• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tail of the Dragon

I liked it and agree that you should see it along with any other riding near it. I went during July, during the week and business hours and maybe saw 15 bikes from end to end. Of course a couple of them were screaming Ducatis and that was cool too. I skipped the shirt. Isn't it also known as Deals Gap?

I liked it and agree that you should see it along with any other riding near it. I went during July, during the week and business hours and maybe saw 15 bikes from end to end. Of course a couple of them were screaming Ducatis and that was cool too. I skipped the shirt. Isn't it also known as Deals Gap?

Yes, it is. Deals Gap used to be fun on a Sunday afternoon just to people watch

There is (or at least was several years ago) a one way gravel rd in the National Park connecting Cades Cove Scenic Loop to the Tail of the Dragon. Pretty good stretch and one can be reasonably sure no one is coming the other way. We rented motorcycles out there from GSM in about 2012 and they had all pavement and mixed pavement / gravel routes.https://www.tnvacation.com/local/townsend-gsm-motorcycle-rental. I am not sure GSM is still in business though.

Last edited:
Enjoyed it - my avatar pic or whatever you call it was taken there. It's in a generally excellent part of the US for riding, so a trip out that way is highly recommended. Don't forget Barber in Birmingham if that is on your way over, well worth a stop.

One other thing. If you have relatives in Charlotte, might consider a mountain "base" near Saluda, NC (1.5 hr drive from Charlotte). A fair amount of twisty pavement and some gravel right there and then if head over to Blue Ridge Parkway a lot of the highways up to and down from the parkway are excellent (see 215 and 276 for example). I prefer the road portions on the south and east sides of Blue Ridge as they seemed longer to. me. Plus there are roads that travel parallel to the BRP that make excellent pavement loops. If you end up in the Saluda or Brevard area give me a shout for a few more suggestions.

Id echo some others. I did it on a tuesday morning about 9:30 from the Tennessee side. It was fun but there are no safe passing zones and if you get behind a group of pokey harleys you are going to be very frustrated. Ill likely never go back. When i got to the north Carolina side there were probably 2-300 people staging to go through. There are better roads up there but none quite as tight. Its like the Grand Canyon its worth seeing once.
There are roads in Idaho, washington and Oregon that are just as fun and have basikly 0 traffic.

It's been on my bucket list for some time now. I am going to end up trailering multiple bikes out I think. This way I am not stuck when/if I go down while I'm there.

It's been on my bucket list for some time now. I am going to end up trailering multiple bikes out I think. This way I am not stuck when/if I go down while I'm there.
Keep in mind, it is a public road. It is completely within the limits of riding it like you won't drop it to ride it and enjoy it.

Hey All,

I grew up in KY and spent 22 years in NE Florida. Took many, many trips up to NC, TN, KY, WV, etc on 2 wheels. I've spent days and days in the area of the Dragon (Robbinsville and Maryville) as well as trips to the Snake and every other riding road in the area. I'm happy to chat with anyone interested in riding the area and help with routes and the like. I used to go up every spring to ride the area around Robbinsville the last week of Apr or 1st week of May. That seemed to be a good time to go and avoid too much rain. June/July are pretty rainy up there. Aug is pretty hot! :) The end of Oct is spectacular for the leaves...amazing colors there!!

The Smokey Mountain 500 is a very awesome light-duty dual sport (40% asphalt and 50% gravel roads).

The Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) is a bit more hardcore dual sport ride that's epic. Coal Mines, back-woods, hills and creeks everywhere. Some of the nicest peeps you'll meet live here!

There is SO much here...wow...truly epic riding. The Dragon is epic...ride it one time all the way thru on a week day and go slow (cops and it really can be dangerous!!). Then, go see the area as there are some amazing rides here. Ride Hwy 28 from the Dragon all the way down thru Franklin, NC (see all the falls) and to Dillard GA. Wayah Rd between Nantahala and Franklin is EPIC riding! Tatham Gap Rd is a nice gravel ride from Andrews to Robbinsville. The Cherohala Skyway is one of the most scenic in the area. The Dirt Cherohala is a very cool ride and you end up along River Rd that's purdy!!! The Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee to Asheville is a national landmark level road and you can go to Mt. Mitchell (highest pts E of Mississippi).

We are headed back for 2 or 3 weeks in late Oct/early Nov this fall to enjoy riding and the leaves. It's my fav part of the world to just relax and ride. We moved to TX for pre-retirement and will be back in TN or FL for retirement in 3 years.

Feel free to reach out if you want to chat about a trip to the Appalachian Mountains! :) I've probably been there at some point and would be happy to give you any insights I can offer. If I don't know...I bet I know guys who do!!! haha.

Keep the wheels down peeps!

T

Attachments

• 20160516_120721.jpg
    20160516_120721.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20161020_104341.jpg
    20161020_104341.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_27451.jpg
    IMG_27451.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190410_182518.jpg
    20190410_182518.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210425_153414.jpg
    20210425_153414.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210424_160642.jpg
    20210424_160642.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20150422_113331.jpg
    20150422_113331.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20150422_103545.jpg
    20150422_103545.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
last time out there Jeff (tossing lead) and myself discovered the dirty dragon, no crowd no cruisers, lots of twisty turny up and down gravel with patches of mud to make it interesting. you start in Robbinsville and head south on 1110 , it turns into a national forest road also known as Tatham gap road, at the gap it becomes FS423 you follow it down to where it crosses 1389 Stewart rd and turn right onto Stewart rd and go to where it "T's" into beaver creek rd (1388) and turn right, follow beaver creek till you get to FS304, it is on the right and looks like a driveway as it goes between a house and a garage and is one fun roller coaster road, you follow it for a good ways around the mountain , you will cross Cozad gap and Porterfield gap and make a hard right at 1115 little snowbird rd. little snowbird becomes snowbird rd and you follow it till it comes out on 143 and you can turn left and run up the Cherohala skyway or turn right and follow it down to US129 just outside Robbinsville.

last time out there Jeff (tossing lead) and myself discovered the dirty dragon, no crowd no cruisers, lots of twisty turny up and down gravel with patches of mud to make it interesting. you start in Robbinsville and head south on 1110 , it turns into a national forest road also known as Tatham gap road, at the gap it becomes FS423 you follow it down to where it crosses 1389 Stewart rd and turn right onto Stewart rd and go to where it "T's" into beaver creek rd (1388) and turn right, follow beaver creek till you get to FS304, it is on the right and looks like a driveway as it goes between a house and a garage and is one fun roller coaster road, you follow it for a good ways around the mountain , you will cross Cozad gap and Porterfield gap and make a hard right at 1115 little snowbird rd. little snowbird becomes snowbird rd and you follow it till it comes out on 143 and you can turn left and run up the Cherohala skyway or turn right and follow it down to US129 just outside Robbinsville.
Yes sir. That's a very pretty and way less traveled route! T

There is (or at least was several years ago) a one way gravel rd in the National Park connecting Cades Cove Scenic Loop to the Tail of the Dragon. Pretty good stretch and one can be reasonably sure no one is coming the other way. We rented motorcycles out there from GSM in about 2012 and they had all pavement and mixed pavement / gravel routes.https://www.tnvacation.com/local/townsend-gsm-motorcycle-rental. I am not sure GSM is still in business though.
Tis Parson’s branch you speak of…12-13 miles, unmaintained, 12 water crossings…..one of my favorite places! ❤️

Been up that way many times Moonshine 28 and Cherohala Skyway are better rides than The Dragon.
I only do TOTD if I have people with me that have never done it. Otherwise, I stay away on weekends and maybe visit during the week to avoid crowds. There are MANY roads in the area that are more fun than TOTD.

Back