• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SWM Motorcycles

The Australians seem to like the SWM bikes so far....I'm wary of service and support issues, but does look like a viable option. Maybe the 500 isn't the greatest bargain...but seeing them priced at 7500 I could imagine there some negotiating room. Maybe, maybe not. I like the adventure bike size and weight. It also comes with the panniers bags for awhile from what I've read as am introductory offer. I like options...

There was a dealer in California that first had them available and was selling the SM version at 7500 OTD. I wanted to ship it down to TX but there was no dealer network at the time. Also, I passed on buying a 701 SM because I wasnt driving to Austin if I had an issue.

Once I am ready to upgrade from my DRZ SM, the plan is to convert a Japanese 450 to street legal Supermoto. The Euro stuff still doesn’t get me excited

KTM was once a little known brand. So was Beta when I bought one several years ago. Back then, I had to buy plastics directly from Beta. Now, RMATV sells all kinds of parts for that Italian brand.

All depends on what you feel comfortable. I've never been afraid to take the path less traveled by. To me, the discovery is part of the fun. Then again. Nothing wrong with staying in the comfort of the herd and buy established brands.

I wouldn’t have a problem buying a bike from a manufacturer outside the norm, but it’d have to be either a really special bike or a heck of a value. I don’t see either of those things from this brand. The adventure bike is interesting, but I could get a lot more bike for the same money from proven manufacturers. AF1 has one listed at $9999...Straight Line KTM has a left over 690 for the same money. I know which one I’d choose.

My only suggestion is to consider what aftermarket accessories are needed. Some things like cantle bags or aftermarket mirrors will fit most anything, but if you need a larger fuel tank, that may be a problem. Since this is a in part a Husky clone there may be some accessories out there. There has been a couple of occasions I wish I had bought a Honda just because of the amount of stuff the aftermarket produces for them.

Last edited:
I would love the 500 with a larger gas tank...think I'll look around and see if there was one when it was a TE model Husky

That was quick:

I wouldn’t have a problem buying a bike from a manufacturer outside the norm, but it’d have to be either a really special bike or a heck of a value. I don’t see either of those things from this brand. The adventure bike is interesting, but I could get a lot more bike for the same money from proven manufacturers. AF1 has one listed at $9999...Straight Line KTM has a left over 690 for the same money. I know which one I’d choose.
+1 .

I picked up the Beta almost brand new with some 27 miles on the clock for darn near 1/2 the MSRP.

AF1 is smoking some serious weed for posting it at that price. Then again, that's what dealers do... try to catch those who might be willing to pay for a brand new exotic toy.

Come December... we'll see.

+1 .

I picked up the Beta almost brand new with some 27 miles on the clock for darn near 1/2 the MSRP.

AF1 is smoking some serious weed for posting it at that price. Then again, that's what dealers do... try to catch those who might be willing to pay for a brand new exotic toy.

Come December... we'll see.
That's great info to share! Helps us all negotiate our best possible deal. Everybody needs to do this! Share buying experiences and insider notes.

As far as I know... only one other rider on this forum benefited from that Beta deal I got. :lol2:

Just like the Orange brigade... the more Beta becomes more maintstream and popular, the less likely there will be any sweet deals.

That, to me, is what makes taking the road less traveled by so rewarding. Once that road gets trampled by the masses, it gets paved over into an Turnpike and they make you pay to play.

That's great info to share! Helps us all negotiate our best possible deal. Everybody needs to do this! Share buying experiences and insider notes.

Check TJ’s. I was in there recently getting fuel, accessories, etc and saw a lot of mark-downs. They also had a lot of used inventory. I bought my used 500 XC-W from Straight Line (SLM). Todd, the owner was good to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has a familiar looking powerplant as well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This has a familiar looking powerplant as well

I think TJ’s has a few of the road models.

I glanced at a couple street models outside thinking they would be a good size for my wife. Good looking bikes.

I think TJ’s has a few of the road models.

I'd buy this before the husky copy. It appears to have a rfvc honda based engine

I assumed they were from India or China similar to the Mahindra Jeep clones.

One thing I'll be curious about is wheel compatibility. One thing that sold me on the Beta was its ability to use KTM wheels with different spacers. Even earlier Beta didn't even need spacers IIRC.

I don't have much concern about other aftermarket and OEM parts, but wheels can get expensive. Being that these are mostly dirt bikes, spare or replacement set of wheels is not all that uncommon a need.

Thought I'd bring this back up and see if anyone had ventured out to look or try one. I joined the SWM Facebook group to keep up with praises or complaints. Seems to be a few issues but nothing major. Most folks seem happy with their purchase. The 650 looks kinda interesting.

I stopped by AF1 last week and checked out the 500r. This thing looked sweeeet in person. I got to start it up but didnt have time for a test ride. It sounded really good with instant throttle response. The twin mufflers looked awesome. They also had a supermoto version. Im headed back down next week. I hope to test ride that beast. The tag on the dualsport one said a lil over $9000.00 out the door. Im really interested in the 300 cc version also.

I stopped by AF1 last week and checked out the 500r. This thing looked sweeeet in person. I got to start it up but didnt have time for a test ride. It sounded really good with instant throttle response. The twin mufflers looked awesome. They also had a supermoto version. Im headed back down next week. I hope to test ride that beast. The tag on the dualsport one said a lil over $9000.00 out the door. Im really interested in the 300 cc version also.
Cool....let us know if you take a test ride. Hop on the 650 if you would. Would love to know what you think. Thanks!

Back