• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SWM 600X Dual sport

As I understand it, that bike is a 2011ish husky TE630 frame and motor (~56hp) that was targeted at the spot formerly occupied by the KLR, sort of light ADV.
For it's intended purpose not a bad idea!

I would pass on SWM. I test drove the SM500R at AF1 Racing in Austin and it was subpar. Parts and build quality is questionable, especially if you are used to the Japanese Big 4

I'm surprised by that comment Spy but maybe its because your referring to the 500 and not the Dualsport 650X that Im interested in. Two people I have talked to whom I trust and are experienced riders who owned and currently own the Husky that have the same engine (TE630?), couldn't say enough good things about the bike. One of the guys still owns one and says its still his favorite bike and very reliable.

Now the whole OEM and aftermarket parts availability is a good question that I haven't answered yet. But Im still very interested in this bike.

The bits and pieces that put the bike together were junk. And no, they are not the same bike. Already rusty bolts -brackets...When you sit on one and ride it, post your feedback...Sounds like you are already sold though. Good luck

Last edited:
The link you (OP/FWDSR) posted also links to some reviews that are likely useful. I'll add mine. I rode one for a few miles, courtesy of the local dealer AF-1, chasing my buddy who was actually considering the v85-TT he was riding. I was impressed, mostly. Nice design. Lots of tubes, but the rack actually looked pretty functional. The hardware and paint definitely had an Italian character to them, but weren't any worse junk than the KLR. Appeared to have mostly standard Euro fasteners instead of the 47 different weird special stuff on Japanese motorcycles. Next to the refined v85, the SWM looked a bit primitive.

The motor was terrific until it just ran out of breath--just about the time I expected it to come to life. So, it's a thumper, but a lot stronger than the KLR or DR ever was. More like an XR, only modern. Suspension was firm. Handling was outstanding. I suspect it would get better as it ran in; perhaps the engine would, too. It felt top-heavy. It sure felt heavier than the specs would imply, but wasn't an issue when underway. It was very easy to ride, and much easier to ride fast than a stock KLR. The weight and suspension would be fine on most unpaved county roads around here, but would limit speed, comfort and confidence on really rough stuff.

Ergos were shockingly good. Funny-looking fairing was quiet and effective. Saddle much better than the competition. Cockpit as whole was almost big enough for me--I'm tall and lanky. That thumping engine vibrated the whole rig pretty intrusively. Not as bad as an XR or DR, not as buzzy as a DRZ, maybe like a KLR. A lot like a 530, but the weight smoothed out the experience. Not as smooth as a 690. The stupid dual mufflers made it sound AWESOME.

Overall, I liked it. The SWM is a far better pavement machine than an XR or a DRZ or 530, but they'd kick its *** on dirt. It's a far better motorcycle than a KLR or DR. Definitely provided more room for baggage than my 690, but I'd never trade--the 690 beats it in every way.. except maybe comfort. The SWM is most like a good old KTM 640A, gosh, even the dual pipes on the old ones, but much more modern. That's kind of where it lands, a modern example of the long-neglected big single dual sport.

Reactions: Dao
Thanks for posting that review. Im glad to hear you liked the bike. Its temping to buy it at that price point, but I dont like the fact that I would be so far from a service dealer and the price is just a bit too much for me when you tack on freight from the west coast, prep and TT&L. Since I posted this, I am leaning very heavily toward getting a well priced used 690.

Back