• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Superman - on the fly...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Fellow triathlete, friend, and Visually Impaired guide Danny wanted some shots, very specific shots, for him to use on social media so I obliged and said I'd do it. As the title states, Superman - on the fly, this was a lesson in quick thinking on your feet when you don't know what you're getting yourself in for an assignment.

All I knew was, specific 'types' of shots but beyond that the canvas was blank. So we set a time for 9:30 this evening which turned into about 10pm and we found ourselves on the 46th floor of Austin's tallest condo building on an un-built floor with views to drool over. I had a general idea of what he wanted, so got to looking at what I had to work with. Hmmmm.... Bare empty commercial space is about all I could muster.

We started outside, then worked our way inside. By 11:30 we were done and by midnight I was home swearing I was going to bed and deal with this in the morning. Not! Just had to create a folder, off-load the images, cull and do post so I could get a link to the gallery to him.

Here's a couple I liked from the set. Single SB700 speedlight in the 24x24 softbox using CactusV triggers. Second SB700 as either a bounce off the ceiling or just a pfft (1/64th) off to the opposite side of the key light. You just don't need a ton of gear for these kinds of things but 'ya gotta' think on the fly....

i-zP4SVgJ-XL.jpg

i-5rRwgQD-XL.jpg

i-jVRTQxp-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Nice suit!

He changed ties between 2 and 3!

Lighting wise, I like 1. But his pose looks awkward. Also, that building top muddles up the bars of the bike.

3 is good, but he needs to be puffing his chest out a lot more! ;-)

Two interesting comments about the Frost tower.... he wanted that in there so I obliged. Now that you mention it, I'm thinking it would have been a 'cleaner' image obscured or out of it all together. Hmmm....

The whole gallery is HERE

Maybe this one? Has the UT Tower, State Capital and Frost Tower all in the same shot
i-qD3GT8G-XL.jpg

The whole leaning/sitting/whatever on the bike just looks really unnatural. The pose is just really forced looking instead of mild mannered and relaxed ;-)

Technically, I can't think of anything wrong with these. The one thing I did notice is, there wasn't much emotion out of him until a few of the last Superman shots. Would be nice to see more of his personality shining through, but he seems like a pretty quite guy. Nothing you can really do about that.

As mentioned, he had these pose ideas in mind so I didn't rock the boat. The ones where he is looking directly at the camera, were at my request.

Well, the customer is always right... or at least they always get what they want... well... mostly anyway.

He said he was "over the top pleased" with the set so I can't argue with that.

He said he was "over the top pleased" with the set so I can't argue with that.

yep, rule #1 - what makes the customer happy
(no belt with a full-on suit?)

Last edited:
The whole leaning/sitting/whatever on the bike just looks really unnatural. The pose is just really forced looking instead of mild mannered and relaxed ;-)

You got me thinking a bit on this.....

I have a bunch-o-bicycles, so I went to one of them this morning and sat on it. Not on the seat, but relaxing against it like I've done a zillion times without thinking about it. That's a pretty average stance with the road and tri bikes to sit on then without your legs over the top tube. They have to lean like that to support your weight like a triangle. I thought the experiment was kind of interesting myself, having not really ever thought of it.

I think it is more the way he's holding his arms. If instead he had one hand on the seat and the other on the handle bars, it might look more relaxed. The hands held like they are looks real tight and defensive.

It's the shadow on his hand that's throwing me off now..... Makes his hand look deformed. The rest seems ok. Wonder if I can lighten that up on post. :ponder:

Back