that I plan to give it a good thrashing.

Perhaps the extended warranty on this bike is looking like a good investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO having thirty+ years in the business, the piece of spark plug is the result of the problem not the cause. This looks like detonation either caused by pre-ignition or other causes. With computer controlled spark way too many things come into play to make long range trouble shooting possible.
The piston damage appears to be caused by explosion forces in the cylinder which could have blown the ground wire off the plug or physical contact with the piston, I'd need a closer look to make an educated guess.
A local rebuild should not be a problem IF you are dealing with a skilled mechanic. FINDING THE CAUSE will require someone with knowledge.

Wish I could be of more help.

Smoky

decades away in technology, but the pictures remind me of my old iron head Sportster when it wrecked the pistons. turned out to be the stock ignition wasn't doing it's thing, and advancing/retarding spark properly. I also wondered if someone tried to tune the ECU.

Not a bad idea.

They (KTM or the dealer - both) should throw this in for free. You should try and negotiate this as part of good faith since the motor is rebuilt at such a low mileage.

Any update?

Rob, I just got back from Florida last night, but I have been talking to Cycle Shack on the phone. The news is back from KTM. They don't have a "crate motor" per se, and they aren't going to give me a new bike, so ... Cycle Shack plans to rebuild. They are getting a parts list together, will order (or have ordered) and rebuild. I have had a chance to talk to and gain trust in the mechanic who is doing the work. He has several decades of experience rebuilding motors. Although, I am a little concerned that we were not able to determine the problem that created this mess.

I have asked about the extended warranty, but I guess I wasn't clear, because the service writer kept saying that all their work and parts are warranted for 90 days. The bikes warranty is for two years beginning 9/17 so the 90 day warranty isn't really helpful. At the very least, they should extend the warranty for two years from the date of the rebuild.

I am certain there will be the normal break in period after it is rebuilt, but after that I intend to give it a severe thrashing!!! :-) Hopefully, anything that isn't tied down, will show itself.

So, now it's wait and see. But since I'm back I plan to go in today, talk and maybe take some pictures.

Well, guess that's good news. Hopefully many happy miles after this. Terry is picking up a new to him bike today, buying back one he sold to me that I sold ect. lol. I might go down later, you should swing by his place too.

Sad to hear this Joe, the dam thing felt fine when I rode it to BMW. Hope CSN treats you right. KTM needs to step the heck up on this.

So, I have talked to KTM Customer Service. They have approved rebuilding my engine. Cycle Shack North ("CSN") has ordered parts but there still is some conversation around; 1) what caused this and will it happen again and 2) the plan to repair the head by CSN, KTM corporate says everything needs to be replaced.

I have strongly suggested that at the very least the warranty needs to be restarted since this is such a new bike. They have said they will work on it.

Back on the road?

Not yet. They got the new head and found they could not remove the spark plug shaft insert without damaging it. This is the insert that is above the spark plug hole in the head to insulate the plug coil. So they have ordered a new one and contacted KTM in order to figure out how to insert it. To remove this on my 990, just takes a lot of muscle.

Last edited:
Heard the Duke is running!

Yes sir, that is true! Wanted to do a lunch today, but it wasn't done until late afternoon.

Here it is in the garage, with it's other KTM friends.

zuucHo6DDpDb9vaj5mWQKs1exs3hplCujCJqmtBlCyG5x8kyOFbFT_59m-HeXAx1GVgR9qZLypNn1ESTokM=w364-h647-no.jpg

Last edited:
Back