• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Talk to me about sport touring bikes

Reaction score
I love my Super Tenere, and I have no plans to part with it. However, a Labor Day weekend spent in Arkansas has kindled a desire for something a little sportier, both for running around town and shorter, weekend type trips.

I don’t want a full-on sport bike, but something I can still do long days and 2-4 day trips on. Preferably something smaller and more nimble than my Tenere. I would love something with the reliability of my Tenere. I’m 6’, 218, so it needs to fit my frame as well. This will be a second bike, so being able to find something used at a good price would be nice. Cruise is high on my list of wants.

what bikes should I be looking at, and why?

I love my V Strom 1050. They are so smooth on highway and less expensive. But some may think 98 hp is not enough.

Hmm .... should I bring up the FJR 1300 perhaps.

I can't if he insists on something smaller than the Super Tenere. They're about 650 lbs wet and feel every ounce of it when wheeling it around the garage or getting around parking lots. It's a top heavy girl.

Now once I get moving the weight disappears. Guess you'd need to try one out to see if it's sporty enough despite being porky. I love mine.

I was able to do Big Bend to Houston in 1 day without killing myself and I'm not the Iron Butt type.

Attachments

• 20190409_111845.jpg
    20190409_111845.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
So...really depends on how long you think you'll ride in a day.

The KTM SDGT is incredible, but only to about 300 miles per day and then it's just not comfortable.

My guess is that the Ducati Multistrada and the BMW 1000XR are similar.

If you want sport and longer days, look at the Yamaha FJR or Kawasaki Concourse 14 both are top in class as a true sport TOURING bike. Not as quick as the KTM, but plenty fast and fun and a LOT more comfortable.

If we are talking sport touring bikes, I'd rather something that will be steady down the highway and not super susceptible to wind gusts.

My dream is a st1100 or st1300. Nothing, absolutely nothing has the same feeling that a v4 motorcycle does.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hmm .... should I bring up the FJR 1300 perhaps.

Yes we shall. :)

I love my Super Tenere, and I have no plans to part with it. However, a Labor Day weekend spent in Arkansas has kindled a desire for something a little sportier, both for running around town and shorter, weekend type trips.
Funny thing. In June I rode my FJR all the way to Montana for an FJR meet. Had a blast. However, while there, a couple of the FJR guys decided to come on their Super Tenere's and I got to see the pictures of all the fun they had and all the dirty roads I had to cruise past because I wasn't on a good bike for them. Came home thinking maybe an ADV bike isn't such a bad thing after all. I guess we always want what we don't have. Super Tenere's do better at being a Sport Tourer than an FJR does at being an ADV bike.

The FJR does tick most of your boxes, except the smaller part, but you'd be surprised at how the weight melts away once riding.

An FJ09 was my first mid-sport-tourer, and I can't recommend it enough. Older ones like I got are quite cheap for what they deliver, too. They are not without flaws, but are so, so darn fun to ride. And make long miles easy. I did Alpine to Austin the fun way (via Bracketville, Vanderpool, Medina, Sisterdale) in a day and was fresh and ready for more. I'm sure there are "better" bikes in this class, but I'm also sure there aren't better value bikes.

Only negative I can add about the FJR is with its combined weight and power it eats back tires up like no other bike I know of.

..... Cruise is high on my list of wants.....
Factory cruise or are you willing to add it? If factory only you've narrowed the field considerably.

Also which end of the spectrum will you lean towards, SPORTtouring or sportTOURING.

I've ridden Arkansas on a lot of different motorcycles and it would be tough to beat a nicely equipped FJR or C14 with cruise. Of all the bikes I've sold one of those I'd like to have back. Either, they were both great bikes.

JMO YMMV

Tracer 900 GT? It seems to split the touring and sport aspects of the sport touring nicely. I'd certainly like to get a ride on one before plopping money down on a FJR. The GT model has factory cruise control too if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
I'll just leave this here....

I went from the 2014 FJR E to a 2015 BMW R1200RT, and never looked back. The FJR was Great bike but I thought I was birthing it. She is wide. RT is slim at the tank / seat. Carries the weight low just fit my 32” inseam better.

Only negative I can add about the FJR is with its combined weight and power it eats back tires up like no other bike I know of.
All depends on how and where you ride it, along with what tires you use. I've gotten 15K miles out of PR2's with smooth throttle inputs while commuting around DFW and taking some trips. Folks that live in the mountains and run softer tires will see much much much much lower mileage.

Factory cruise or are you willing to add it? If factory only you've narrowed the field considerably.

Also which end of the spectrum will you lean towards, SPORTtouring or sportTOURING.

I've ridden Arkansas on a lot of different motorcycles and it would be tough to beat a nicely equipped FJR or C14 with cruise. Of all the bikes I've sold one of those I'd like to have back. Either, they were both great bikes.

JMO YMMV
I’d prefer factory, but I’ve heard good things about MCCruise. ****, I’d prefer shaft driven to chain, but I know I’m not going to get everything I want in one bike, and I really do want something smaller and lighter than my Tenere. This is to be a bike for 3-4 day trips, max. Long, multi-state trips will still belong to the Tenere.

I also would say to look at the FJR. As for weight, as others have mentioned, you only notice it moving it around by foot and at very low speed. Once you are moving it feels and handles like a sportbike, but with a lot more comfort. Not sure what your object to weight is.. If its physical limitations, then pass... Otherwise don't dismiss it on its 650lbs alone..

If I didn't currently have my FJR and become spoiled by cruise and heated grips I'd be really looking hard at FJ09 like this one,

Being under 500 lbs and only using it for shorter trips may make not having cruise manageable. Right now there isn't much out there that would make me replace my FJR because other than the weight, nothing else works for me at the moment.

You can also check out 200 plus pages of what others have done and are doing if you are a mind to.

Back