• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: TARA monthly dual sport adventure ride

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
The Austin TARA (Texas Adventure Riders Association) Chapter sponsors a monthly dual sport adventure ride the first Saturday of every month. All riders are invited to attend.

We meet at 8:30 am at the Texaco gas station/convenience store, 18901 Hamilton Pool Road, Dripping Springs, 78620 (intersection of Hwy 12 and Hamilton Pool Rd/3238). Stands up at 9 am.

There is no designated ride leader for the monthly ride (i.e. no one is in charge). Riders self-organize into small groups and then enjoy a fun day in the Texas hill country.

We have two options for routes.

1. There are 12 different planned routes, one for every month of the year.
These planned routes do not always include dirt because of the distance we have to ride west from Austin to get to the dirt. The shorter pavement only routes include the best pavement to be found in the hill country (outside of the 3 Twisted Sisters). The routes that include dirt tend to be longer due to the distance we have to ride to get to dirt. Click here to go to the page with the gpx files for the monthly rides.

Jan: Wimberley, 126 miles, pavement only, 1 low water crossing
Feb: Luckenbach, 182 miles, some dirt
Mar: Willow City Loop, 174 miles, pavement only
April: San Saba, 226 miles, dirt
May: Fredericksburg, 229 miles, dirt
June: Johnson City, 124 miles, a little dirt, beautiful low water crossing
July: Marble Falls, 141 miles, pavement only
Aug: Round Mountain / Spicewood, 132 miles, dirt
Sep: Kendalia, 147 miles, some dirt, beautiful low water crossing
Oct: James River, 225 miles, dirt, largest water crossing in Texas (very slick)
Nov: Pontotoc, 222 miles, dirt
Dec: Burnet, 151 miles, pavement only

2. Your second choice is to pick one of the five dirt rides and ride it instead of the planned monthly route.
Ride 1 - San Saba, 229 miles
Ride 2 - Pontotoc, 222 miles
Ride 3 - Onion Creek, 197 miles
Ride 4 - James River, 225 miles
Ride 5 - Upper Sisterdale Road, 180 miles

Click here to go to the page with the dirt rides gpx files.

All routes are suitable for any street legal dual sport or adventure bike. There is no public single track or off-road riding in the hill country so all routes are ridden on public roads.

What if the weather is bad? The ride still occurs. There is a chance you may be the only rider to show up, but the ride is never cancelled. This way, no matter what the weather forecast, those riders who want to ride always have a scheduled ride.

What if there is an event (such as a rally) scheduled for that same weekend? The first Saturday ride is still on. This way those riders who aren't attending the other ride/rally have a scheduled Saturday ride they can attend.

What if someone else is organizing a day ride on Sunday? The Saturday ride is still happening. Any and all other rides are in addition to the monthly Saturday ride, not a replacement for the Saturday ride.

The first Saturday ride is never cancelled. It is always on.

Last edited:
Thanks Rich !! I really appreciate the work you put into this. It is so valuable to have access to the info you provide[emoji846].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is fantastic. Thanks Rich. Id like to do part of that San Saba Route coming up. What time do you guys generally come into Llano? Looks like a good place to meet you from where I would be.

I might be up for this San Saba ride. I will camp somewhere Friday night then meet you guys at 8:30 at the gas station.

I have a camp site near horseshoe bay, anybody familiar with anything close to dripping springs?

I might be up for this San Saba ride. I will camp somewhere Friday night then meet you guys at 8:30 at the gas station.

I have a camp site near horseshoe bay, anybody familiar with anything close to dripping springs?

Kevin, Pedernales Falls SP between Johnson City and Drip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was about to say that I'd do that one with you, but then realized how long that route is and that it would be a 550 mile day for me.

I was about to say that I'd do that one with you, but then realized how long that route is and that it would be a 550 mile day for me.

Split it up into two days. Camp out with me Saturday night. I will probably be going back to bear foot.

I got my weekends mixed up, did not realize the first April weekend is Easter.

Well I am headed out this Friday to somewhere for a couple of days.

Am I reading this right that the April route is the San Saba route and it is 455 miles?

When I pull the route from the TARA file, it looks like this:

But is this the actual route for the ride?

Last edited by a moderator:
San Saba ride is 229 miles according to Basecamp, so link two is correct.

Not sure what RWGPS did on the first link. I'm thinking it somehow failed to separate the dirt routes from each other.

In for San Saba.

It's a long shot but if I leave Dublin, Tx at 0700 in the morning I can be in Round Mountain by 0930. Just to warn y'all if you have a 1200GSA following you it just might be me.
In order for me to meet at 0830 I would have to either have to leave tonight or at 0530. Neither one is really an option for me. Worse case we won't meet up and I still get a great ride in. Win win either way.

What is a good spot for a break in San Saba? Maybe some outdoors lunch?

This is the best route of the bunch, priorities guys.

This is the best route of the bunch, priorities guys.
Yes, and I downloaded to be able to ride . . . another day. Nasty weather plus second Vaccine shot today. Those were the priorities.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

@SimonL - thanks for leading today. That was a great route and pace. Just when I think I've seen all the good stuff in The Hill Country, another awesome route comes along.

Cool to see things turning green and the bluebonnets everywhere. Also nice to sit down and have lunch with everyone as well. Starting to feel like normal times again.

20210410_115947.jpg

20210410_162831.jpg

20210410_140034.jpg

20210410_090134.jpg

20210410_104606.jpg

20210410_115840.jpg

Back