• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TAR 2010, April 15 - 18, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotten permission from the supreme leader to ride again this year :). Hopefully my bike will not be traded in for a 4 wheel baby stroller later this year.
Looking forward to riding with you Rusty. I booked a tent spot at the KOA again, but I'm much better prepared if the temp drops below 40F like last year.

Tommi

Just posted a TAR TECH DAY / FISH FRY COMBO over in the General Dirtiness section. Come on out and prep your bike and pig out on fried catfish.
Hope to see ya there!!!

Ron

Instead of padding up the seat, I decided padding up the other end was better option. I have no problem with the KLR stock :mrgreen:
I have Sargents on both the GS and the KLR, among the best mods on both bikes :deal:

I just road the TAR routes this weekend with a friend....some notes while riding...

1. White Mountain road about 1 1/2 mile from the turnoff on 55 next to the Rocksprings Golf course is now CLOSED with a new large six foot fence. The other routing option is to take highway 674 from Rockspring and connect with CR 674 to connect to White Mountain Road. I tried going down the fence line on the private side for an opening to White Mountain Road for about six miles but to no avail.

2. I discussed with the Legends Inn owner and he said several ranchers have been vocal that certain dual-sport riders have been "chasing" their cows on the the various ranches. I don't know if there is any truth to this.

3. I also encountered several country roads that have a new combination lock. It is on public roads but I guess the property owners are trying to control who uses the road.

If it IS is a public road, I guess you could use wire cutters and then patch the fence wire as you ride through leaving a written message on the locked gate telling the rancher you can't lock out the public domain...

meditate.gif

All other roads are in great condition and the water level in James River crossing seems to have subsided. Also, my friend and I had to ride through a massive clear-cut fire on both sides of the county road approaching Junction with thick smoke and flames for about a 1/4 mile within 25 yards of the road...never again...cough!

RB

I just road the TAR routes this weekend with a friend....some notes while riding...

1. White Mountain road about 1 1/2 mile from the turnoff on 55 next to the Rocksprings Golf course is now CLOSED with a new large six foot fence. The other routing option is to take highway 674 from Rockspring and connect with CR 674 to connect to White Mountain Road. I tried going down the fence line on the private side for an opening to White Mountain Road for about six miles but to no avail.

2. I discussed with the Legends Inn owner and he said several ranchers have been vocal that certain dual-sport riders have been "chasing" their cows on the the various ranches. I don't know if there is any truth to this.

3. I also encountered several country roads that have a new combination lock. It is on public roads but I guess the property owners are trying to control who uses the road.

If it IS is a public road, I guess you could use wire cutters and then patch the fence wire as you ride through leaving a written message on the locked gate telling the rancher you can't lock out the public domain...

:zen:

RB

1. Which side of the golf course/airport were you? North or South? I know Garmin is convince the county road is south, but the road sign for it is at the north end. However on many maps it shows both as possibilities. I've always turned at the sign since I got to it first. You other route you suggest is the one we avoid because there is a section in the middle that may or may not be public road. I may need to ride out there and check it out.

2. Yeah, this is a biggie. Definitely be careful around livestock. Specially the sheep. They seem to be the jumpiest. We have to remember that these animals are the landowner's income source. You don't want them trying their tractors in your server farm, so don't ride your bike into the middle of their animals. Take it nice and slow. It's a ride, not a baja race.

3. I would say never cut wire. If there is a lock then it is time to reroute and figure out the problem later. Something may have changed since your maps were made. Some of these roads revert back to private only when the residents take over maintenance. Better to just move along than generate any ill will, specially if the landowner's are right.

1. Which side of the golf course/airport were you? North or South? I know Garmin is convince the county road is south, but the road sign for it is at the north end. However on many maps it shows both as possibilities. I've always turned at the sign since I got to it first. You other route you suggest is the one we avoid because there is a section in the middle that may or may not be public road. I may need to ride out there and check it out.

2. Yeah, this is a biggie. Definitely be careful around livestock. Specially the sheep. They seem to be the jumpiest. We have to remember that these animals are the landowner's income source. You don't want them trying their tractors in your server farm, so don't ride your bike into the middle of their animals. Take it nice and slow. It's a ride, not a baja race.

3. I would say never cut wire. If there is a lock then it is time to reroute and figure out the problem later. Something may have changed since your maps were made. Some of these roads revert back to private only when the residents take over maintenance. Better to just move along than generate any ill will, specially if the landowner's are right.

1. If you're going south out of Rocksprings on 55 and make a right at the golf course (road) which merges into White Mountain road...about a mile and a half, there is a large new fence. This is using the latest Mapsource version and using Richard's route. Perhaps there might be an alternative route waiting to be discovered.

trustme.gif

2. I always slow down and stop waiting for the farm animals to cross. However, the Legends Inn owner seemed to indicate that the dual-sport rider actually got off the county road and were riding on private property chasing animals. I can't imagine anyone stupid and thoughtless to do this.

3. Cutting in general is bad policy, but I would mark the county road on a piece of paper that is closed and perhaps ask the Sheriff if indeed that road has to be legally locked.

RB

If there is a lock then it is time to reroute and figure out the problem later.

Absolutely right. The issue probably won't be solved at the time you come upon a locked gate. Make a note of all the details and then place a call to the county commissioner for that county. If it is truly a public road, then lodging a complaint with the commissioner is the next step - part of the commissioner's job is fixing stuff like that.

1. White Mountain road about 1 1/2 mile from the turnoff on 55 next to the Rocksprings Golf course is now CLOSED with a new large six foot fence.

Red,

The correct road to turn on from Hwy 55 is CR 310. It is north of the airport and the golf course and it is marked as CR 310. It joins/becomes White Mountain Road a few miles south of the airport. The old White Mtn Rd was gated off a while back and, as Rusty noted, GPS maps haven't been updated. I included this change in the new Hill Country guide but it's not in the older TAR guides.

2. I always slow down and stop waiting for the farm animals to cross. However, the Legends Inn owner seemed to indicate that the dual-sport rider actually got off the county road and were riding on private property chasing animals. I can't imagine anyone stupid and thoughtless to do this.

I truly hope no one was stupid enough to do that. If anyone were to do that I truly hope they get caught and prosecuted.

On the other hand, the first year of TAR a city resident called the police and claimed we were doing wheelies up and down main street. At the time the complaint was made I had been standing in the parking lot of the Lazy T on Main Street for about an hour visiting (it was evening when the complaint was made) and no such incident occurred. The cops responded but couldn't find anyone actually riding a motorcycle at the time so they stopped and visited with us in the parking lot (and told us of the complaint). It was a complete falsehood, but that didn't stop that person from making the claim. There are always a few who try to make trouble for others even if it involves lying or other dishonest stuff.

Last edited:
Red,

The correct road to turn on from Hwy 55 is CR 310. It is north of the airport and the golf course and it is marked as CR 310. It joins/becomes White Mountain Road a few miles south of the airport. The old White Mtn Rd was gated off a while back and, as Rusty noted, GPS maps haven't been updated. I included this change in the new Hill Country guide but it's not in the older TAR guides.

Ok...also CR 322 coming into CR320 is gated with a combination lock near Junction.

RB

Ok...also CR 322 coming into CR320 is gated with a combination lock near Junction.

RB

Did it look like this?
55LockedgateonformerKimbleCR.jpg

There are 2 roads listed as CR 322 on both City Navigator (GPS) and Google Maps. One of them is actually a private road with gate & lock. The pic above is one I took of that private road back in 2006 while exploring the area. The other road listed on the map as CR 322 is the actual CR 322 and was open as of last year.

Red, Thanks for the info. "padlocks on public roads" ? Was considering going. However, not anymore.
Thanks again for the heads up.

Did it look like this?
55LockedgateonformerKimbleCR.jpg

There are 2 roads listed as CR 322 on both City Navigator (GPS) and Google Maps. One of them is actually a private road with gate & lock. The pic above is one I took of that private road back in 2006 while exploring the area. The other road listed on the map as CR 322 is the actual CR 322 and was open as of last year.

It looks different in late afternoon. I can't tell if it's the same one. The road leading up to this gate, was rough with fairly large chunks of rock and not well maintained which is always good for for us on a WR250.

I am curious as to how both City Navigator and Google list it as a public road, yet, it is classified as private. Could it be a new status change from the past two years?

This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened. Remember, that one time a few years back, when your GPS had a county road going through a farmer's back yard on a small group ride...the owner came out brandishing a firearm.
icon_miffed.gif
BTW, that was the same ride we stopped briefly in Castell to watch the dancing rooster. I was informed during this weekend, the famous rooster has passed on to greener pastures.
icon_sad.gif

It might be an worthwhile idea getting a list of ranches in the area that have large acreage and getting permission to ride on their property. Every rider could pay a small fee to do so and it might be a nice way for the rancher to pocket a little bit of change.

RB

Richard,

I placed an order for a ride guide last week, and have booked my room at the Hills in Junction. I will pay my TAR registration fee on-site Thursday when I get there.

Still looking for anyone who wants to meet up in San Antonio on Thursday around noon-time and ride up to Junction. I know of some cool dirt roads between San Antonio and Bandera heading towards Kerrville but after that, I'm clueless.

Bill Payne
(210) 521-1580
bpayne13@aol.com

Richard,

I placed an order for a ride guide last week, and have booked my room at the Hills in Junction. I will pay my TAR registration fee on-site Thursday when I get there.

Still looking for anyone who wants to meet up in San Antonio on Thursday around noon-time and ride up to Junction. I know of some cool dirt roads between San Antonio and Bandera heading towards Kerrville but after that, I'm clueless.

Bill Payne
(210) 521-1580
bpayne13@aol.com

Bill, I'm still a maybe for Thursday. Still trying to get the day off.

OK Richard I'm in at the Sun Valley and your check is "in the mail" LOL:rider: Lary Maybe BIG AL will let me ride with him again this year

I am curious as to how both City Navigator and Google list it as a public road, yet, it is classified as private. Could it be a new status change from the past two years?

I think that road used to be CR 322 years ago but that the county closed it and they either built a new CR 322 or converted another road into CR 322. Eventually the maps will catch up to the changes.

Just a reminder......We are having a tech day/fish fry at my place this Sat the 27th. if you need to wrench on your bike before TAR this is the chance.
See the thread under General Dirtiness.

I have to replace my tires before the TAR so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I was planning on getting something like the Anakee/Tourance since I primarily ride on pavement, but wasn't sure if that would work well for TAR. Any recommendations? I have an BMW F650 classic so the tire choice is somewhat limited.

Peter,

I'm a big fan of a 50/50 type knobby tire on front and a dual sport tire on back. I've been running a TKC80 tire on the front and a Tourance on the back of my Wee-Strom for about 3 years now. I previously ran a similar combo on the KLR I used to have and just did the same change to my Husky.

For me and the type of riding I do, it has proven to be an excellent setup. The TKC80 up front does great on pavement and has enough bite in the dirt to keep the front end from washing out (I hate it when the front end washes out). I don't mind if the back end slides around a bit in the dirt so I opt for a longer-life-on-pavement adventure tire like the Tourance on the back.

jajajaja not so fast

Understand that Richard is a skilled rider. He could make two totally slick, treadless tires work in complete mud and sand.

I hadn't really considered the combination plate. It sound like a good idea since loosing the front end is worse than the rear and wear is a bigger issue with the rear. Now I just have to decide on which rear to pair with the TKC 80. I'm tempted to go the cheaper route with a Shinko 705 or a Kenda 761 or the higher end like a Tourance or Gripster. Thanks for the advice.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back