• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Surplus bikes in Austin cheap - fixer uppers

Does it look like the same kind of bikes? Rebels and Eliminators?

It appears so. At this point, all I can see is from outside the fence as I drive past.

I'd be more interested in a cheap Nighthawk than a Rebel. But it's been a long time since they were used for training.

I would imagine Rebels, Eliminators, and GZ250s. I took my MSF course on a GZ250 and it was nice for a 250.

Legal Espionage evidence.

Attachments

• 20191106_075709.jpg
    20191106_075709.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20191106_075654.jpg
    20191106_075654.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 20191106_075559.jpg
    20191106_075559.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20191106_075606.jpg
    20191106_075606.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 170
You could make a fun motorized cart with one of those motors.

FYI - surplus bikes cheap in Austin

I haven’t bought one yet, but I’m considering
FYI.... Im one of 100 or so sponsors turning in these bikes, that the state is then auctioning off..... Be VERY careful what you buy..most will not have titles you can reasonable register, most of them are in such sad condition even at what we paid for the ones we are keeping (Im only truing in one and it was crashed hard enough to bend both fork legs, the frame and other items) they are really not much of a deal for most. They are stored outside in the weather, DPS has no inside storage for them.

Does it look like the same kind of bikes? Rebels and Eliminators?
There will be mostly a few very old Rebels, some GZ250's, a lot of BN125's and a smattering of other bikes..... And there will be another auction if not 2 or 3 more..We are all turning in bikes this month (most be done by end of NOV)

guessing the ranges kept the best ones and turned in the others. Those trainers live a tough life.
We did.....so you have only the worst of the worst, and the few sponsors that did not have cash to buy out their fleet at ridiculously low prices.

That first auction (now closed) was bikes we turned in 2 years ago for the new bikes they swapped us for...and the bikes DPS motorcycle unit had for their internal on the road fleet.

The next auction is going to be a lot of crud with a few diamonds Id guess based on what we kept and the one Im returning.

What's up with using all cruiser style small bikes for the classes? I get the small but not the cruiser. Seems a standard riding position would teach better how to ride. You can't use your knees to absorb pot holes. Erik, did you ever use the Nighthawk 250s in the classes? I remember a Houston area TWTer who took long Mexico rides with his.

The rebels and Eliminators could take a beating and keep going. Guessing they were also cheaper. Seems like I also saw some Yama s

The BN 125 is a straight up seating position it may look like a cruiser but it’s not really.

For the last 17 years or so most sponsors in other words the training companies used bikes available through Dps motorcycle safety unit so we really didn’t have much of a choice in what bikes to use

for the last 17 years or so most sponsors in other words the training companies used bikes available through Dps motorcycle safety unit so we really didn’t have much of a choice in what bikes to use
now if that part of the program is gone and sponsors will be buying their own bikes they just have to meet the three criteria for a trainer bike under 250 pounds to 50 mL or less and one of the criteria that escapes my memory right now.
But the other thing you have to keep in mind when we decide to choose what bike to use is maintenance and replacement parts.
In order to be a viable business bikes with minimal damage on a common crash is required

so anything with the faring anything with foot pegs that are hard mounted to the frame
And in my opinion any water cooled bike is a mistake for the way we use them the conditions we use them in

when you take all that into consideration it doesn’t leave you much

in my current fleet of 90 some odd motorcycles a good 2/3 of which we just bought from Dps
We have
Bn125
Yamaha V*250
Grom 125
Zpro 125
all of which used to belong to the state and were provided to us
Then I have a couple of DR 125s, a NX125

moving forward as we build more sites and I bring bikes on it only makes sense to stay with the same brand / models motorcycle as it’s a significant parts cost to bring on a new model

I supply myself and all of my mechanics with on hand parts so that we never have to turn a customer away because the bike isn’t available due to a last crash
So crash parts maintenance parts for each model adds up very quickly

there just isn’t enough money in the business to have two dozen different style bikes to please everybody

The rebels and Eliminators could take a beating and keep going. Guessing they were also cheaper. Seems like I also saw some Yama s
Dead on

I spent more on crash replacement parts for our 3 GROM and 16 Zpro in the last two years that I have for all the other motorcycles together

Erik, do you rent out your bikes other than to the training classes?

I typed motorcycle in the search box and got two cruisers in the Dallas area, a Suzuki 800 and a wrecked Honda shadow.

I think it would be fun for a bunch of us to get one of these bikes, fix them, and take an adventure ride around the hill country.

Erik, do you rent out your bikes other than to the training classes?
No it would be an insurance nightmare Im sure. They dont move an inch if not part of a Tx state approved course of instruction and a qualified and current MSF/ TX coach

Received an email from the state. Stated the motorcycle auction will be opening up this month. I stopped today to check in, no date yet. But soon. There has been another slug of bikes added. Honda's I think. not a cruiser bike.

all right! They got some of those Hyosong 250s ! Can't wait to get my hands on a bunch of those amazing machines.. Wonder if they will bring more than $100 bucks at the scrap yard?

Back