• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Talk to me about sport touring bikes

I've had my '02 R1150GSA since '11 and have put about 30k miles on it in that time. It's never had a problem that wasn't age related other than one HES sensor at around 35k miles. I had the alternator rebuilt and put a new belt on while I was in there for peace of mind (it uses a Bosch unit that is also used on some cars). Mechanically it has been one of the most reliable and cheapest vehicles I've owned.

I keep a spare final drive bearing and hall effects sensor handy since they're not common parts but I've never needed them after replacing the one HES.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

@92'Bearkat I know the story behind your avatar and appreciate your homage to a lesser celebrated piece of Texas history.

Back OT ...

Everyone has a buddy who has had or read on the interweb about maintenance nightmares with every brand of motorized vehicle.
Going all in on that information is a sucker's bet and one misses out on some very fine rides.

I had a few one night and decided to make the permanent on my left arm. So I have an arm on an arm. But yes, little piece of Texas history

@92'Bearkat I know the story behind your avatar and appreciate your homage to a lesser celebrated piece of Texas history.

Back OT ...

Everyone has a buddy who has had or read on the interweb about maintenance nightmares with every brand of motorized vehicle.
Going all in on that information is a sucker's bet and one misses out on some very fine rides.

Mine even says it on the side...

Use as directed :lol2:

I am thinking about selling me 2016, has 7700 miles on it. Great bike!

I have the R1200RS and can't say enough good things about it. Chassis dynamics and electronically controlled suspension are world class. Prices on the 1200 have become reasonable since the 1250 came out.

Concours 1400 is my vote, but I'm biased. 45K on mine with no issues. Get a 2011 or newer; lots of good used bikes out there.

A real mile eater - and back tire eater.

Yesterday I finally had a chance to take my new to me DL 1000 VStrom for a cross county back road jaunt to blow off the city highway and workday comute cob webs. Woo hoo. Now I understand why Stromxtc suggested it as a possible sport tourer. While it is not CBR1000RR or 950 SMR fast, nimble or agile it is deceptively indeed all those things when compared to my Super T.

Regardless of road surface or curviness its compliant plush suspension made it a joy to sportbike it even through the tightest of bends. Its engine made it a breeze to power through bends, pass slow moving traffic and cell phone reading cagers. Its frame and riding position gave it a confidence inspiring feeling that you were never in over your head regardless of the speed. That is why I can not wait untill my wonderful mrs. gets her m/c endorsement so that I can give her the keys and she too can experience that same joy of riding it for herself.

All I can say is yes a DL 1000 VStrom does make a wonderful sport tourer and thank you Doug, hope the SMR is bringing you the same joy of ownership.

Last edited:
Yesterday I finally had a chance to take my new to me DL 1000 VStrom for a cross county back road jaunt to blow off the city highway and workday comute cob webs. Woo hoo. Now I understand why Stromxtc suggested it as a possible sport tourer. While it is not CBR1000RR or 950 SMR fast, nimble or agile it is deceptively indeed all those things when compared to my Super T.

Regardless of road surface or curviness its compliant blush suspension made it a joy to sport bike it even through the tightest of bends. Its engine made it a breeze to power through bends, pass slow moving traffic and cell phone reading cagers. Its frame and riding position gave it a confidence inspiring feeling that you were never in over your head regardless of the speed. That is why I can not wait untill my wonderful mrs. gets her m/c endorsement so that I can give her the keys and she too can experience that same joy of riding it for herself.

All I can say is yes a DL 1000 VStrom does make a wonderful sport tourer and thank you Doug, hope the SMR is bringing you the same joy of ownership.
I know I love mine, especially having only six thousand dollars in it used. Most bang for the buck new or used IMO

Back