• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Surplus bikes in Austin cheap - fixer uppers

Are you able to get in to the auction right now? Page keeps timing out for me. Anybody?

Hmmmm...wonder if server crashed. Would be nice to see a complete list.

Ok got in, must have just had a glitch it heavy traffic. So all the bikes are the same. Lots of them though. What are those used for?

Last edited:
Why would these be state property? I thought all MSF courses were privately owned?

Snip from MSF:

While the MSF researches, develops and distributes the safety/training curriculum, each state and military branch administers the actual Motorcycle Safety Program.

Why would these be state property? I thought all MSF courses were privately owned?

IIRC from my MSF course in 2017, DPS owns most of the motorcycles outright and lends them to the various training providers that put on/host/run the BRC. For my class, they also had a few loaners from Greathouse Honda in Bryan.

They're going cheap, but not sure they're worth even the low prices, lol.

Wish they were not small cc cruiser style. Nighthawks would make good rat bikes, Rebels not so much.

The surplus store here in Austin is located next to my place of employment. I stopped in to check out what was going on. Open viewing ended yesterday, today is last day for bids.

The state owns a lot of the training bikes that they lend to the ranges. The program is being transferred from the DPS to the Dept of Licensing and Regulation. They have ordered all state bikes either purchased by the training providers or returned to the state for auction. This is probably only round one.

I have been watching that pile of bikes for better part of a year. Wondering the details. As I mentioned, the Surplus is not but a few doors down from my work. If there's interest, I would be glad to keep the thread updated. As xaliber mentioned, this isn't likely to be the last around. And... The number of bikes there, must be 50 or 60.

I'd be interested in a dual sport if they have any. Me and my son are over 6 foot. Those tiny cruisers would not be fun for long.

I posted this already, but I kinda dig this idea.

All I saw was the 250 cruisers (Kaw), but I will report whats there. Many bikes have the turn signals knocked off, mirrors missing or broken, some with tanks off, and engines in various stages of disassembly. According to the LSO auctions web site, most are selling from mid $300s to high $500s

FYI... New slug of bikes have shown up. As of today, the auction has not been set up. I will keep you posted.

Corkscrews were probably from TSA confiscations

They actually have one of mine! So I know from experience that if your boss ever flies you up for a management team meeting and gives you a "picnic fun gift bag" as a perk, don't stuff it in your carry-on and try to hop on a plane without first checking to see if there's a corkscrew in it. No telling how many of our Dallas-based managers got hung up in TSA screening that day.

They actually have one of mine! So I know from experience that if your boss ever flies you up for a management team meeting and gives you a "picnic fun gift bag" as a perk, don't stuff it in your carry-on and try to hop on a plane without first checking to see if there's a corkscrew in it. No telling how many of our Dallas-based managers got hung up in TSA screening that day.

What has the world come to when you can't carry a corkscrew with you?

Back