• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sub-Thread: Tires

Zimmerman,
Have you ridden the Conti's? (The Bandit is my first bike in a long time and I'm still on the original tires.)

Thanks,
Greg

Yes, I rode on the Conti Road Attacks and the Sport Attacks. Both had good dry grip and mediocre tire life (the Z6's and Storm ST's lasting longer) but their wet/damp grip was poor in my opinion.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Avon Storm ST's. I have them on my SV1K right now and they out perform (in my opinion) the Z6's in terms of mileage and the Conti Road Attacks in terms on wet grip. You also get a "road hazard" warranty with the tires to boot!

Just curious how many miles you got out of the Avon Storm ST's? I imagine they take a little while to warm up the tires, right? Any tire noise from them while riding?

Thanks in advance!

:rider:

Just curious how many miles you got out of the Avon Storm ST's? I imagine they take a little while to warm up the tires, right? Any tire noise from them while riding?

Thanks in advance!

At this point, it looks like I'll probably get 8K+ out of the rear tire, and that includes a track day on them! They seem to grip from the start although I've not tested them after a short-short ride to see how warm they've gotten. These are the tires I'll be running on my SV and my wife's 919 for quite some time.

What would cause them to take time to warm up?

A harder rubber compound tire takes a few miles to reach optimum operating temperture. When compared to a softer tire compound which heats up to optimum temperture quicker.
Harder compound tires generally get better/longer mileage. But sacrifice handling in the twistys.
Thats why most tire manufactures are going to the dual compound technology.
Harder rubber compound in the center of the tire and softer compound on the tire sides.

HTH's

At this point, it looks like I'll probably get 8K+ out of the rear tire, and that includes a track day on them! They seem to grip from the start although I've not tested them after a short-short ride to see how warm they've gotten. These are the tires I'll be running on my SV and my wife's 919 for quite some time.

Thanks again wczimmerman,
This sounds like a pretty good tire. You know its like having your cake and also being able to eat it. I don't think the bandit at 496lbs dry weight will get the 8000 miles you'll get with 410lbs. dry weight SV1000. But it should get considerably better than the stock Dunlop 218's. Actually I like the handling of the 218 tires, but think they will wear out to soon for me.

:pirate:

I have right at 6500mi. on my 1250 as it sits here. Still have the Dunlop 218, (sportmax I believe?) stocker that came on the front, it's has worn fantasticly and given good grip, in fact it still has a bit of tread if I needed to push it. The rear is a different matter. Under a dealer suggestion (not my local, mind you) I mounted a Conti Sport Attack after a puncture turned my factory Dunlop into a casualty. The tire was of the stock size and was mounted up professional style and the chain was brought back to proper adjustment. As it sits here, just right at 3000mi. (or a little less:doh: ) later, I am sad to report I'm down to the steel all the way around. Upon morning pre-ride no bands were visable. I did manage to get in 300mi. of beautiful warm December day riding in since that inspection. I suppose the tire had handled well enough, fair turning traction and ok in the wet, but the lifespan was not what I was hoping for. I have personally seen 15,000 safe miles put on a set of Metz's on Dad's old cruiser. I know this is too much to expect from a set of sport tubeless tires but I am wanting more distance from my next set. I'm scheduled to have a set of Metz's shod on my Natasha (bandit's name) tomorrow, and I'll report back of their performance once properly broken in and ridden on. Those Road Pilot 2's were my other choice, currently back-ordered locally, but I have had good luck with the Mich-Man in the past. Safe rides everyone!

We ended up finding Road Pilot 2's at the dealer on sale no less! The only catch was I ended up having to mount the 90 size rear (slightly larger than stock) instead of the factory size. So far in 120 miles they seem to be giving really good grip, thanks due in some part to the one size larger rear. I can't speak for wear until I get about 1000mi. on the clock, but I will report. To be fair I guess those Metz's will have to be the next set I shoe. It's raining today, when the worst of it lets up, I'm going to test them out in the moist.

We ended up finding Road Pilot 2's at the dealer on sale no less! The only catch was I ended up having to mount the 90 size rear (slightly larger than stock) instead of the factory size. QUOTE]

Can you take a MPH reading on GPS or clocked by laser/radar and see if the 90 size tire fixes or changes the speedo reading error? Also, does it fit real nice and there are no clearance issues anywhere I assume?

Phil

"Also, does it fit real nice and there are no clearance issues anywhere I assume?"

It fits just like the stocker... I can't see anywhere it comes close to rubbing, even under load or handling conditions. Looks pretty good, not as scary as a full on wide racing rear tire, but somewhere in between skinny and scary.

"Also, does it fit real nice and there are no clearance issues anywhere I assume?"

It fits just like the stocker... I can't see anywhere it comes close to rubbing, even under load or handling conditions. Looks pretty good, not as scary as a full on wide racing rear tire, but somewhere in between skinny and scary.

Thanks - speedo changed??

There was no need to change. I should have been more accurate in my first post. The 190 was width of tire and not height of tire. (Stock is close at 180) Calabrations are accurate as stock. Just a slight bit more ribbon on the contact patch out back. Seems to turn in good and stick well too. Winter is definately here, low 20's tonight in my neck of the woods, cuts into the riding comfort some :eek2: :lol2:

Just wondering...anyone ever heard of Shinko tires? It looks like some super-cheap brand out of China or somewhere. As low as the prices are, I have to wonder if they're worth at least throwing on until I can afford something better. Oh well, the Bandit's tires still look pretty good, so maybe I just need to start saving now.

Just wondering...anyone ever heard of Shinko tires? It looks like some super-cheap brand out of China or somewhere. As low as the prices are, I have to wonder if they're worth at least throwing on until I can afford something better. Oh well, the Bandit's tires still look pretty good, so maybe I just need to start saving now.

I think that's the tire most people use for drag racing there Busa's. Cheap means they wear real quick though. But there good enough for a few passes down the strip. For the straight line racing crowd.
If I offended anybody who uses this tire. There was no real intent to do so.

I think that's the tire most people use for drag racing there Busa's. Cheap means they wear real quick though. But there good enough for a few passes down the strip. For the straight line racing crowd.
If I offended anybody who uses this tire. There was no real intent to do so.

Not exactly. They do make some good cheap tires for chewing up at the drag strip, but the 009 "Raven" is supposed to be a good ST tire. I almost got one instead of my RoadAttack, but didn't. It may very well be my next tire though. Search this forum and others, it's not a bad option for a commuter who is putting on a lot of miles.

trey

My Michelin Pilot Powers are holding up good and they handle oh so good.:rider:

1500 smiles on them. :mrgreen:

I run Pilot Powers on my VFR and so far they are a real nice tire. Wear is decent. I am going to put BT-21's on the Bandit once I get it and see what the current tires look like.

I've had a blast playing in the twisty stuff on my new 1250, but you pay to play. The wear bars are about to break through with 800 miles on the rear tire(no burnouts or wheelies either). I'll be lucky to get 1200 miles out of it. I also hear good things about it's gas mileage, but when playing hard in the corners, I'm getting 29-32 MPG, averaging 34 MPG. So far, my high mileage tank is 37.8. If this thing wasn't so much fun to toss around on the backroads, I'm sure these figures would be substantially better, but she's way too much fun to behave on.

I've had terrific results with the Pirelli Corsa IIIs on my '06 Gixxer thou'. Their traction and feedback are second to none. I get 2500 miles to a rear tire. That's pretty good for me. They'll be goin' on next. Stay tuned tuned. Cheers, Jack

hey flickmeister. I've noticed similar phenom's going on with commuting in some circumstances. If you think about it. Hard stops, (and when required) hard starts, road debris, sharp turns, road heat from other vehicles, ect., can really take a toll on tires. When the commuter moons are in the fifth house I get near 50mpg, all other situations I get nearer 40mpg. Which all things considered, is not bad. Camping and commuting I keep the tach under 4500rpm. On twisties, unloaded, well, bets are then off. Tires get stickier and gas mileage drops with the degree of road pleasure. :trust: So far, the Pilot Road 2's are golden with a couple hundred miles on them. I have the 190/55 rear and I can feel a snip more grip. (180 stock) Great machine. (1250 ABS)

Back