• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suzuki Set For Restructure

Reaction score
First Name
David
The following is from Suzuki Motor of America…

Executing a comprehensive plan to build a strong foundation for the future, Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. has announced it will restructure its operations in the United States. This new direction will reorganize the Suzuki Motorcycle/ATV and Marine Divisions into two separate companies set to begin operations on April 1, 2021. This new organization is designed to give both new companies the best opportunity to optimize their success in their respective industries.

Suzuki Motor USA, LLC. will be headquartered in Brea, California, Suzuki’s corporate home in the United States since 1981. Suzuki Marine USA, LLC. will be based in Tampa, Florida in the heart of the marine business in North America. Suzuki first entered the United States in 1963 and was originally based in Santa Ana, California before moving to its landmark, Pagoda-inspired building in Santa Fe Springs, California.

Satoshi Uchida will serve as Chairman and Masami Haga will serve as President of the new motorcycle/ATV company. Masahiro Yamamoto will serve as President of the new marine company. “Both the Motorcycle/ATV and Marine Divisions are enjoying solid success in their respective businesses,” said Uchida. “As we proceed in reorganizing into two separate companies, we look forward to the Suzuki brand continuing to thrive in the United States.”

The primary goal of this reorganization is to strengthen each business. Key objectives are to achieve greater efficiencies, speed up decision-making, and position each company for increased sales and growth in the United States.

The location of Suzuki Marine USA, LLC. in Tampa was strategically chosen to expand Suzuki’s business, improve collaboration within the marine industry, and strengthen its relationship with boat builders, dealers, and vendors. The Gulf Coast location also provides convenient access to Suzuki’s new Marine Technical Center opened in Panama City, Florida in June, 2020.

Funny thing about Suzuki. I mean they just won the biggest motorcycle racing championship there is with Moto GP. Moto GP is 10X the global popularity than any SX or MX series. If I was them, I wouldn't care about pulling out of AMA SX either if I just won a Moto GP championship.

I know this is not what you are linking to as far as your article, but I guess what I think is Suzuki will be fine as a motorcycle manufacturer.

I heard that Suzuki Marine had actually thrown some cash over to JGR to keep them going and doesn't want to make that a reoccurring thing. Suzuki has always had one of the best handling dirt bikes on the planet. If they would just get a Button I'd go back. Once you go button you don't go for nutton!

We tend to view the motorcycle market with "USA eyes." In actuality we buy about 400,000 bikes a year out of around 30,000,000 sold worldwide. Less than 2% of worldwide sales. While the Japanese do look at the USA market, it's only because we tend to buy high end bikes. We're not likely to see a scene like this in Texas in the near future.
atasco_motos_vietnam.jpg

I wish Suzuki success, because I want a new fuel injected DR-z 450 or 600 that weighs less than the current 400. :-D

We tend to view the motorcycle market with "USA eyes." In actuality we buy about 400,000 bikes a year out of around 30,000,000 sold worldwide. Less than 2% of worldwide sales. While the Japanese do look at the USA market, it's only because we tend to buy high end bikes. We're not likely to see a scene like this in Texas in the near future.
View attachment 279689
I wish Suzuki success, because I want a new fuel injected DR-z 450 or 600 that weighs less than the current 400. :-D
I hope we don't see anything like that here either. At the rate nyc is going we might

Funny thing about Suzuki. I mean they just won the biggest motorcycle racing championship there is with Moto GP. Moto GP is 10X the global popularity than any SX or MX series. If I was them, I wouldn't care about pulling out of AMA SX either if I just won a Moto GP championship.

I know this is not what you are linking to as far as your article, but I guess what I think is Suzuki will be fine as a motorcycle manufacturer.
I remember when Suzuki pulled out of MotoGP.

For the most part we're not scooter country.

Can Suzuki currently split products between two dealer franchises? In other words, motorcycles to one and boats to another? If not, this might provide an easy way of doing so.

The franchise difficulty was the first thing I thought about. They must be thinking a slightly different distribution model and how to optimize support.

Can Suzuki currently split products between two dealer franchises? In other words, motorcycles to one and boats to another? If not, this might provide an easy way of doing so.
The agreements between the dealer and Suzuki are just that. Dealer agreements or contracts. Not a franchise. There are a few dealerships who have both MC and Marine.
the Suzuki dealer in Longview has both.

These types of restructure usually come when markets and economy are tight. This along with the recent announcement by Kawasaki to split there power sports and equipment divisions. The split model allows a degree of agility not achievable when they are coupled together. There are lots of things going on at the corporate level most of us don't think about; like members on a board of directors that think marine is the future of Suzuki and the decisions they make and thinking doesn't consider the motorcycle side or the other way around. There are supply deals cut with manufactures of components and the deal may be great for one division but a disaster for the other. Hopefully this will allow both divisions to perform to the best of their abilities and if one doesn't it doesn't kill both in the process.

Back